Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java help

Options
  • 23-11-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I'm having some problem with trying to get this supposedly simple program to work.

[html]
    public class HelloWorld
    {
    public static void main (String[] args)
    {
    String HelloWorld = ("hello world how are you");
    //helloWorld = "hello world how are you";

System.out.print (HelloWorld);
    }

}[/html]I keep getting this error message.

Can you's tell me where i'm going wrong

Thanks

Complyordie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

in the attached image there's no closing bracket on the class but it's the in the code box. Is it actually in the code?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

also you shouldn't call the string the same name as the class

only class names should start with a capital letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

As Sam Vimes said you're missing a closing bracket in the code that's in the picture. The code you've got in your post above works fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stimulant

Firstly the code is working correctly on my machine.
    Plus a missing bracket would not cause that error.

From a quick google, it seems that it could be a class path issue.

Possible solutions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stimulant

Here is a few other more lightly reasons:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: HelloWorldApp

If you receive this error, java cannot find your bytecode file, HelloWorldApp.class.

One of the places java tries to find your .class file is your current directory. So if your .class file is in C:\java, you should change your current directory to that. To change your directory, type the following command at the prompt and press Enter:

cd c:\java
    The prompt should change to C:\java>. If you enter dir at the prompt, you should see your .java and .class files. Now enter java HelloWorldApp again.

If you still have problems, you might have to change your CLASSPATH variable. To see if this is necessary, try clobbering the classpath with the following command.

set CLASSPATH=
    Now enter java HelloWorldApp again. If the program works now, you'll have to change your CLASSPATH variable. To set this variable, consult the Update the PATH variable section in the JDK 6 installation instructions. The CLASSPATH variable is set in the same manner.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: HelloWorldApp/class
    A common mistake made by beginner programmers is to try and run the java launcher on the .class file that was created by the compiler. For example, you'll get this error if you try to run your program with java HelloWorldApp.class instead of java HelloWorldApp. Remember, the argument is the name of the class that you want to use, not the filename.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: main

The Java VM requires that the class you execute with it have a main method at which to begin execution of your application. A Closer Look at the "Hello World!" Application discusses the main method in detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

from command prompt.

set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;.

After that it should run. Shorter version of what Stimulant said.

you can also do..

java -cp c:\directory HelloWorld

directory would be the location where the class file is, or the root of the package.

Advertisement