Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Granny Gate revealed - from the horse's mouth

• 23-11-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11679_4534108,00.html
    Ireland explains 'Grannygate'

Player felt he needed to back-up his girlfriend at a difficult time

Last updated: 22nd November 2008

Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland has revealed the full story behind the infamous 'Grannygate' affair.

Ireland has received hate mail after lying about a death in his family to be sent home from international duty when representing the Republic of Ireland.

He then pulled out of a subsequent squad to play Germany and Cyprus as he 'would not do his country or himself justice' and has not played for Ireland since.

Ireland told the Daily Telegraph: "What I'm going to say now has never come out before.
    Bad press

"But I feel it is maybe time to say something because I'm getting a very bad press in Ireland, with hate mail being sent here to the training ground."

Ireland received a call from his distressed girlfriend last September just hours before Ireland's clash in Slovakia.

"She was crying like mad, saying she'd had a miscarriage," said Ireland, who kept the news to himself and scored in the 2-2 draw.

But the then Republic boss Steve Staunton had heard something else on his return to the dressing room.

The 22-year-old continued: "The boss said there'd been a death in my family. My girlfriend had rang Steve's secretary and told her that.

Complete stranger

"She just wanted me home and she didn't want to tell a complete stranger that she'd had a miscarriage."

So Ireland flew home to find that media reports were saying that his grandma had died.

He added: "I thought 'Oh, no!' They'd dug a hole for me. A big hole. Steve said I should have just told him the truth. At the time, though, it was just chaos.

"My girlfriend was young. I was young. I didn't want to tell everyone my private business.

"Not only that, I couldn't turn around and say my girlfriend was lying. I had to stand by her."

So there you have it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

fair enough. I'm pretty sure everyone knew that was what happened by now, no?

does this apparent willingness to clear the air with the media and fans mean he is willing to do the same with regards the Irish setup? could this be paving the way for a return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Seems fair enough and hate mail is way out of order.
    Sure it was handled badly and the manager should have been told the truth.
    Who is to say you or I wouldn't have panicked in the situation and done something similar. You may claim you wouldn't but you never know, horrible thing to happen a young couple

They didn't have to explain it to the media at the time imo.
    A short statement about withdrawing for "personal reasons" would have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Hopefully this will pave his way for a return to the squad, god knows we need him. :) Hate mail, ffs some people have nothing better to do. :rolleyes:

One thing I'm confused about. There is a lot generally mentioned of alleged bullying of him in the past. Was that the same trip or another trip abroad ? I don't think he has ever mentioned it himself but have often seen people here and elsewhere use it as a reason for him to drop out of the squad in the 1st place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Xavi6 wrote: »

This doesn't explain why he hasn't made himself available for call up though?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Thanks for the lovely story and it calrifies one small thing that most people probably knew already and it is completely understandable how it happened.

However it doesn't explain his continued slapping in the face of the Irish team. I'm not sure about how other people feel but it should be an honour to play for your country. Only 11 people get to start each match and represent their country to say you're not bovered and blame , to quote kevin patterson, the bigger boys for picking on him is unacceptable. He's been asked by two seperate managers numerous times, to play and regardless of how good he is, i never want to see him play again for Ireland.

Great players had problems look at Gazza, but look at the passion he had when he played for England. You either have it or you don't and for all the talent in the world given me passion and a will to put the team first over it anyday.

/end rant, i'm just sick of listening to this little brat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I suspect the "hate mail" and bad press has more to do with his continued absence from the Irish set up.

The incident he talks about was a mistake, but in the heat of the moment it is understandable and more importantly forgiveable (and I think repeated efforts by the Irish set-up to get him back into the fold tells it's own tale)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Harsh on Steve , if I recieved hate mail like that I would certainly not be interested in playing for a country that abuses me, mocks me , hate mail and in general bad press.

He is a fantastic player, and is playing so well for city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There was a pretty abusive post there, glad to see it gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Anyone else agree that he head was all over the place at the time and one of the last things he was thinking was to make another excuse up ?

All he wanted was to get back to his partner and who here would not in that situation. I can tell you that I would not have waited around to conjure up another story. I would have packed the bags and be off. That said he could of informed the manager the following day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If Ireland comes back, will Trap pick him. Thats the terrifying thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I thought

I suspect this is yet another lie by S.I.

There's a common myth that excess thinking causes baldness. However, If this were so then Ireland would something like this guy:

afro4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Never mind 'granny gate' (most will forgive and forget) - where is he now? That's all that matters.

Hate mail for that is thick but if the guy wasn't such a cock and gave a crap about playing for his country maybe I'd be a little be more sympathetic. In the form he's in now, each goal he scores will be me with even more and more sour grapes this side of the oirish sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Savman wrote: »
    Never mind 'granny gate' (most will forgive and forget) - where is he now? That's all that matters.

Hate mail for that is thick but if the guy wasn't such a cock and gave a crap about playing for his country maybe I'd be a little be more sympathetic. In the form he's in now, each goal he scores will be me with even more and more sour grapes this side of the oirish sea.

Why is he a cock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He lied twice, so th thrid time must be the truth.

Why is he a cock?
    Eugh. Let's just say I'm not a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Eugh. Let's just say I'm not a fan.

Why though? Are you in possession of all the facts regarding his exile from international football? I'm not.

From a neutral football point of view I don't see how anyone could not be s fan at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I must admit he is in smoking form so far this year, and is extremely composed, just look at the finishes he's had against Arsenal, and Hull.

I for one would be delighted to see him in the Ireland Squad.

And i support United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

zAbbo wrote: »

Because he is a complete fruitcake!!

He is a player that we really could do with too..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

AHHHH, enough already.

Back on topic of Ireland I'd have more respect for him if he explained his reasons for not playing. If he said "I just don't want to, I'm not all that interested" or "The lads bullied me" then fair enough thats his reason. As it is no one knows. He is not obliged to explain obviously but it would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nice bit of getting personal up there.

Where someone lives hardly influences their opinion, or in fact, matters to this thread topic.

Grand.

So what if S. Ireland doesn't want to play for Ireland.

It's obviously helped his club career enormously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why though? Are you in possession of all the facts regarding his exile from international football? I'm not.

From a neutral football point of view I don't see how anyone could not be s fan at the moment.

but we are not neutral - we are irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Honestly, please all shut up, thanks.

Ireland eh? I have always been somewhat sympathetic about this situation. Difficult times make people do crazy things. Still would like him back in the squad.

Not questioning his ability, just his attitude towards his country. As for his 'exile' it's self-imposed and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, regardless of the granny thing which is history now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

In fairness how many people on here or in Ireland have given out about the FAI and what twats they are and all that, but then when we get a call up from said FAI we are supposed to run to it and be so happy to represent our country. I have said since about 2000 that I don't respect the Irish national team, if (Which will never happen) I got a call up I would honestly think twice about it. Now I am not the most patriotic in fairness but I have represented Ireland in another sport and I was proud to but I wouldn't be proud to represent Irish football.

Just my .02 cents and I don't expect anyone to agree with me but I just wanted to share my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    In fairness how many people on here or in Ireland have given out about the FAI and what twats they are and all that, but then when we get a call up from said FAI we are supposed to run to it and be so happy to represent our country. I have said since about 2000 that I don't respect the Irish national team, if (Which will never happen) I got a call up I would honestly think twice about it. Now I am not the most patriotic in fairness but I have represented Ireland in another sport and I was proud to but I wouldn't be proud to represent Irish football.

Just my .02 cents and I don't expect anyone to agree with me but I just wanted to share my opinion.
    I for one agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What the hell happens to Cork people when they get to Manchester that they can't seem to get on with the FAI?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What the hell happens to Cork people when they get to Manchester that they can't seem to get on with the FAI?
    Stephen Ireland's from Caaark? Jesus there really is no saving grace with that lad is there? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I say good luck to the lad, he's a fantastic player and we really need him.

If he wont play for us though why do we even waist our time talking about him? I dont want anybody in the squad who doesn't appreciate the honour. People have been very patient with him. He's had lots of chances to sort things out and even a change of manager who had meetings to address any concerns he has, but he wont come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Cobh too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'd like to see him back in a green shirt. We could sure use him. Didn't really need to know what happened with the fake granny.
    Stephen Ireland's from Caaark? Jesus there really is no saving grace with that lad is there? :pac:
    Oh no he didn't. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Pffff. As good as Stephen Ireland is, he is no Darren Gibson. Or Glen Whelan. He's not getting near the first team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I would have him instead of both in an instant.

Plus he get goals from midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Pffff. As good as Stephen Ireland is, he is no Darren Gibson. Or Glen Whelan. He's not getting near the first team!

Was that a serious comment or are you taking the piss ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

sarchasm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

I like the kid! I read on his wiki page he suffers from a certain diease that i wont mention just incase i get in trouble but i doubt its true! (Feel free to delete this mods!)

That press release told us nothing new to be honest. And to be honest if he made homself available Trap might have a pick against him so who knows. Techinically he's brilliant and was good this weekend probably because he wasnt running up and down a field chasing polish shadows!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

zAbbo wrote: »
    Hate mail pretty good reason for not wanting to return if your going to be treated like that.
    Secondly his gf never really lied it was a death in the family and talking to people about a miscarriage at his age while his gf is still probably depressed over i don't blame him keeping his trap shut until they can comfort her first and get her through the whole situation. Maybe if people stop giving him stick he'll return ya never know.

Advertisement