Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finally! First Porsche Panamera official images out

Options
  • 23-11-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

2010-porsche-panamera-5.jpg
    According to the leaked information, Panamera is 4.97 meters (16.3 feet) long and 1.93 meters (6.3 fee) wide. Wheelbase is 2.92 meters (9.6 feet) long. It is smaller than the Audi A8, but larger than the A6.
    Panamera will first come with two engine choices, 4.8-liter V8 with around 400 hp (Panamera S) and twin-turbocharged 4.8-liter V8 that has around 500 hp (Panamera Turbo).

Click here for more pics

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm a big porsche fan, but that is pretty nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

About time they had something to bring them into the Saloon market. They tried with the SUV. MPV next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The Panemera would be an ideal 21st century interpretation of the 928 if it weren't so darn ugly. WHY O WHY do Porsche insist on grafting a 911 nose onto every single car they produce:confused::eek:???

When I was growing up they had

- 944 (good-looking, one of the best handling cars ever, hatchback versatility)
    - the ubiquitous, evergreen 911
    - 928 - brutishly handsome V8 GT.

Thing is all had their own distinctive styling and were not 911 facsimiles.

For example I'd much prefer a modern 944 to a Boxster/Coxster (whose similarity to the 911 leads to annoying people coming on here and quoting verbatim JC's remark about being for those who can't afford a 911 Ho-Ho-Ho:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Looks very corvette from the front...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It's terribly ugly. When you consider what it's up against, I can't imagine people bying it for anything other than the fact that it's a Porsche. Mind you that hasn't stopped people before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

4.97m length? That's just one centimetre shorter than my 7-series.
    pburns wrote: »
    WHY O WHY do Porsche insist on grafting a 911 nose onto every single car they produce:confused::eek:???

+1

Unfortunately, it seems to work for Porsche commercially. They've made an absolute fortune on the Cayenne and I too fear what's round the corner. Please let it not be an MPV :o

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Quattroporte FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I like it. Its nicer the look at than a 7series or merc amg or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I like it too.
    Reminds me a little of the 959 and I really liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any Porsche with more than 2 doors is wrong imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I like it too, the front is lovely, and the back kind of resembles a Alfa Brera imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Wow my new lotto car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

unkel wrote: »
    4.97m length? That's just one centimetre shorter than my 7-series.

The E38 is 4964cm, the Panamera is 6cm longer! :eek:

I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I like it. Its nicer the look at than a 7series or merc amg or the like.

Sorry to disagree but I could possibly say that the below is nicer to look at any amg (or even the 7 series) . That arse is a joke.
    2010-porsche-panamera-2.jpg

Lazy design - just stretched a normal porsche
    aaaaot6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Not another one
    dogpoo.jpg

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Wow my new lotto car.

+1:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Steerpike

bazz26 wrote: »
    Any Porsche with more than 2 doors is wrong imo.

I couldn't agree more. Porsche make trim, small sports cars, with boxer engines... full stop. Apart from the dreadful Cayenne, which is a Volks in disguise.

OK, the top model of this thing will do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds - but I still can't take to it. Clarkson - who admittedly is more entertaining than enlightening - described the Crossfire's back end as being reminiscent of a "dog having a dump". This thing looks the same to me. Awful.

PS Limerick Man has made the same observation! And I take the point earlier by another poster that it's a stretched 911, and I've never seen that as having the DHAD factor... but to me the proportions on this just look so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Yes, it's an absolute Crossfire from the rear! But I actually do like the look of it from head on and the front 3/4. Looks like somebody sliced a Cayenne through the middle and let the top half fall down onto the wheels.

+1 on the Quattroporte suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Steerpike wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. Porsche make trim, small sports cars, with boxer engines... full stop. Apart from the dreadful Cayenne, which is a Volks in disguise.

Nonsense, they make coupes - they haven't made a proper sports cars in years, and haven't won anything outside their own class, or one-make series, in racing for years, either. Which is a pity - as it's the opposite that made them. They're still (trying) to trade on an historic past that's becoming ever more ...tenuous.

The need to make money has seen them move into other segments - SUV's, now 4-doors. You're forgetting, but it's the like of the Cayenne that has bankrolled the R&D on the rest of the range for the last few years........with the demise of the SUV politically, (if not actually....the diesel Cayenne is out in January)....the Panamera is set to give them a toe hold in the premium 4-door market currently dominated by body-kitted MB's (AMG), but epitomised by the likes of the Quattroporte.

The truth now is, they make very fine, fast coupe's. As do Aston Martin, Jag, Bentley, Maserati, and any number of other manufacturers. For sports cars, you need to look elsewhere. Lotus is probably the first that comes to mind.

As for the Panamera, well, like it or not, it's set to do well. You can have the P-car now, and still carry your (grown up children/teenagers...) without the grimacing involved in driving an SUV - even if costs are, in fact, the same. Well, until the diesel Panamera comes out.

As for the boxer engine thing - quite apart from a scandalous mechanical record for that M96 series engine, others do it better. Subaru, for a start. Including diesel.

Porsche make flat-6's for historic reasons, very little else. But seeing as they're 'made to', by the market.............hey, why not make them pay extra for the privelege ? Can't fault that logic, business wise - and they are the most profitable company on the planet at the moment, having just turned in another staggering 8Bn Eur profit inside the last 12mths. Recession ? What recession ? !:P

Nah, it's all very clever, really.

Me? I'd have one. Well, after the Quattroporte, tbh.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

I was looking forward to seeing how the Panamera would turn out for so long, now im disappointed.

Its not very nice at all.

On a better note, did anyone see the model Lamborghini Estoque 4-door saloon on Top Gear?
    Now that is sexy.

lamborghini-estoque_1.jpg

+1 about the Quattroporte. Thats sweet!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Beautiful from the front, horrible from the side. It looks like a Porsche/Lexus cut 'n shut.
    the most profitable company on the planet

That's because Porsche own VAG/Seat/Skoda/Mercedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Yis are mad. it's stunning...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Confab wrote: »
    Beautiful from the front, horrible from the side. It looks like a Porsche/Lexus cut 'n shut.

That's because Porsche own VAG/Seat/Skoda/Mercedes.

....someone better tell MB that, then..........must be some sort of secret. they still turn in a staggering Eur 7k per car manufacturing profit. Given that VW make, iirc, Eur 270 per car..............they're still doing rather well, VW shares, or not........

BTW - love the Estoque - now that IS gorgeous !

[edit: what a coincidence - all 4 wheel centre badges are exactly plumb ! - amazing huh ; :rolleyes: imagine how long they were driving it forward/back to get it like that :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd buy one*

*Terms and conditions apply. Mainly does it dent as easily as butter like the Cayenne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

pburns wrote: »
    The Panemera would be an ideal 21st century interpretation of the 928 if it weren't so darn ugly. WHY O WHY do Porsche insist on grafting a 911 nose onto every single car they produce:confused::eek:???

When I was growing up they had

- 944 (good-looking, one of the best handling cars ever, hatchback versatility)
    - the ubiquitous, evergreen 911
    - 928 - brutishly handsome V8 GT.

Thing is all had their own distinctive styling and were not 911 facsimiles.

For example I'd much prefer a modern 944 to a Boxster/Coxster (whose similarity to the 911 leads to annoying people coming on here and quoting verbatim JC's remark about being for those who can't afford a 911 Ho-Ho-Ho:rolleyes:)

Yeah, agreed.

I would date the tendency to conservative model development back to the early 1990's recession when the company flirted with bankruptcy.

I remember Car magazine had a feature about a proposed 4-door Porsche back in, IIRC, April 1991. Come to think of it, the artist impression drawings looked pretty similar to this, 17 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

I was looking forward to seeing how the Panamera would turn out for so long, now im disappointed.

Its not very nice at all.

On a better note, did anyone see the model Lamborghini Estoque 4-door saloon on Top Gear?
    Now that is sexy.

lamborghini-estoque_1.jpg

+1 about the Quattroporte. Thats sweet!:D

I prefer this peugeot

00_peugeotrcconceptparis.jpg

I prefer this peugeot

00_peugeotrcconceptparis.jpg

*Niceirishfella nearly spat out a mouthful of coffee over my desk* - after seeing this post.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, - i'd rather a peugeot over a lambo any day. Are you mad man?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Moses7 wrote: »

id rather a lada riva then that.... though id knick the running gear then burn it....

though a porshe is a porshe, ever notice how the jeep and other weird contraptions they made where a complete and utter fail but the normal 911's, with or without the s badghe, hamann spec and such, they always sell in respectable numbers and are a brilliant car...

Silly porshe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Steerpike

galwaytt wrote: »
    Nonsense, they make coupes - they haven't made a proper sports cars in years, and haven't won anything outside their own class, or one-make series, in racing for years, either..

Still wouldn't say no to a "fast coupe" like the GT3 - current holder of the fastest lap around the Nordschleife!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Moses7

Advertisement