Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When throw ins go wrong.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

in fairness, it serves him right. he was way too close to the throw taker and should have been given a yellow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nice of the white number 16 to screw up the second throw in to save face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

in fairness, it serves him right. he was way too close to the throw taker and should have been given a yellow.
    That is not a yellow card offence. You are fully entitled to stand in front of the thrower, you are not allowed to unfairly impeded or distract the thrower or move if they move their position to avoid where you are standing.

In this video there was no offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bluetonic wrote: »
    That is not a yellow card offence. You are fully entitled to stand in front of the thrower, you are not allowed to unfairly impeded or distract the thrower or move if they move their position to avoid where you are standing.

In this video there was no offence.

Au contraire -

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/laws_of_the_game_0708_10565.pdf
    All opponents must stand no less than 2 meters from the point at
    which the throw-in is taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I stand corrected.

When did that change as ten years ago when I last played in the LSL that wasn't the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Is throwing the ball like that not illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I stand corrected.

When did that change as ten years ago when I last played in the LSL that wasn't the case.

also
    If an opponent unfairly distracts or impedes the thrower:
    • he is cautioned for unsporting behaviour and shown the yellow
    card

which happened in this case. Pretty sure this rule has been in the game for donkey's years, but referee's often fail to enforce it properly at all levels of the game.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Is throwing the ball like that not illegal?
    At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower:
    • faces the fi eld of play
    • has part of each foot either on the touch line or on the ground
    outside the touch line
    • uses both hands
    • delivers the ball from behind and over his head

to my eye he didn't break any of these rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Imagine the distance Rory Delap would get if he started using that technique. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Imagine the distance Rory Delap would get if he started using that technique. LOL

Throw in on the far side I'd imagine :D

Still he could probably launch bombs from his own half...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

thats some thrown in, pretty impressive, especially since it looked pretty wet, I was expecting the thrower in to go sliding into the guy as he put the ball on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

He's a brave guy to stand in the same place for the second throw after he got pummelled in the face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jeez it appears to be an epidemic in the States -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Wtf, imagine someone had done that to Keane, Cantona, Vinny Jones. Two footed tackles would be flying in for the rest of the match. Drogba would be in A&E though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Funny thing is that the guy went there for more a minute later and got lucky he didn't get hit that time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I stand corrected.

I remember it being brought in. Only about 2 or 3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Brought in in my league at the start of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Has there been any studies into the effectiveness (or otherwise) of throw-ins like these? I can't imagine them being of any benefit to an attacking team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Some guy at, I think, Newcastle used to do this about 10 years back. The distance gained generally doesn't make up for the accuracy lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

EF wrote: »
    Drogba would be in A&E though
    In fairness, it looked/sounded pretty sore so I don't think you can really Drogba-bash on this one.

Agree that it looks like a dodgy technique - pretty entertaining though. Must be the Americans trying to spice up soccer - reminds me of those Budweiser "Extra time multi-ball" and "Team Manchester" ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Those crazy Americans :D

hehe yeh that vid is doing the rounds... Neil if you remember I did that throw in a few times in college for Griff... before the beers caught up on me

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

He would proberly break his neck if he tried to do that:D

Advertisement