Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Cake Recipe Needed

• 23-11-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

I am just looking for the recipe for traditional Irish Apple Cake.

Eg. Apples, Plain Flour, Caster Sugar, Butter etc.

Just the basic Irish repipe?

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

4oz self-raising flour
    Pinch of salt
    Pinch of ground cloves (optional)
    2oz butter at room temperature
    2 cooking apples
    2-4oz caster sugar (to taste)
    1 egg, beaten
    A little milk to mix
    Granulated sugar, to sprinkle over

Grease and base line a 7 inch round cake tin. Preheat oven to 190C/gas mark 5. Sieve the flour, salt and cloves into a bowl. Rub in the butter. Peel and core the apples, slice them thinly and add to the mixture with the sugar. Mix in the egg and enough milk to make a stiff batter, then turn it into the tin. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake for 20-25 miinutes until crisp,golden and springy to the touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wishbone

I use this one from Gary Rhodes - it's delish! It's like a light airy apple cake.

12 oz cooking apples peeled cored chopped finely
    8 oz self raising flour
    pinch of salt, cinnamon and nutmeg
    4 oz butter chopped into small pieces
    4 oz soft brown sugar,plus a little more for top
    2-3 tbsp milk

Pre heat oven to gas mark 4, grease 9 in sandwich or flapjack type tin.

Sift flour and spices. rub in butter until fine breadcrumbs.

Mix apples with sugar and stir into flour mix adding milk until a soft but not sticky batter is formed.

Sprinkle on a little sugar, cook for 40-50 mins until skewer comes out clean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

wishbone wrote: »
    I use this one from Gary Rhodes - it's delish! It's like a light airy apple cake.

12 oz cooking apples peeled cored chopped finely
    8 oz self raising flour
    pinch of salt, cinnamon and nutmeg
    4 oz butter chopped into small pieces
    4 oz soft brown sugar,plus a little more for top
    2-3 tbsp milk

Pre heat oven to gas mark 4, grease 9 in sandwich or flapjack type tin.

Sift flour and spices. rub in butter until fine breadcrumbs.

Mix apples with sugar and stir into flour mix adding milk until a soft but not sticky batter is formed.

Sprinkle on a little sugar, cook for 40-50 mins until skewer comes out clean.

Thanks, I'm going to switch to this recipe :)

Advertisement