Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours driving me crazy

Options
  • 23-11-2008 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi the house next door to us is rented. I live in a semi and have been there for about 10 years. I have never had a problem until this year. New tenants moved in this year around march and in that time they have had about 5 parties which may not seem much to some but in 10 years there have been none prior to them moving in.
    Apart from the parties they can also be quite loud i can hear her shouting at her child almost daily. They have there moments of playing loud music also.
    Last nite they had a party and the loud thumping music blasting thru my walls was a disgrace. It got louder and louder and stopped around 12 and they left to go to the pub. Dh reckons they are on drugs as well as the loud thumping music is the same beat over and over as if they are getting a high out of it. I heard them come back in the early hours of this morning. Its only about 3 weeks since the last party and this one was much louder.
    I think they are getting louder as they are getting away with it.
    Its really stressing me out and i feel quite depressed. Its like its destroying the peace in my own home. I know i am probably over reacting but if i hear people going into there house i freak like its another party. Sometimes they dont play loud music but have people in and i can hear them talking really loudly all over my house. I know they are drinking as they get louder.
    My dh wont get involved in doing anything about it. They are not the type of people i would feel comfortable approaching. We are moving next summer and we will be renting our house and i am worried that our tenants will complain to us about the noise next door and i think its unfair to rent knowing that the neighbours have a tendency to be noisy.
    Dh thinks i should take a chill pill. Its very hard to chill out with loud thumping music. I had headphones on last nite in bed and could hear there stereo over my music. Thats to loud in my opinion.
    Has anyone else felt the way i do in a similar situation and offer me some advice.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

You need to speak to their landlord as there should be a clause in their lease requiring them not to cause a nuisance to neighbours. If the landlord does not take notice or is uncontactable you should contact the enviroment section of your county council who will deal with the problem. Most importantly though, dont mention that you think they are taking drugs - just give them all the facts and let them draw their own conclusions!!. You are entitled by law to peace in your own home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Do you know any of the local Garda? If you could have a little chat with them they might make a few visits to disrupt the partys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

5 parties in 7 months?And that's unreasonable? :confused:
    I realise there are many other problems but these parties don't seem to be such an issue, imo of course.

Take the action the two posters have suggested, good advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Dh reckons they are on drugs as well as the loud thumping music is the same beat over and over as if they are getting a high out of it.

haha, how ignorant are you?

5 parties in 7 months (that end at midnight as well), big deal. Maybe sell your half of the house if you are uncomfortable sharing.

haha, how ignorant are you?

Thats not really very helpful is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Thats not really very helpful is it?

It is. I'm trying to give them a bit of perspective on the world to help them accept their new neighbours. They're the ones I feel sorry for.

It is. I'm trying to give them a bit of perspective on the world to help them accept their new neighbours. They're the ones I feel sorry for.

Mmm, you could have done that without sneering and calling the OP ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

Not to sure but have the new 'Noise Pollution laws' come into effect yet..if they continue to cause you hasle you, you can ring the gardai for late night noise, also seek advoice from your local council on what the local byelaws are in relation to noise impacting on your quality of life...

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Clearly you are inconsiderate, selfish and ignorant just like the OP's new neighbours. This "screw everyone else as long as I have my fun" attitude really annoys me.

The OP has a right to peace and quiet and I would strongly encourage them to pursue their rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭uncanny

ravendude wrote: »
    The OP has a right to peace and quiet and I would strongly encourage them to pursue their rights.

I would also suggest that the OP's neighbours have a right to have a party once a month or so with loud music until midnight on a Saturday night. :eek:

Sounds to me like the OP is being a bit unreasonable here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The one and only warning here- be civil to each other and if you disagree with what someone has posted- refute the post, without attacking the poster. I will not warn people here individually- you will be banned if you misbehave. Regards, SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dunno about the weekends, but weekdays, I think after about 9pm or so, no noise above a certain limit. Before 9pm, any level is ok. Look at here for lots of info. It also states the steps to make.

In saying that, 5 parties in about 28 weeks isn't too bad. By this, I mean it isn't every week, and thus it's not a weekly thing, but a "once in a blue moon" thing.

Perhaps talk to them, and they may turn down the noise. It may seem odd, but they may think, due to the lack of any complaints, that their level of music is "ok". My advice would be to go mid-week, when they're sober, and no hangovers, or, in other words, when they're in a good frame of mind. In other words, yelling at them when they're drunk, or hungover next day may have no effect. Talking to them mid-week, and you may get better results. As for the drugs, meh. Don't mention it. Just the level of noise.

Finally, how you've lived there for 10 years doesn't really matter. It means that the last lot were nice to live with, but in the current situation, it means nothing. Bringing it into the conversation with them, like the mention of drugs, will just be noise to them, and may impede any progress you have with them over the noise levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. the semi beside me is rented to two blond young girls with a lot of makup (i only mention their haircolour, age and appearance as they perfectly confirm a popular cliché). Although there are no parties (anymore - they had only one and the noise inside and outside tha house was beyond belief. one of the neighbours must have made a strong complaint) there is constantly noise inside and outside their house. They are trampling down the stairs like a herd of elephants, door have no handles (apparently because there is a constant door banging coming from their side, they are shouting and screaming at each other outside the house like idiots (there is a student village near my place and i'm quite sure that it is kind of a genteic defect with young girls and sensless screaming).

the house has seem coming and going a few tenants. old and young ones. but they are the worst!

i absolutely sympathise with the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I don't even know how to reply to this. I'll just say what I'm thinking:

It was a Saturday night. They were having a party where they were listening to loud dance music. They turned off the music at midnight and went to the pub.

This is fairly normal behaviour and is not unreasonable. Yes, it might be slightly annoying, but they are entitled to have the odd party in their own home.

I think your overreaction (it is making you depressed) is very odd. My advice is you talk to your doctor to see why something small like this is having such a large effect on you.

You need to examine why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Im sorry to hear of your problem. I had this problem once also.

It is not unreasonable for you to complain. You have the right to peace and quiat at night in you own property. I had a small baby who was getting no sleep with renters next door. That is not on.

May I suggest that you complain to the resident before you go to the landlord. Simply ask them to be a little more considerate towords yourself and try and keep the noise down. If you get angry with them it will lead to a tence situation each time you meet them outside .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

amber1969 wrote: »
    Hi the house next door to us is rented. I live in a semi and have been there for about 10 years. I have never had a problem until this year.

Ok, noisy neighbours isn't ideal but even you'll agree you were spoiled in that situation.

To have perfect peace for 10 straight years from many different tenants isn't normal, it's exceptional! By the law of probabilities you were bound to get noisy neighbours at some stage.

And even then, maybe one party a month is not an issue. Sure it was at a weekend and ended at midnight, that's against the law now?
    Edit: maybe it is against the law but we can't tiptoe around for our neighbours always..... Again it was at the weekend and ended earlyish

You are overreacting and even your posts acknowledges this.
    You've not come across this issue before, it's pure chance it hasn't happened before now as you were lucky with your neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Do you know any of the local Garda? If you could have a little chat with them they might make a few visits to disrupt the partys.

all the gardai will say is , thats a civil matter , even they pay a visit , thats all they will do just so they can say they looked into it

you can contact the local authority , thier are nuisance laws in place though they are rarely enforced , be it with regard noise like this or dogs incessant barking

Advertisement