Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No wind :(

Options
  • 23-11-2008 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Ok, the sad face may not make sense to you but I saw the forecast for gale force winds today and I'm sorely disappointed to see there's not a breath of wind in Galway as I was looking forward to getting some windsurfing done today. I usually get my forecasts from www.windguru.com, they tend to be pretty reliable, so I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me 1) what meteorological factors might have caused the forecast to be so spectacularly wrong today and 2) if there's any likelihood of the wind picking up during daylight hours today? Maybe I should hang around this forum more, seems like I have a lot to learn ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Plenty of wind down here driving showers past.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

mike65 wrote: »
    Plenty of wind down here driving showers past.

Mike

Its picking up here whenever there are showers but in between that - nada!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

From the 00z output, the wind at 2pm slacken's and then picks back up at 3pm and gets a tad stronger as daylight ends though.

viewimage.pbx?type=nwm;date=20081123;time=00;ext=14;file=nmmukwind;sess=808b53f3f5634ca5f1e28378bb1eea20;

viewimage.pbx?type=nwm;date=20081123;time=00;ext=15;file=nmmukwind;sess=808b53f3f5634ca5f1e28378bb1eea20;

Snowbie wrote: »
    From the 00z output, the wind at 2pm slacken's and then picks back up at 3pm and gets a tad stronger as daylight ends though.

Cool, thanks... do you have a link to a site where I can get these forecasts (and info on how to interpret it, preferably)?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Don't know where you are in Galway but here in North Clare we are getting fairly strong but no spectacular winds since about 6.00am

Regularly gusting to about 50mph with 30mph winds in the quieter periods.:)

Plenty of surfers/windsurfers trying their luck earlier but most seem to have given up now as tide is in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

cornbb wrote: »
    Ok, the sad face may not make sense to you but I saw the forecast for gale force winds today and I'm sorely disappointed to see there's not a breath of wind in Galway as I was looking forward to getting some windsurfing done today. I usually get my forecasts from www.windguru.com, they tend to be pretty reliable, so I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me 1) what meteorological factors might have caused the forecast to be so spectacularly wrong today and 2) if there's any likelihood of the wind picking up during daylight hours today? Maybe I should hang around this forum more, seems like I have a lot to learn ;)

I am in North Galway at the mo and winds are coming in strong loud gusts with calmness inbetween, probably the Bay coast is more sheltered due to wind being NW. West or Southwest winds are better for the Bay really. Finnar Camp and Malin really getting some strong gusts now though.

RoisinD wrote: »
    Don't know where you are in Galway but here in North Clare we are getting fairly strong but no spectacular winds since about 6.00am

Regularly gusting to about 50mph with 30mph winds in the quieter periods.:)

Plenty of surfers/windsurfers trying their luck earlier but most seem to have given up now as tide is in.

I'm in the city. We are getting very occasional gusty/squally periods (maybe every 10-15 mins) but in between, I'd say its no more than Force 2-3 (up to 12mph).

A possible explanation for this might be the fact that the wind is northwesterly today. Before hitting Galway it must travel over land, resulting in gusty, fitful wind. Before hitting North Clare it travels over Galway bay, perhaps becoming more consistent. Just a guess :confused:

I am in North Galway at the mo and winds are coming in strong loud gusts with calmness inbetween, probably the Bay coast is more sheltered due to wind being NW. West or Southwest winds are better for the Bay really. Finnar Camp and Malin really getting some strong gusts now though.

Agreed, W or SW is definitely better and more consistent down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

cornbb wrote: »
    Before hitting North Clare it travels over Galway bay, perhaps becoming more consistent. Just a guess :confused:

Your guess is spot on. North coast of Clare is always very windy in a northwestley. I remember last year when I went to the Burren on a day of leisure the wind was unbearable and really sustained. By the time I got back into Newcastle it was nice and calm. Quite a relief I have to say. :D

Advertisement