Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time pup in heat!!!!i think!

Options
  • 23-11-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

ok,i am a regular reader here and always get great advise so here goes.I have a 9mth old wheaten who i am 99% sure is in heat,she is acting different,nesting,hiding food,crying etc.also noticed blood stains(not a lot)on her towels.she is eating,pooping and weeing fine but i was wondering,i know her vulva swells,but how big will it actually get??i am a little shocked at the size of it to be honest!!just swelled overnight!i have read all there is about puppies and heat but nowhere mentions this!:rolleyes:she is my first pet and i am getting her spayed asap.i have not brought her out 4a walk the last few days as i dont want all the dogs at my gate!!!i feel so sorry 4her she has no idea whats going on!any advise from any owners would be great on the "swelling" etc!!also is there any tips you have that i can do to reassure her??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hello, yep, she's in heat. Don't worry, wait 2 weeks after her heat is finished and most vets will be happy to neuter her then, some wont before this as they want her blood volume to replenish!
    Don't take her out for a walk, she will attract unwanted attention and don't leave her in an area where she can escape because she will try to get the attention!
    As for the bleeding, don't leave her near your carpet or couch, keep giving her clean bedding.
    As for the swelling, cold water and kitchen roll if she looks a bit tender when trying to sit, like women during menstration, all dogs are different too. If she's not in pain she's fine, just make sure her behind is kept clean and that she's comfortable and she should be fine:)
    Good luck with her:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lisa708881

thanks 4that,will go now and try the cold water and kitchen roll!her poor bum is so swollen she cant sit,she was the biggest in her litter and is very big for her age.its at times like this i wish she could talk!!now i know why she was bringing twigs and things to make a "nest" under the garden table!!!maybe i have a bird not a puppy!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Yes, twigs is a unique one, my little girl kept shredding paper and robbing underwear and socks so stock pile her bed! She always tried going for my favourite t-shirts too.
    The Cold water should help the swelling and pain, the other thing people advise is an ice pack in an old cloth but good luck getting her to sit on it! My one ran for the hills after about 5 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd also thank Wolf for that advice.

I've never had a bitch before (although I married something resembling one!) and have six month old Ruby now.

Although she's not shown any signs yet, I've no idea what to expect so that reading will be of help, thanks.

Advertisement