Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softmodding a Wii

• 23-11-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Just read that you can softmod a wii to play iso backups going to try this later on today more info here

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yep, it works fine. have it at home. can get emulators to work on it too, as well as DVD playback on it, although running a DVD takes time to load :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Just going out now to buy an sd card what ver are you using ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

not sure on that, will let you know when im back home, but every system update you get requires you re-softmod the console

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

so lads if you do this then no need for a chip?

yes you have to patch the wii iso

• Advertisement

no modchip needed at all. just the homebrew channel and the knowhow!

Tried this today and it works on the two games i tried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Tweeter

Can anyone tell me if you need to leave the SD card in the machine after the mod is completed?
    It would save me having to buy an SD card as I could borrow the one in my camera and then put it back after the mod is completed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Can someone PM me links to guides etc? I would be interested in seeing what I can do with my Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Eddieken

Ditto, if someone can could PM me a guide and links for the software needed?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Ditto links and guides would be hugely appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

BrendanD wrote: »

yes you have to patch the wii iso
    With the new version you no longer have to patch the iso
    ], it plays 1:1 copies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I'm assuming this voids the warranty? When trying this softmod is there any chance of breaking the console?

rosboy wrote: »
    I'm assuming this voids the warranty? When trying this softmod is there any chance of breaking the console?

It probably does void the warranty even though you don't physically open the console. And yes, as with any softmod, altering system files can lead to bricks.

animaX wrote: »
    It probably does void the warranty even though you don't physically open the console. And yes, as with any softmod, altering system files can lead to bricks.

Thanks animaX.

I need to think for a while about how brave I am now:)

I found what looks like a good .pdf guide for soft modding a Wii. Can I post the link here? I've had a look at the at the charter and don't see anything forbidding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Thanks animaX.

I found what looks like a good .pdf guide for soft modding a Wii. Can I post the link here? I've had a look at the at the charter and don't see anything forbidding it.

could you pm me the link

tinner777 wrote: »
    could you pm me the link

Sent. I've never softmodded a Wii before, so can't judge if its any good or not.

Hah, me too! My brother's getting a wii game off Santa and I hope I don't brick it before then!

Before you soft mod your wii check what software version you are running 3.2 or under is recommended anything over 3.2e and its more difficult to install

• Advertisement

BrendanD wrote: »
    Before you soft mod your wii check what software version you are running 3.2 or under is recommended anything over 3.2e and its more difficult to install

More difficult but not impossible? Do you know what the difference is in the modding procedure for the newer versions?

More difficult but not impossible? Do you know what the difference is in the modding procedure for the newer versions?
    Yes it involves downgrading the firmware ill post a link when i get home

Link HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

done mine today. Version 3.3E . First time trying seemed to go fine. But I haven't a back up yet to try. Quake, Tetris, and Doom homebrew worked fine though.

Advertisement