Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free online texts?

• 23-11-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi guys. I'm doing my final year project at the minute for St Vincent de Paul. One've the things that could potentially be very useful is an online service that provides free texts.

Does anyone know of such a site? There are a couple in america and the uk but I can't find one for Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well o2 vodafone etc have free online texts. Also 13434.ie have a text facility at 3cent a text. Used to be 1cent a text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

So do Meteor, 300 free web-texts a month. I find them very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

An unlimited service would be what I'd be looking for. ( Although, presumably if such a thing existed a lot more people would be using and abusing it.)

I would be hoping to use the free texts as part of an alert system in SVP for when individuals request help. Thats why I would want an unlimited service. You can't really put a limit on a request system as it may lead to requested not being reported.

Also, it would need to be free (or of insignificant cost) as it is to be used by a charity and it doesn't need to incur any extra costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could get a couple of free O2 SIM cards from www.freesims.ie and just use their webtexts. You get 250 free and then after that you're charged at regular rates, so if you kept the SIM in credit they'd keep sending. You can also just register all the SIMs and use 250 free webtexts on it.

Note though: a lot of people are questioning the reliability of the O2 webtext service and website in general in the mobiles / PDAs forum here and also on the O2 forum.

The same ideas could be done for Meteor or Vodafone I believe though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Is there any way of linking this to a web hosting service, so for example an atoumated message would get sent to all the numbers in a field in an sql database at a certain time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Take a look at o2sms. Lets you send messages from a linux command line or via a perl module.
    You can write (for example) a php function to send a message to every number in a table. I've done this before. It's not efficient, it's not espically fast, but it gets the job done.

Advertisement