Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depeche Mode - TOUR OF THE UNIVERSE 2009

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

yeah block f!! Still stood-though-roll on bercy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Dave Fanning covered Depeche mode on 2fm on the same night as the gig. Click here, choose "I want to listen to a recording of the show" and it starts about 31:30 into the recording!!

The Dublin gig was amazing!! Roll on the London Arena on February 20th!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭golfball37

Looking forward to the O2 in London tonight now I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jarvisob

superb gig!

Dave Fanning covered Depeche mode on 2fm on the same night as the gig. Click here, choose "I want to listen to a recording of the show" and it starts about 31:30 into the recording!!

The Dublin gig was amazing!! Roll on the London Arena on February 20th!!! :D

How Irish-everybody at the bloody gig so dont hear it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Bloody excellent gig. Have liked them for years, but never bothered checking out their live shows till now. Fantastic too to read that this was one of their best shows.

Anyone know of it will be possible to access a legal download of this concert soon? Hadn’t they some project with Itunes for the last tour where one could choose which concert to buy? Was it called “Recording the Angel” or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yah the gig was fantastic, great sound,venue and crowd of course :D

It's called recording the universe.... I guess they will have dublin up soon ?

http://www.depechemodelive.com/Store/DisplayItems-1-recording+the+universe.html

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I think it was "Touring the Angel" in 2006 but I'm open to correction. Last Thursday was my first time seeing them also. I'm checking back here regular in the hope someone will post a download link. The good people of Boards look after their own!!

Just as an aside check out a review of their Birmingham show the other night. Sounds like Dublin was a better event altogether. Also check out the comments below, specifically the bottom one from a G Lorriman. Lolz...

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/live_reviews/article6956481.ece

word is it was one of a few that wasn't recorded! I have the previous tour from the Point though which is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭golfball37

Just back from London. Song selection on the Angel tour was much better imo. Nothing happened for 1st half hour it was downbeat. Gahan still a marvellous live singer and when they picked up it was fantastic.

Not as good as 2006 but still very good would be my review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

golfball37 wrote: »
    Just back from London. Song selection on the Angel tour was much better imo.

I would agree for the simple fact that the songs off Playing the Angel are much better than those off Sounds of the Universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Dublin - December 10th
    posted: December 16th, 2009
    I decided to bring the family to Dublin, as it was a very quick flight and relatively close to home. We arrived in Dublin at 8am and grabbed a bite to eat, had a walk around and then got a water taxi to the venue, which is the other side of a currently bridgeless section of the River. Everything was going well, it was all starting to take shape. We bidded our farewells to the crew and headed off, checked into our Apartment and grabbed a few hours sleep, as it was going to be a late night.

We arrived back at the venue at around 5pm and the stage looked beautiful in the purple glow, the venue has recently been transformed and although I can't compare from before I think it's simply stunning now, quite possibly the nicest arena I have been to so far. There were already several hundred fans waiting in line.

One thing that struck me about the Irish is how friendly they are, and the security staff at the show were no exception, they simply couldn't do enough for you, and the whole evening had a very friendly atmosphere.

The show was amazing from start to finish, the place exploded when the band walked on, and the atmosphere was incredible until the last note was played. Dave and Martin kept grinning at each other and Fletch clearly loved the show. During the now customary 'Home' jam Dave said 'you are the best yet' and I think he was right.

During the show I took a peek behind the screens just below Christian, and I was blown away - you could barely hear the music, just the beat of the drums - the power was amazing, and it makes you realise how much Christian gives with each performance.

The after show was a family affair, there were lots of kids there. Martin was having a few pictures taken at the end of the party, and my 2 kids grabbed their opportunity and the result is included.

If Depeche Mode ever played in Dublin again I would definitely head over there - it was one hell of a show.

Next stop for me is Birmingham, the closest to my home.

Big Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jarvisob

Good to read that... for me i still preferred the gig in 06 but this one was great also

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Annoying thing is I cannot remember much of either concert. Just bits and pieces-all seems a blur now. That's the problem in the new o2-too easy to get a drink unlike the old place. Guinness 6euro was expensive but worth every penny to make a night of it which we did. DM don't play here to often!! Cannot wait for Paris.

Without a shadow of doubt your perception of a concert depends on where you stand/sit. Some idiot told me it was rubbish. Anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Totally amazing gig. Last time I saw them was in 1986 at the RDS on the Black Celebration tour (my first gig!)...so it's been a long time. I was centre stage standing in the second row and I have to say it was one of the best gigs I was ever at. Favourite moment was bouncing up and down to Question of Time. There was no pushing and shoving in the crowd so I was able to dance quite happily through the whole thing. Brilliant! The guys still have an amazing energy and can still belt them out. I quite like the new album so enjoyed the fact that the first three songs were from SOTU before getting stuck into the old classics.
    It was amazing looking back and seeing the entire O2 on their feet during Enjoy The Silence.

After the gig, my friend and I decided to forgo the queue for the LUAS and walk back up the quays. Lovely way to come down as it was a gorgeous night. Definitely my gig of the year. ;)

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

looks there are authorised downloads for most of the tour dates, but not the Dublin one. Would love to be able to hear the gig again. What a night!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

They were totally amazing! I saw them back in 1998 and then 4x in 2006 in different Cities from Dublin to Lisbon.

They r in a class of their own

www.concert-reviews.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Bumping this because ALAN WILDER JUST JOINED MARTIN TO DO SOMEBODY AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL :eek::eek::eek:.

http://img713.imageshack.us/i/att01354.jpg/

Can't wait to see this on YT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cruiser

Bumping this because ALAN WILDER JUST JOINED MARTIN TO DO SOMEBODY AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL :eek::eek::eek:.

I was at this gig last week, absolutely top class, sound was amazing and the band were really up for it, great seats in the circle and all for the teenage cancer trust.
    Best live band going, never disappoint, but this gig was extra special and when Alan Wider appeared, the roof nearly lifted off !

This vid really captures the mood and great sound+vocals...they also had an orchestra on stage for a cpl of songs ( 1st for DM )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWj24bNhQY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

Goldigga wrote: »
    looks there are authorised downloads for most of the tour dates, but not the Dublin one. Would love to be able to hear the gig again. What a night!!!

Here's a private audience recording from that night:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UZMSVYLF

I hear it was amazing. Was at the O2 in London on Saturday. Was fantastic. That venue is HuGE!! I'm glad Alan came back but the idiot should never have left. DM are Dave Martin and Fletch. ULTRA proved they didn't need him.At least they are still talking etc, but it was 16years ago he left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

For those of us wanting to relive just thought you'd like to know the Barcelona concert is now out, watched the first two songs last night and I felt it more subdued than the Dublin event but still, nice reminder and worth the punt if you're a DM fan. So far the quality of the music recording is what impresses most.

41oL39F%2B0gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ModeMadFan

Bought the Deluxe Version. Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ModeMadFan

I was there on the night! Totally blew my mind

didnt make it to that-but paris london and dublin where amazing too.

Advertisement