Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted music everywhere you go !!

Options
  • 23-11-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭

I'll start by saying I like listening to most types of music....... but at a time and place that suits me.

I arranged to meet friends I'd not seen for quite a while for a meal in a fairly upmarket restaurant in Dublin. All was going well until half an hour into the meal a speaker above us began to spout out music at a level that we could not hear each other. We asked for it to be turned down, but were told that they (physically) could not, as it was controlled from outside :confused: I had never heard this before and had my suspicions. So I asked for the speaker to be disconnected which they refused to do. Even in the toilet, this music was blasting through. This happens in a lot of pubs and restaurants.

Do we constantly need to be bombarded by music everywhere we go ? I've nothing against disco bars if that's what people like, but we should have a choice. I wonder how many proprietors do a spot survey to see how many people actually want this music, especially in restaurants. Oasis of quietness are hard to find these days.

Rant over !! :D Anyone else have any opinions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Rigsby wrote: »
    We asked for it to be turned down, but were told that they (physically) could not, as it was controlled from outside :confused: I had never heard this before and had my suspicions.

Jesus, are these people for real? How stupid do they think their customers are?

I'm with you all the way on this one. I fully agree that too much music, or too much volume, can be very annoying, especially in restaurants and pubs. In a lot of places you can't hear yourself think let alone have a conversation. One of my local pubs have practically banned music and tv (except for important matches) and the place is thriving since. The publican wisely realised that people are far happier just having a conversation without being deafened by background noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I agree 100%, its really irritating.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I heard somewhere that people buy more drink if the music is at a high enough level to prevent easy conversation, but in a restaurant that's just ridiculous

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I heard somewhere that people buy more drink if the music is at a high enough level to prevent easy conversation

Really? I've quite often left places because the music is too loud, where I would've otherwise been happy to spend the evening having pints and a chat with friends.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really? I've quite often left places because the music is too loud, where I would've otherwise been happy to spend the evening having pints and a chat with friends.
    http://www.biologynews.net/archives/2008/07/21/loud_music_can_make_you_drink_more_in_less_time_in_a_bar.html
    Here's a report on it

I would agree with you to a certain extent, but at the same time if everyone else appears to be having a good time I'd usually keep my mouth shut :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Anyone else have any opinions ?

I agree. Nothing worse than being in a pub when 2 lads start loading in their equipment and then start playing only to force everyone out because of the volume of what they are singing and playing. It is mostly way too loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Totally in agreement on this. Playing loud music in night club situation may very well increase sales but do they actually think they'll get repeat business at a restaurant where people can't converse? Crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Very true .I remember the owner of my local in dublin was constantly asked by the younger regulars to get rid of the quite piped music and put a juke box in .His reply was always '' have you ever being in the pubs in england were conversation is next to immpossible ? And look around you ,everybodys chatting ,everybody can hear and some are actually listening to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

latchyco wrote: »
    Very true .I remember the owner of my local in dublin was constantly asked by the younger regulars to get rid of the quite piped music and put a juke box in .His reply was always '' have you ever being in the pubs in england were conversation is next to immpossible ? And look around you ,everybodys chatting ,everybody can hear and some are actually listening to :D

That's a very rare type of publican. Wish there were more like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You'll be glad to hear there's a recession on the way so. No royalties = no music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That's a very rare type of publican. Wish there were more like him.
    Well now i must admit it was over 15 years ago since i last set foot in the pub so i have no idea if he has gone down the same road as other pubs since .The same problem still exists in many pubs and venues here in england and nothing worse then trying to have a conversation over loud music .Practically impossible in some places .

Advertisement