Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardy found unconcious - possible Survivor Series spoilers

• 23-11-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

BOSTON – Jeff Hardy was found unconscious in a stairwell at his hotel in Boston today, and was rushed to the nearest emergency room.

Due to privacy issues, WWE is not releasing the name of the hospital.

WWE.com will have more information if it becomes available.

source wwe.com

full story

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Drugs comes to mind but I hope it isn''t

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Drunk again.

Same as the airport 'incident'.

Hope he is ok though. Strange that WWE is posting this..

EDIT:

Uh oh... Could be a bit of kayfabe working here.
    Seeing as WWE hasnt aid what hospital, or town, it could be to stop people from trying to get information from the hospital and obviously showing it as a work?

It was kozlov!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

ec18 wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Probably the same thing it always is. Hopefully it isn't serious.

Or, it could be an angle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Probably the same thing it always is. Hopefully it isn't serious.

Or, it could be an angle.

Pretty low if it's an angle. Never stopped them before though.

SDooM wrote: »
    Pretty low if it's an angle..

It actually would be in a sense but I am so numb after all the stuff they have done in the past, that it doesn't really offend me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Let's all hope that it is kayfabe, and not something that takes Jeff Hardy off his last legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

KAYFABE

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Maybe its a work so they start the wwe title match as a single match until jeff hardy runs in and wins the title(like the way jericho won it) Then on SD or right after he says "Now That Was Extreme"

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed in a month or so that it was Triple H back to his evil ways.

The speculation going around other forums is that this maybe an angle leading to Edge's return. At this satge it's all guess work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Yet another lame attempt by WWE to get people over the age of 12 to be interested in their crappy product.

Too bad for Vinny Mac, that most of us know better.

• Advertisement

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Yet another lame attempt by WWE to get people over the age of 12 to be interested in their crappy product.

If it gets 1000 people more to buy the ppv (which I think it easily could if it's a work), it's worth it.

It won't hurt the buy rate that's for sure.

If it gets 1000 people more to buy the ppv (which I think it easily could if it's a work), it's worth it.

It won't hurt the buy rate that's for sure.

From a business standpoint, i completely agree. From a personal standpoint, i think it's kinda tragic that WWE have to resort to this. "Forcing" people to give a sh*t basically.

Lol at the thought of wwe trying to boost the buys of the PPV by taking out one of the biggest draws? :pac:

Jeff Hardy story plus top star is in Boston unannounced

www.wrestlingobserver.com

WWE.com is reporting that Jeff Hardy was found passsed out in a stairwell last night at the Boston hotel he was staying at and rushed to the emergency room.

Several sources have confirmed this as storyline and that Hardy is expected to be selling the injuries on tonight's Survivor Series show.

There is a lot of speculation this will lead to an Edge vs. Jeff Hardy feud, as Edge will be the culprit. While this feud is not confirmed, there was talk of Edge vs. Hardy at Royal Rumble, and Edge flew from Tampa to Boston last night for the show.

I have to say that I really like this idea if it seems to be going the direction it is. The last thing Jeff Hardy needed was to be put in a main event spot where he would fail again.

Lol at the thought of wwe trying to boost the buys of the PPV by taking out one of the biggest draws? :pac:

His absence won't effect the buy rate and if anything it might lead a few people buying the ppv to find out what's going on.

The shows success in business terms on whether it will do above average or not is down to John Cena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just saw that. Has the potential to be great if it is true but unforunately could mean that Christian is staying in TNA if they're not holding Edge back

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Just saw that. Has the potential to be great if it is true but unforunately could mean that Christian is staying in TNA if they're not holding Edge back

Suits me. Christian is pretty much the only reason for me to watch TNA these days.

When should we hear news about christian?

Could this be linked to him as well as/instead of edge?

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Suits me. Christian is pretty much the only reason for me to watch TNA these days.

Did the Sigpo Nazi's tear down your views on wrestling as well as your sig:p

Did the Sigpo Nazi's tear down your views on wrestling as well as your sig:p

They didn't have to. Vince McMahon, Jeff Jarrett and Dixie Carter beat them to it!

• Advertisement

Edge flew into boston last night, so he must have something to do with all this.

So it looks like HHH will prob win the title match now woooo:( at least hardy can say when he doesnt win the match it was because he was taken out or they could have edge take hardy's spot in the title match and possibly win it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

i hope this ain't an angle as if it is, for me, it's playing off of benoit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

i hope this ain't an angle as if it is, for me, it's playing off of benoit.

How you can see any similarities between this and the Benoit tragedy is beyond me man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

main eventer, possibility of winning the belt, possibly ruled out the night before the event. bit of a stretch but it makes my mind go back to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

I dont want it to be a poor taste angle either, but I think i'd prefer that to another Jeff ****s up story

Dave Meltzer gives his take on it:
    --Regarding the Jeff Hardy by WWE today. Faking injuries to build storylines goes back to whenever it was that angles first started. Making them believable is the goal. In 1995, after Shawn Michaels was beaten up by several marines, WWE did an angle on a live Raw where he collapsed in a match with Owen Hart and trotted out a friendly doctor to say that Michaels' career was over, to set up a comeback which at the time got Michaels over more than he ever had been during his career. It was tasteless to have fans thinking he may die on live television, knowing he was coming back from a serious concussion, but from a business sense, it was a big success. Michaels never really was a drawing card before, and when he came back, he was.

Still, this one was sleazy. WWE said it took place in the hotel. WWE has had two wrestlers die in hotel rooms and others found passed out due to apparent overdoses. And of all the people to do it with, considering the company publicized Hardy's problems, there would not be, probably both with the general public and even friends, be anyone in WWE right now who people would believe would OD and pass out in a hotel room more than Hardy, particularly coming into a big show, given that he missed a SummerSlam and a Wrestlemania in the last 18 months from drug test failures.

The problem is, if this had been done with HHH, everyone would have smelled angle from the beginning, which is one of the reasons why it wouldn't have been. Obviously the company has booked Hardy too many times in the challenger situation and his failing has led to extreme measures (having wins over Undertaker and HHH on TV the last two weeks) to try and keep him from having fans give up on his chase. If the plan is for him to win, and they change finishes regularly the last day so anything is possible, it's a way to add drama. More likely it's a plan for him to lose and have an excuse, rather than just come up short one last time.

The company did what wrestling companies always do. Sometimes the sleaziness ends up working for business, and sometimes it works against business. But given the guy, and the place they said it happened, it was classless. Not the most classless thing I've seen (Ric Flair worked a heart attack on a live Nitro and they tried to work the boys and his friends; and the Fritz Von Erich deal the way it was handled was far worse), at least up to this point because we'll have to see how it gets handled on the broadcast tonight, but when you think about the mentality that went into the storyline, knowing about the death of Eddie Guerrero three years ago, none of this could have been coincidental.

That said, I even heard from friends of his in wrestling who were mad about this one, and they knew pretty quickly it was probably a work, but just felt the Hardys have a different type of fan base as most of the wrestlers and are more likely to take this too seriously. Then again, the company knew that full well, and that was probably part of the mind set.

It's not like this isn't a company that ran an obituary for Paul Wight Sr. on its web site which was written not as comedy but was pure storyline at the time. Wrestling has always been about blurring the lines of fiction and reality. This time, they picked a very believable subject. Wrestlers ODing in a hotel room, and picked the most believable candidate, and attempted to pass it off as real news. It speaks volumes for their own perception of what they believe is believable about their product and the person they chose to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

main eventer, possibility of winning the belt, possibly ruled out the night before the event. bit of a stretch but it makes my mind go back to it.

I reckon you're right about it being a bit of a stretch man. There are plenty of other examples that would be far closer to this, Eddie Guerrero, Brian Pillman etc. The Benoit incident was completely different and isn't something that I think could be compared to drug related wrestler breakdowns/deaths and that kind of thing to me (we're not bringing this on a why did Benoit do what he did road folks btw)

EdK wrote: »
    I dont want it to be a poor taste angle either, but I think i'd prefer that to another Jeff ****s up story

Maybe it could be Christian who attacked hardy. They could have everyone blam Edge but then he shows them a secret cctv video of Christian attacking Hardy. Will never happen but i can dream and he could say a really cheesy line "Did You Miss Me" :)

• Advertisement

And Bruce Mitchell of the Torch chimes in with his 2 cents:
    Torch editor Wade Keller was right earlier today when he wrote that this "Jeff Hardy found unconscious in a hotel stairwell" WWE.com angle sleazily exploited both Hardy's history of drug problems/suspensions and the pro wrestling business' sad history of deaths and ruined lives.

Anyone who lived through the news on those Sundays of the deaths of Brian Pillman and Eddie Guerrero would have heard the echoes in WWE.com's first story on Hardy being taken to the hospital. Keller was right when he asserted that this angle once again exposes the too-often lack of simple human decency in the McMahon family and everyone else involved in this.

The angle, though, also exposes WWE's lack of ability to learn from its own history and its lack of focus on its own business plan. In the past few months WWE has set as its goal the capturing of a more mainstream image in order to capture more mainstream advertising dollars. WWE wants to improve the poor economic demographics of its core audience and capture a more affluent audience who had previously been turned off by the crude vulgarity of much of WWE's product and the stench that surrounds the epidemic of drug deaths in the wrestling business.

To that end WWE banned (for the most part) blood on its shows, toned down the sexuality of the Divas, and abided by the strictures of the PG13 rating. This callous internet angle flies in the face of all that.

Now, though, if anyone in the mainstream media, including the internet gossip sites that are now part of that mainstream, catches on that WWE exploited the Hardy's well-known history of drug relapses in this way, just to try to attract more buys to a poorly-promoted pay-per-view show, it could cause further damage to WWE's business image. Stories like this can have a way of snow-balling, particularly in a media hungry for sensational copy on TV celebrities.

Is the bigger goal of slowly cleaning the sullied image of WWE worth gambling on, just to get a few more eyes on the WWE website and, perhaps, a few more buys on one pay-per-view show?

Maybe it could be Christian who attacked hardy. They could have everyone blam Edge but then he shows them a secret cctv video of Christian attacking Hardy. Will never happen but i can dream and he could say a really cheesy line "Did You Miss Me" :)

That's kinda what I meant with this:
    When should we hear news about christian?

Could this be linked to him as well as/instead of edge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I'm guess if its a work - then the culprit is Edge or one of the La Familia (i'm asuming Edge is back with Vickie)

JP Liz wrote: »
    if its a work

It is a work.

It is a work.

And a poorly executed one at that, but I guess the penny drops later for some than others ;)

I wouldn't say it's poorly done in that I could see alot of people buying into it. I bought into it until other people started questioning it.

It was a little distasteful though I think, although I'm numb to all of that at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I wouldn't say it's poorly done in that I could see alot of people buying into. I bought into it until other people started questioning it.

It was a little distasteful though I think, although I'm numb to all of that at this stage.

I totally agree, Wrestling has sunk lower many times. If this was any other form of entertainment I would be offended. I think that the story got more people talking about the event than there was the previous day. Id say it drew a high number of late buys.

I can't see why people think it is such a low. I presume the story is one wrestler attacked another wrestler in a situation other than in the wrestling arena. Wrestling has been booked that way for years (see the Horsemen following Dusty and then breaking his arm.)

The WWE have used the internet in an attempt to garner a few extra buys. The internet which we all use to up to date and stay interested in wrestling.

Instead of showing us video footage at the start of the show of Jeff being attacked, they used another outlet which they are constantly trying to draw more attention to. It makes good business sense all round. People who might not have bought the show, may have called their PPV provider to see what happened

Its almost as if there is an outrage because it is a work. "How dare they try to work us. We are wrestling fans." I think it just goes to show how "Smart" fans have changed wrestling for themselves.

Yes it did bring back memories of other tragic events. But wrestling is showbusiness and the show must go on. In a time when the WWE (probably deservedly so) get a lot of stick for re-hashing or being unoriginal, surely this is a bold new attempt to entice paying customers.

jayhaitch2 wrote: »
    I can't see why people think it is such a low

I take it you didn't see HHH and Kozlov hug it out for 12 minutes

I hope everyone knows this was by design to get the crowd to chant for Hardy.

Not yet no:) But i was talking about the Hardy storyline rather than the PPV.

• Advertisement

Id just like to say it is one thing to comment on whether a story is offensive when you have all the facts in front of you and it is another when you were a person who saw the story break in the early stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Here's how I see it hardy seeks revenge on edge, vicki using her power as gm keeps them apart in ring wise anyway by putting jeff in handicap matches and against big guys things like that, hardy has no hope of getting near the title with vicki keeping him down, so he does the one thing she can't control
    he wins the rumble goes on to defeat edge at wrestlemania and lives happily ever after

Here's how I see it hardy seeks revenge on edge, vicki using her power as gm keeps them apart in ring wise anyway by putting jeff in handicap matches and against big guys things like that, hardy has no hope of getting near the title with vicki keeping him down, so he does the one thing she can't control
    he wins the rumble goes on to defeat edge at wrestlemania and lives happily ever after

Sounds perfect.

What if edge looses the title before then to someone like,... Taker?

In a non-title match, possibly. I don't see Jeff ever holding a WWE Heavyweight belt.

My thoughts:

Jeff will Hate Edge. Edge will do whatever he can (Vickie) to keep Jeff away from him. Jeff will eventually get to Edge, and he'll beat the crap out of him.

Edge will be humiliated and upset, scream at vickie a lot and swear revenge on Hardy. Because he has difficulty hurting Jeff, however, he'll do the next best thing and cost matt an important match (for the ECW belt or something).

Matt will be pissed (as will Jeff) and Jeff will call Matt over to Smackdown! to attack Edge. Edge will be in the ring, the hardons will come running down the aisle... and Christian will take them out with chairshots. Edge and Christian will go on to rassle the Hardy's in a TLC match to see who the better team really is.

Edge and Christian will lose. They'll blame each other, and they'll fight amongst themselves for a while. :)

Rey vs Edge is meant to be the outline plan for the Royal Rumble according to Dave Meltzer yesterday. I wonder if they'll actually manage to hold it off until then.

Thats what i was thinking. If that happens it will be a good main event that doesnt involve people like Taker or HHH .

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/article1969542.ece

<H2 class=padding-bottom-7 style="FONT-SIZE: 1.05em; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.05em">WRESTLING fans around the world are split over the Jeff Hardy angle at WWE Survivor Series – where they were led to believe he had been found unconscious in a hotel room.

Some were angered at the allusion to real life tragedies in a grappling storyline, while others thought it made for a much more exciting PPV event.

Radio DJ, TV host and long-time wrestling fan JOEL ROSS is firmly in the first category. Below he writes exclusively for SunSport:

In 20 years of watching WWE programming nothing has ever offended me.

I’ve treated storylines in the past that have consisted of racism, terrorist acts, necrophilia and date rape as just that – a storyline on a TV show.

But all that changed when Jeff Hardy “was found unconscious in a hotel stairwell” on Sunday.

If you are a huge fan like me, you would have taken the deaths of your favourite wrestlers really badly.

I’ll never forget watching JR tell a worldwide audience that “Owen Hart has died” or that “Brian Pillman was found dead in his hotel room”.

But a week after the three year anniversary of the death of Eddie Guerrero, who was also found dead in a hotel room, the WWE thought it would be a good idea to run with this Jeff Hardy storyline.

The live reports from fans, who were in attendance, presumed that Jeff had overdosed.

JR and Tazz were very serious and the angle was done in a very similar tone to the very real Owen Hart death.

It was also announced that news channels ABC, CNN and TMZ were reporting on the story, although this turned out not to be true.

So thank god for an awful segment with Matt Hardy and Todd Grisham and the run-in from Jeff later on, where anybody watching could have worked out this was all part of some weird angle.

The WWE creative team have gone on record by saying that reality-based storylines are the way to go.

Take the amazing Shawn Michaels/Chris Jericho angle that was done so well.

Even though this was “fake”, it was executed to perfection and the audience was taken in by it.

But there is a fine line between “reality” and “genuinely real”.

Jeff Hardy has been suspended and fired by both WWE and TNA in the past over his drink and drug related “demons”.

The same demons killed Eddie, Brian, Davey Boy Smith, Curt Hennig, Miss Elizabeth, Rick Rude – the list goes on.

So it’s no wonder that, like many, I am deeply uncomfortable with one of my favourite wrestlers being part of this angle.

Especially as one day it may turn out to be true.
    </H2>

FIRE JOHNATHAN ROSS :D

Sounds very similar to when Benoit won the RR but i would like to see this happen

rovert wrote: »
    FIRE JOHNATHAN ROSS :D

While they're at it can they fire Heyman too? christ knows he needs a real job. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement