Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyfire browser now available for everyone, everywhere!

• 23-11-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

No more trickery required:
    Skyfire's new beta of its much-hyped browser is NOW available everywhere without registration.

Its ability to render sites such as google video etc etc makes it an attractive alternative to other browsers.
    If you have a wm device (wm5 and 6), or a Nokia E/N-series phone, check it out:
    Skyfire.com
    Or have a look: http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/008/11/skyfire_upgraded_and_officially_opened_to_everyone.htm for known bugs, tricks, info and download!

Oh, PS: symbian installer say: 'component symbian os pipe missing' during install... IGNORE!!! It's just a 'glitch'! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

gonna try it on Nokia 770.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Works fine on N82 - cheers once again strecker !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

tried it on my N95. It took about two minutes to "locate" and "connect" each time and crashed the phone twice while trying to load google. I'll leave it for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Sam did you manage to get it to connect through WiFi at all? It didn't get beyond the select network dialog then just kept popping it up, rubbish tbh.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sam did you manage to get it to connect through WiFi at all? It didn't get beyond the select network dialog then just kept popping it up

Nope, wouldn't connect. I stopped trying and went to 3g connection and that's when i had my other problems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Won't work on my hp ipaq
    Screen reso is crap :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Google loading fine over WiFi on v30.xx for me, does prompt twice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Didn't I read somewhere that skyfire "calls home" with each connection and records your browsing history? Not sure I'd like to do any online banking with something like this.

Anyone else know about this?

strecker wrote: »
    No more trickery required:
    Skyfire's new beta of its much-hyped browser is NOW available everywhere without registration.

Its ability to render sites such as google video etc etc makes it an attractive alternative to other browsers.
    If you have a wm device (wm5 and 6), or a Nokia E/N-series phone, check it out:
    Skyfire.com
    Or have a look: http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/008/11/skyfire_upgraded_and_officially_opened_to_everyone.htm for known bugs, tricks, info and download!

Oh, PS: symbian installer say: 'component symbian os pipe missing' during install... IGNORE!!! It's just a 'glitch'! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

elderlemon wrote: »
    Didn't I read somewhere that skyfire "calls home" with each connection and records your browsing history? Not sure I'd like to do any online banking with something like this.

Anyone else know about this?

I betcha! Even the bookmarks are loaded from server ;) i wouldn't use any mobile browser for anything 'private'... My name's not even strecker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

it does not support wvga resolutions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

strecker wrote: »
    I betcha! Even the bookmarks are loaded from server ;) i wouldn't use any mobile browser for anything 'private'... My name's not even strecker!

Yeah i'd be wary of using stuff like internet banking on a mobile browser.
    IIRC with Opera Mini, for example, prior to using it, they state that because everything goes thru their server nothing is secure/confidential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Oh yeah their privacy is dodgy at best.

On my e51, the Locating prompt shows for over a minute. Do you have the same problem? this version of the beta should allegedly be faster than ever to start up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Brought this down using Opera Mini while waiting for a bus. Downloaded and installed fine, then I got to the startup screen. Continuous prompts to choose connection (I was using Meteor Data) I quickly got bored of trying and I uninstalled it and went bqck to Opera. I'M happy with Opera mini, however I do find that the Nokia browser that comes with the E71 is better for browsing and posting on the mobile version of Boards, which is what I am doing now.

All in all, Skyfire blows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

All in all, Skyfire blows.

Nah, it's actually lovely when you get it working. Using version 0.61.0.6746 myself the last few weeks (only seems to work over wifi unfortunately, haven't installed this 'open' version yet).
    I must say it's great for some jobs (obviously not online banking). Embedded video (not just youtube by the way, loads of sites) are lovely. The videos play on the page (not the slickest render but good enough).

Basically it's the web as firefox sees it and you looking at it through the screen of your phone. All the work is done on skyfire's side so the bandwidth theoretically should stay low.

I use it the odd time, but it certainly wouldn't be my first port of call for general web-browsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

If you were to ask me what browser I would prefer to use I would say Opera Mini, then the Nokia browser. Skyfire just isn't complete enough to warrant changing over and calling it my default browser. I have applications that play videos from websites such as Youtube is good quality with the option to download aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

The browser that came with the Nokia 770 cant even download the file from the skyfire web site.
    on the site when u goto download there are different tabs it wont let me pick the one for nokia.

if they wanted us to move over they could have atleast aimed at everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

samhail wrote: »
    The browser that came with the Nokia 770 cant even download the file from the skyfire web site.
    on the site when u goto download there are different tabs it wont let me pick the one for nokia.

They aim at Symbian and winmo at the moment. Nokia 770 is not running either of them so afraid you are out of luck.
    It is better to have a native application rather than java midlets in order to optimise the features, so I guess that is the reason why it is not available for java.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

samhail wrote: »

The 770 is not a phone. It's an internet tablet (an out-of date internet tablet at that). It will not run symbian or windows mobile software at all.

The best browsing experience i ever managed on the 770 was upgrading to OS2007HE and using minimo. Still couldn't play back embedded youtube though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Skyfire is a big let down.

I installed it during beta and never opened the application again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I can't get it to work on my e71..... When installing I got an error "OS pipe Missing:confused:" I installed it anyway, I can run it but can't get past the choose access point screen, I choose 3 and it just comes up select acces point again...

no smart comments please, you know who you are:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I can't get it to work on my e71..... When installing I got an error "OS pipe Missing:confused:" I installed it anyway, I can run it but can't get past the choose access point screen, I choose 3 and it just comes up select acces point again...

no smart comments please, you know who you are:)

Must be the ap - doesn't work with vodafone live!, either.

Advertisement