Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Aircraft

Options
  • 23-11-2008 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread.
    I've a question relating to the Aer lingus trans-atlantic fleet.

Last year I flew to Chicago on a new Airbus A-330.
    The main improvement being the personal entertainment unit in each head rest.

However family members have twice since flown to the USA (San Fran & Chicago respectively) and on both occasions have been in the older A-330, with a poor crt monitor deploying from the cabin roof.

Does anyone know if the newer A-330 is still running?
    Did Aerlingus only buy 1 & if so what route is it on?

many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A simply search on google show they have 9 A330's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Hmm, that does not answer the question of the age of the A330 fleet, and which ones are in service on different days of the week / different routes / different intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Its a lucky dip really which aircraft you get on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There are EI pilots over on the Aviation and Aircraft forum who can better answer your question. I'm moving this thread there.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

AFAIK EI-DUO (new aircaft) is still doing the KORD route. Its primarily because it can carry a higher cargo load than the older 332's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 dologhli

I think they have two ( EI-DUO and EI-DUZ according to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055410704 )

I haven't a clue what routes they're used on (they weren't on DUB-IAD last week is all I can say... only seen them there the once...)

As a lowly passenger I don't know any more, sorry... though at least I've increased your chances of getting one to 2/9 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

200s have longer range so are typically put on west coast routes, 300s for shorter services afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Flew to Chicago today (well yesterday now I suppose ;)) on ..............
    AFAIK EI-DUO (new aircaft) is still doing the KORD route.
    ....... I guess it was this one

First time flying with the on-demand entertainment system and it makes a MASSIVE difference IMO. I was absolutely dreading the 8 hour flight, but it was absolutely fine - no different really to vegging out at home for a day watching movies and TV!!!!!!

One of the cabin crew told us that they were all going to be done by next year sometime, it'll be great to be guaranteed one with the individual on-demand screens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah makes it so bearable doesnt it? The screens and entertainment systems on the A380 are mind blowing! They'll all be that good one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The on-demand entertainment made the dub-ord flight feel shorter than a flight from dub to any eurpoean city..

Also, a useful link for anyone travelling transatlantic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aer_Lingus#Flying_with_Aer_Lingus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

All correct above.

EI have 5 A330-300 (DUB,JFK,CRK,ORD,DUZ)and 4 A330-200(LAX,EWR,DAA,DUO.

The latest 2, DUO and DUZ, have individual screens with on demand entertainment (AVOD). DAA has older individual screens. There is a refurbishment programme underway as part of the winter maintainence schedule. The plan is to have 7 out of 9 aircraft upgraded by Summer 2009. Two older A333 will not be upgraded as they will be returned to the leaser in 2010. EI-CRK is slated to be retired before next Summer. Expect 1-2 aircraft to be upgraded by Feb 2009. Also in Feb EI are expecting delivery of a new A333 (EI-EAV),I am hoping to be on the delivery flight from Toulouse.

DUO usually operates the San Fransico route with DUZ usually on the Chicago route to to greater load capacity. However do not rely on this info,it can change very quickly depending on aircraft servicability and/or operational delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

AFAIK EI-DUO (new aircaft) is still doing the KORD route. Its primarily because it can carry a higher cargo load than the older 332's.

That should read EI-DUZ instead. Its basically 95% of the time the dub-ord route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

That should read EI-DUZ instead. Its basically 95% of the time the dub-ord route.

Yea I keep mixing the two of them up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

GeturGun wrote: »
    Flew to Chicago today (well yesterday now I suppose ;)) on .............. ....... I guess it was this one

First time flying with the on-demand entertainment system and it makes a MASSIVE difference IMO. I was absolutely dreading the 8 hour flight, but it was absolutely fine - no different really to vegging out at home for a day watching movies and TV!!!!!!

One of the cabin crew told us that they were all going to be done by next year sometime, it'll be great to be guaranteed one with the individual on-demand screens!!

a god send when flying to oz,its a damn long flight and nearly unbearable, but these systems with the movies, games and radio and map is cool, headphones on, no noise, don know what i would do without em!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

You should see the entertainment system on the SwineAer Derry to Stansted route!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

The only negative I found on the EI system is that u should be able to flick to the map/info and back without having to stop what u are watching and exit out [maybe u can do this???? I didn't see a way to but I didn't exactly try hard)

Flying back from JFK so will be very bored after being spoilt on the way to ORD :(;)

Advertisement