Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Dog in Garden

Options
  • 23-11-2008 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hi animaly people :)

For the past week or so we've noticed a small blak and white jack russell type dog hanging around our garden. This morning it was asleep in the garden and looked freezing. It looks lost, and moves kind of slowly, like it's old or sick or something (I'm no vet).

We're in Finglas, so the nearest pound is Ashtown. How do we go about getting the dog there? Can we ring them to come collect, or do we need to bring it there ourselves?

I'd just like to make it clear that taking this dog into the house is not really on he cards. We both work, and so wouldn't have the time to properly look after it.

Thanks

Des

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭zillmere

If you take it to Ashton, chances are it will be put down. If you ring a rescue group it won't be & will probably get rehomed.

There are a few rescues in the Finglas area. Dogs aid for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You wouldn't happen to have any numbers for these places, would you?

I don't think it's really fair for it to be put down, in fairness.

Thanks for that quick answer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭zillmere

Number is 834 7134.

They will at least be able to give you advice.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Des ring Ashtown, give a description and see if its on the missing list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

let the pound and garda station know that you have found a dog and describe what it looks like etc. in case someone is missing him and tell them where you are taking him. Definetly take him to a shelter and not a pound and would it not be possible to let him sleep in the house until he can go to a kennels as if he is old or sick this freezing weather could finish him off, poor little guy. jackies have very short coats so feel the cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

you're obviously not a dog person and want to get rid of the problem quick, but at least have a heart and do your human bits: ring up the gardai station and maybe local pounds to see if he is missing. Does the dog have a collar? If he is friendly maybe bring him to a vet or a local shelter to check if he is microchipped. And do you have a shed in the garden where maybe you could put a blanket for a poor fella not to freeze to death tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Can you please give us an update ?
    Did you bring him to the pound - at least Ashton is warm - he gets 5 days to be reclaimed and a good chance of being re-homed.
    PTS miht be a more humane option than dying of the cold in your garden.

If need be I will come and get him and take him up there.
    Can't bear to think of an animal out in the cold for over a week .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Sorry, i am very much a dog person.

i have been in touch with Ashton, he is not on the missing list.

If i see him around again tonight, i will phone the dog rescue service.

i wish i was in a position to take this dog into my house but unfortunately, i cant.

i am sorry but i came here asking for advice not to be yelled at and told i am a horrible person.

for those who gave constructive advice, thak you

(i didnt get home from work until around 10.30pm last night and i didnt see him around)

What the hell is wrong with people?

Did they not see in the very first post that
    I'd just like to make it clear that taking this dog into the house is not really on the cards

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

apologies if my post offended you, not intended. Some people just dont like dogs and your initial post only said that it turned up in your garden and you wont keep him ( feed him or shelter i understand), it just doesnt read like a dog lover post. I just feel sorry for the poor animal, I brought my two for a walk in the early morning and they came back shivering and ready to jump back to their beds, so I can just imagine how cold that dog must have been. I dont think anybody is calling you a horrible person, but people are genuinely concerned about the welfare of the homeless animal.

• Advertisement

I wrote the OP.

I'm pfb's boyfriend. I don't live in her house (we're good catholics).

I'm very much not a dog lover. I have a morbid fear of them ever since some absolute knacker set a Doberman on me, it had me pinned and was barking and slobbering all over my face.

Haven't been able to stand any dog since.

I especially hate people who say to me "A shure, my dog is a little pet, wouldn't hurt a fly" then expect me to stay in the vicinity of their dog, I generally just leave.

So, yes, while I was in the house yesterday, I didn't take the dog inside, because I'm afraid of them.

Dog-lovers, animal lovers in general, need to realise that not everyone else in the world is an animal lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Des wrote: »
    I especially hate people who say to me "A shure, my dog is a little pet, wouldn't hurt a fly" then expect me to stay in the vicinity of their dog, I generally just leave.
    When I was younger I was terrified of dogs (I still don't like them, but I've realised that I'm big enough to gouge their eyes, if worst comes to worst). This woman who was tutoring me loved her Alsatians, took it as a personal affront that I was nervous just having them outside the door barking, and insisted that I met them. She opened the door and brought in her two little darlings to jump up on my and stick their nose in my crotch, and watched me stand there as still as possible, one hand shielding my privates, and the other my neck.

She then I insisted I pet them before she would remove them.

Bitch.

What Des is saying, is that he wont wish harm on any dog or living animal for that matter but he is terrified of dogs and unfortunately, i was in work all day yesterday

well in fairness if the dobie really attacked you I doubt he would have just stood there slobbering and it's a bit irrational to be afraid of all dogs, if you got mugged by a human you wouldn't be afraid of all humans? but anyway, the point is it's not really about you it's about helping this particular dog who probably isn't a man eater so let us know how it goes, if he turns up again etc.

kerrysgold wrote: »
    it's a bit irrational to be afraid of all dogs

Attacking me now?

I didn't realise you were a psychologist, but thanks for the review there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

zillmere banned for personal abuse.
    The rest of you: The OP said taking the dog is not on the cards, live with it and offer advice, or offer it a home.
    Now, get back on topic. Stay there. Stay. Good posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

woof.

Would it be an option at all to set up a cardboard box with a blanket and a bit of grub ? until you can arrange for a pound or dog aid or what ever to have a look.

Dont get me wrong ..Im not saying you have a duty to do any of that.. just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

When I was younger I was terrified of dogs (I still don't like them, but I've realised that I'm big enough to gouge their eyes, if worst comes to worst). This woman who was tutoring me loved her Alsatians, took it as a personal affront that I was nervous just having them outside the door barking, and insisted that I met them. She opened the door and brought in her two little darlings to jump up on my and stick their nose in my crotch, and watched me stand there as still as possible, one hand shielding my privates, and the other my neck.

She then I insisted I pet them before she would remove them.

Bitch.
    LOL sorry but i cant help laughing at your post .Sorry not geing mean just made me chuckle .

uts going to be very cold tonight i hope the little fellah has some warm spot to get in out the harsh weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Dogs Aid do not collect dogs - It is a small voluntary group run by one person who does not have the resources to collect strays.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify something.
    zillmere wrote: »
    My heart bleeds for you, if you didn't have the onions to tell your tutor not to let the dogs in, then you can't complain.
    I was only about 13, and I did ask, in fact I insisted, but she was an Animal Lover (note the capitals), and so refused to believe that I might actually not like to be sniffed at by her carnivores, or that anyone might find the attention of creatures with alien intelligence, no ability to reason, a predisposition to eating other creatures, teeth and claws, ever so slightly uncomfortable.

Some dogs I like, if I get to know them.

On the OP, I would personally be very reluctant to feed, or approach a strange dog. I would suggest, if you must, that you carry a stout stick and from what I understand, use sharp jabbing motions to keep it at bay if it is unfriendly. Do not swing, because apparently they can duck under and get your underarm.
    Whatever you do, be careful when approaching a dog you don't know.

Just to clarify something.I was only about 13, and I did ask, in fact I insisted, but she was an Animal Lover (note the capitals), and so refused to believe that I might actually not like to be sniffed at by her carnivores, or that anyone might find the attention of creatures with alien intelligence, no ability to reason, a predisposition to eating other creatures, teeth and claws, ever so slightly uncomfortable.

On the OP, I would personally be very reluctant to feed, or approach a strange dog. I would suggest, if you must, that you carry a stout stick and from what I understand, use sharp jabbing motions to keep it at bay if it is unfriendly. Do not swing, because apparently they can duck under and get your underarm.

Um, this is a Jack Russel type dog I believe, not a mountain lion. There are usually 10" tall or less!

Best thing to do is to encourage the dog to approach you first, just bend down and call him over, most dogs will run over with a waggy tail, if he is wary of coming over he is probably afraid but try encouraging him to see that you are no threat by throwing some food for him and gradually throwing it so he has to come closer, if you keep this up they usually come around to the idea that actually you're not that scary after all!

as for this particular dog that the OP posted about, I agree with the idea of trying to make something for him outside if he turns up. a box turned on it's side with a blanket and some food or water would be better than nothing until he can be gotten into a kennels.

hi mods

can you lock this thread, please

thanks

Just to clarify something.I was only about 13, and I did ask, in fact I insisted, but she was an Animal Lover (note the capitals), and so refused to believe that I might actually not like to be sniffed at by her carnivores, or that anyone might find the attention of creatures with alien intelligence, no ability to reason, a predisposition to eating other creatures, teeth and claws, ever so slightly uncomfortable.

well i hate to tell you this but dogs especially German shepherds can reason .

hi mods

can you lock this thread, please

thanks

+1.

Des, I travel around Finglas alot. There's a lot of what I call 'neighbourhood dogs' who are allowed roam free in the estates. I think we all had one on our road when we were growing up (in Dublin at least).

Unless the dog is in obvious discomfort or is very annoying I wouldn't be overly stressed about the poor thing. Its most likely just allowed roam free and wondering back to the family home of its own free will, I think alot of us forget how dog ownership used to be.

For someone who's afraid of dogs its good of you to show some concern all the same, weldone.

Morganna wrote: »
    well i hate to tell you this but dogs especially German shepherds can reason .
    You are of course, completely right. I've even seen hampsters reason (in between trying to kill me with cuteness by sneezing:)). What I meant was that I can't reason with it.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Can't believe the abuse and unhelpful responses given to someone who posted to ask for advice on how to best help a stray dog.

Wreck wrote: »
    Can't believe the abuse and unhelpful responses given to someone who posted to ask for advice on how to best help a stray dog.
    Yep, absoltely ridiculous and uncalled for.

Next time I'll know where not to come for help.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Yep, absoltely ridiculous and uncalled for.

Next time I'll know where not to come for help.

Well Des, I'd ask you NOT to do that as then we're all put into the same catagory.

People's concerns for animals sometimes clouds their judgement and they forget their concerns & passions for us humans too.

Don't write us all off :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement