Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surf skools in europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

Hey , Im looking to go there...where are you staying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Went to a camp a few years ago near sagres with some mates.

They had a makeshift bar downstairs where all drinks were €1

You had to drive 20 min + to find shops, tourists or any form of life for that matter.

Instructors were well clued in.

Best holiday i've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 foxymarrylou

will3k wrote: »
    Hey man,
    I'm staying in a place called Tamraght. Think it's pretty close to Taghazoute. The reports are looking perfect alright 5/6ft offshore rights peeling off forever!!
    I'll post up how I get on. :)

How was the trip Will3k?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

How was the trip Will3k?!!

Well folks,
    Had a good week on the trip, unfortunatly the weather didn't play ball. There were 2/3 storms that hit in the 1 week I was there, swells were 5/6M and winds onshore and strong.
    I got out a few days, most time on some days spent fighting the white water, others when the wind was not so strong were nice. And the last day, when the storms passed, was great :) , best waves I've ever been on.

The weather kinda ruined it to be honest, but fortunatly I did get a glimps of what it can be like when it works in Morocco, and its fantastic. Perfect rights.

The place I stayed was nice, and run by great folks, but the village was real quiet. That wouldn't have been such a problem if I was surfing all day, but coz I wasn't, I wasn't tired and wanted to go boozing which meant taxis to Agadir / Tagahoutze (SP?) There was literally 1 restaurant in walking distance of my camp, but you could get grup + beer etc in the camp, perfect for chilling out but kinda dead.

The surf can be awesome by the looks of it, and it was the week before I arrived, and is the week after I left - feicin typical!! :mad:
    I didn't think it was a good beginner place though, I'm not a beginner, but no expert either and found the waves heavy, fast, and steep. Most of the breaks are point breaks - meaning you gotta climb down the side of rocks / cliffs to jump in off boulders etc. making entrys and exits interesting :rolleyes: The couple of beachies I did surf were heavy too, and breaking on shallow banks.
    There is a lack of sheltered spots so if the swell is big, there's nowhere to hide.
    I got a lot of rain too, which ran down the side of mountains + villages into the sea and because towns can be quite a dirty the sea was pretty manky too.

Fed up typing now, so if you got any specific questions I'll answer them no probs. :)

Ah poop bout the weather. Were there many others in the group & did you have instruction or did you just do your own thing?

Last question - what board were you riding?

Still toying with the idea of Morocco...but a brief stint on my snowboard in Wicklow last wknd has me gagging for powder liiiiittle bit more than waves right now :D

• Advertisement

Ah poop bout the weather. Were there many others in the group & did you have instruction or did you just do your own thing?

Last question - what board were you riding?

Still toying with the idea of Morocco...but a brief stint on my snowboard in Wicklow last wknd has me gagging for powder liiiiittle bit more than waves right now :D

There were others in the group yup between 5-10 depending on the day, mostly fairly handy surfers.
    No instruction, just transport to the breaks.
    I was on a 7ft shortboard.

Cheers dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

There were others in the group yup between 5-10 depending on the day, mostly fairly handy surfers.
    No instruction, just transport to the breaks.
    Hey man,
    Do they just drop you off at the break early in the morning and pick u up on the evening or do they hang around for the day? I was just wondering how the whole surf camp side of it works. What breaks would you recommend for an improver? Ill be heading over on saturday for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I'm interested in something myself.
    Is there any where with a surf school beside a town on the beach where you don't have to travel to by bus or whatever?

I'd like somewhere for 4-5 days, for slightly more than a beginner, a 2hr lesson in the morning then use of the board all day but I don't want the hassle of hiring a car or being shipped around by bus.
    A one bed in a hostel or whatever would do.
    Safe beachs are a must too as I'd probably be venturing out most of the day alone.

I don't want to bring me own board either, any Bic will do, don't mind messing about on different types either.
    Of course some sort of nightlife at night would be great, something like a bar or a couple of restuarants. North Spain or Portugal would seem to be the best option mainly due to the price of provisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

i'd recommend the-surf-experience in lagos portugal, There are 2 surf experinces, one run by a german crowd which you live in a house out in the country and the other is a hostel type accomaodation in the town center run by a mad english guy, You pack up ur stuff on a few jeeps every morning and head to whereever the bestbreaksare, they provide breakfast and lunch and you usually get back to the town about 4 - totally recommend it
    http://www.surf-experience.com/index.html

• Advertisement

Looks interesting, I'll get back to you thanks.

Anywhere in Spain/Portugal where you don't have to drive or be driven to to get to the surf?

the problem with staying by the same beach is that you probably wont get good surf every day - even tullan strand has its bad days!

the problem with staying by the same beach is that you probably wont get good surf every day - even tullan strand has its bad days!

understood, would be great to have the freedom to head out whenever you want though. 3-4ft is good enough for me, also safe beach.

Decos wrote: »
    Hey man,
    Do they just drop you off at the break early in the morning and pick u up on the evening or do they hang around for the day? I was just wondering how the whole surf camp side of it works. What breaks would you recommend for an improver? Ill be heading over on saturday for a week.

Probably bit late for you, but the place I stayed brought you to the breaks and hung around waiting for you.
    The camp will know the best places for your level, but I found Panaroma, Killers, and Airports (think thats what it's called, near Boilers) to be good. Devil rock is bit of a more mellow beachy for the afternoon sessions. Have a good one.

On another note, I didn't bring my own board this time, but definitly will the next.

I've found this one "Arrifana Surf Lodge" http://www.arrifanasurflodge.com, 450 for a week, includes surf lessons and gear, food too. Still haven't booked but will have to decide this week.
    Any know anything about these guys?
    They say they're just beside Arrifana beach which suits me, they also say they transport other other spots, all surf dependant, looks promising to me anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Decided to bump this.
    Me and a friend (both complete and total beginners) are thinking of going on a surfing holiday in May. We're looking for somewhere that will offer good tuition but that will also have a good social aspect ie not in the middle of nowhere. All suggestions welcome

the surf experience - the english one in ( as opposed to the german one) in portugal. best time ever and really learnt to surf too

Daisies wrote: »
    Decided to bump this.
    Me and a friend (both complete and total beginners) are thinking of going on a surfing holiday in May. We're looking for somewhere that will offer good tuition but that will also have a good social aspect ie not in the middle of nowhere. All suggestions welcome

I'm heading to Arrifana Surf Lodge, mentioned 2 posts above, the week after next. i'll let you know how I get on. It came recommended on irishsurfers.com. It's a small setup, only 10 or so surfers, they provide accomodation, all food, tuition, gear, what more can you ask for. Hopefully it's as good as advertised and hopefully the surf is good, supposodly a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nanoman

I love it when a good thread goes back so long! I went on a solo trip to Lagos last year with those guys www.surfholidays.com. Stayed in the surf house - basically a house that sleeps about 15 in the centre of town.
    Its a cool town (actually a city but not sure why cos its all cobblestone streets).
    Ther's no surf in the actual town - they take you out every morning in the jeeps and go to the best surf beaches based on conditions -
    usually 20-40 minutes. Its a mixture of beginners getting lessons and for others taken out back to the green waves. Spent all day on the beach for a week surfing - got some really quality waves.

They take you back, you go for a quick powerkip and then out for a few beers. Its a kicking town, loads of bars and that cool vibe of walking up and down the old town at night in and out of bars with a beer in your hand.Sweet.

3 of us are going to Ericeira in May (based on recommendations from this thread!!!) Will report back :D

Nanoman wrote: »
    I love it when a good thread goes back so long! I went on a solo trip to Lagos last year with those guys www.surfholidays.com. Stayed in the surf house - basically a house that sleeps about 15 in the centre of town.
    Its a cool town (actually a city but not sure why cos its all cobblestone streets).
    Ther's no surf in the actual town - they take you out every morning in the jeeps and go to the best surf beaches based on conditions -
    usually 20-40 minutes. Its a mixture of beginners getting lessons and for others taken out back to the green waves. Spent all day on the beach for a week surfing - got some really quality waves.

They take you back, you go for a quick powerkip and then out for a few beers. Its a kicking town, loads of bars and that cool vibe of walking up and down the old town at night in and out of bars with a beer in your hand.Sweet.

3 of us are going to Ericeira in May (based on recommendations from this thread!!!) Will report back :D

thatr sounds like thesurf experience place - is it run by this mad dreadlocked english guy?

• Advertisement

yeh think so - Toby is his name. Think they work with the surfholidays.com guys or are part of them - I booked in with an Irish guy called Nicky. What did you think of Lagos? Great place - had a good old time in the Nah Nah Bar and the 3 monkeys. What beach did you surf most days?

yeah thats the dude toby- complete nutter!
    Lagos is a lovely little city, even has a few roman ruins to explore, we went all around following the surf sometimes driving for an hour to beaches in mad locations. Them four wheel drives got some work out. Cant wait to go back

Yeah, its a great spot - loads of choice. Ever been to Ericeira?

yeah think that was one of the beaches we visited, saw some german kid from the german surf experience surfing amazingly/ he was like ten years old!

I've just returned from Arrifana Surf Lodge after a week, pure class, highly recommended but only for folks interested in surf, relaxation and all round good time, not for the party types.

We surfed on 2 beaches, mostly the local one, Arrifana, great little spot and very safe.
    The surf was perfect for beginners over this week, 1-1.5 mts most days even a bit big at high tide but excellent stuff. Aldo was out with us at all times, real surf dude and excellent tutor, really knows his stuff, learned alot.

Very small group too only 4 of us, this is what you don't get with those surf experience and the like, I watched them in action on the same beach.

Food was excellent, fridge full of beer, rural location, great family and mostly bed by 11pm with sore body after a hard day.

I can't recommend this place enough for people travelling alone or couples.:D:D
    I'll be going back, maybe even before the end of year.

I've found this one "Arrifana Surf Lodge" http://www.arrifanasurflodge.com, 450 for a week, includes surf lessons and gear, food too. Still haven't booked but will have to decide this week.
    Any know anything about these guys?
    They say they're just beside Arrifana beach which suits me, they also say they transport other other spots, all surf dependant, looks promising to me anyway.

suppose every place is gonna have its ups and downs, its what you make of it...

Just got back a few weeks ago from a week in Ericeira in Portugal so I thought I’d let you know what its like. 3 of us travelled and had an epic trip,

There are a good few beaches in the town – we spent most of our time on Foz do Lizandro, really nice beach break and Sao Julio, another sweet beach break. Drove around a bit also – headed down to Lisbon, beach called Bica, in Estoril – 150 metre right hander – excellent :D. Went up to a beach called Santa Cruz, beach break, about 30 mins from Ericeira, and also to Peniche. Scored some great days – wasn’t that busy either – a lot of people hit the linup after 5, after work, but morning is quiet and had a lot of wave to ourselves. Its definitely worth a few dawn runs. The town has a psycho reef break called Coxos, locals told us there is rumours that the WCT Somewhere contest is gonna be held there later this year.

The town itself is an old school fishing village with zig zag cobblestone streets and cool on street cafes and restaurants. We booked with surfholidays.com and stayed in the Lodges. Sweet place, very laid back- and something like €300 each for the week. Couple of other surfers and groups there, so good craic having bbq’s and drinks and more drinks and…..

Id recommend a car for exploring as there are lots of different surf beaches, almost every beach is a surf beach from what we could see. Nightlife was good, one club stayed open until 8 am and you don’t know it until you walk outside and its bright! Then you walk home and see some people surfing epic waves and curse yourself…

Next trip scheduled for October – maybe Canaries or North Spain. Anyone being away yet this summer…let us know

Nanoman

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Few of us thinking of going to Lagos/Sagres in Portugal in October for a week. Just wondering if anyone has been around this time of year? There will be surf that time of year I would imagine but will the town be really quiet? Any recommendations on accommodation/surf schools would be great. Thanks

i went inoctober afew years ago, surf is great, the odd storm which gave some twirly waves, place is not chaos with tourists so there is more breathing space at nightclubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

i went inoctober afew years ago, surf is great, the odd storm which gave some twirly waves, place is not chaos with tourists so there is more breathing space at nightclubs

Cheers for that sickpuppy...sounds nice:D. We are all at different levels so trying to find a school which will cater for this now.

Advertisement