Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike for Track days

• 23-11-2008 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey,

Was thinkin bout gettin a bike for track days next year and keepin my good bike for road use. The bike i have already is a mint GSXR 750 K4 and don't want to throw it down the track. Don't have a van or anything for transporting, therefore bike has to be road legal. I'm undecided about which to buy. I don't want to spend a fortune. I was thinkin GSXR 750 SRAD 96-99 (carburrated or fuel injected), GSXR 750 2000 (new shape), or an old 900 blade. Anyone used any of these bikes for track days before? Also any suggestions on other bikes to use! All feedback appreciated.

Cheers,
    Dhev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

pre 97 class is a good one to start in,lot of the lads use cbr6's
    theres a new 400 class starting in the new season
    if its just for track days and no raceing go for whatever youre pocket can afford
    remmeber if you drop her its expensive to repair
    my 2 cents worth if its any use to you bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

jambofc wrote: »
    if its just for track days and no raceing go for whatever youre pocket can afford

Cheers for reply. I'd only be doin track days on it, and the commute back and over to the track. I live in Maynooth, so it's a shame i couldn't have a non road going bike, just for track. But don't got a van for transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Ronan3345

Where is there track days in the dublin area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Ronan3345 wrote: »
    Where is there track days in the dublin area?
    Mondello is the closest.

To OP: it's a pity you can't get yourself a proper track bike with proper slicks and all...

Anyway, of the bikes you mentioned I'd go with the '00 GSXR 750 2000 (new shape). She'd be perfect for Mondello! I think the 900 'blade is too big for that small track but it would be a good track bike to have nonetheless!

Get whatever you can afford sure!

Mondello is the closest.

To OP: it's a pity you can't get yourself a proper track bike with proper slicks and all...

Anyway, of the bikes you mentioned I'd go with the '00 GSXR 750 2000 (new shape). She'd be perfect for Mondello! I think the 900 'blade is too big for that small track but it would be a good track bike to have nonetheless!

Ya, was thinkin the gixxer 750 new shape. I had a K1 600 before, brilliantly ballanced, but could have done with a little bit more poke. I was told it was more than likely a track bike before, as it had braided hoses and a slipper clutch and the fairrings were imaculate.

Do you do many track days Steffano2002? I'm thinkin bout getting into it as the roads aren't very licence friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Track bikes work out cheaper than road bikes because the vrt (and possibly the vat also) isnt paided on them from new. Of couse you dont have the hassle of insurance or tax also. If you dont have a van, then you should get a bike trailer, you can pick up cheap but reasonable ones for 200/300quid. Handy to have a car and transport home in case you drop the bike, and to bring any spare etc you might want for the day.

Just my 2 pence tho, I'm more an mx man, and driving home on knobblies cover in sh!t isnt an option for me :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

hmm, dont mean to highjack the thread, but are there any lads at the track days on supermoto bikes? few friends of my have got sets of supermoto wheels for there bikes, i wouldnt mind doing that also, and would love to get a spin around mondello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Chatterbeast

Mondello is the closest.

I think the 900 'blade is too big for that small track but it would be a good track bike to have nonetheless!

As said...the 900 would be wasted in Mondello. It'd be ok for Kirkistown as there's longer straights, but for Mondello...a 600 would suffice. A 96/97 CBR600 or a ZX6 (as I have) is more than enough. I drive there, from Navan, do the track day, and drive home.

I know if I bin the bike I'd be screwed for going home..but it's SOOOO worth it. Best of luck whatever way you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Parkie

jambofc wrote: »

Agreed lad, have had me K4 1000 on 5 trackdays this year and have to say although I love her to bits, she is a little fat for the twisty Mondello circuit.

An r6 or any other properly geared bike would be the job.....Sold a 400 with a spare engine and fairings this year, naturally straight after, I heard rumours about the new indivudal racing class.:eek:

Fecking sick or wha...???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

dhev wrote: »
    Ya, was thinkin the gixxer 750 new shape. I had a K1 600 before, brilliantly ballanced, but could have done with a little bit more poke. I was told it was more than likely a track bike before, as it had braided hoses and a slipper clutch and the fairrings were imaculate.

Do you do many track days Steffano2002? I'm thinkin bout getting into it as the roads aren't very licence friendly.
    Sorry for the late reply Dhev! Only saw your post today...

I don't do may track days, just the odd one. But I did start racing in 2008 and I'm passioante about it! Best craic ever!!!

Track days are fun, no doubt, but racing is far more entertaining IMO! Give it a try if you can sure! It's costly but worth every penny! ;)

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    hmm, dont mean to highjack the thread, but are there any lads at the track days on supermoto bikes? few friends of my have got sets of supermoto wheels for there bikes, i wouldnt mind doing that also, and would love to get a spin around mondello.
    Seen a few lads on SuperDukes alright but it is quite rare... Tell your mates to give it a try sure! Might be loads of people in the same situation!

Parkie wrote: »
    Agreed lad, have had me K4 1000 on 5 trackdays this year and have to say although I love her to bits, she is a little fat for the twisty Mondello circuit.

An r6 or any other properly geared bike would be the job.....Sold a 400 with a spare engine and fairings this year, naturally straight after, I heard rumours about the new indivudal racing class.:eek:

Fecking sick or wha...???:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Yeah it's a pity you won't have that bike for next year's 400cc Championship! :(

I actually got a GSXR 1000 (K2) for next season and I'm looking to sell my '96 CBR 600. So I'm going from the Pre'97 Championship to the 701 - 1010cc Championship. The main reason why I did this is not because I want a faster bike but because I'm fat and the CBR was a little too cramped for me. The Gixxer is much fatter and I can't wait to see how it feels in February in Mondello (first track day of '09 - can't wait!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

My dream bike for track days would be another daytona 675 :)
    I have an r1 now and still sometimes miss my 675.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

A buddy of mine uses a GSXR750. Its a 01 and he swears by it.

cheers lads for all the feed back on this topic, there's a few options in there i never thought of. Still have to wait to see if the recession is gonna affect me and my budget. Might just cross my fingers and go for it.:)

Advertisement