Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Photographers

• 23-11-2008 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Having met a few of the photographer 'fraternity' during the ballooning championships this year, I decided that you were all having too much fun so I've gone and bought a Nikon D60.

Just wondering if you're all going wandering to take photos anytime over the next couple of months if you'd PM me and maybe I could tag along and learn how to use this beast!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

D60 is a great piece of kit :)

Myself and Roen pop out nearly every second weekend, so we'll let you know what's happening, though our trips mightn't be as frequent with the dulling weather!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Fajitas! wrote: »
    D60 is a great piece of kit :)

Myself and Roen pop out nearly every second weekend, so we'll let you know what's happening, though our trips mightn't be as frequent with the dulling weather!!

Great stuff. I've a book recommendation from Kensutz so now I need a 16GB SD and a good backpack type bag. (All gear recommendations accepted!)

The lens is 18-55 but Im thinking of getting the 55-200 lens attachment from a friend in the states.

Well, for the safari, considering you're going to have no end of other bags, I can't recommend the crumpler series enough, you'll fit all your other every day bits and bobs in there too. But that's more suited to the Photography forum ;)

There's Waterford camera club too, which I'm afraid I can't help you too much on, but I'm sure someone can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

A few friends and myself were going to go out today but turned crap around 12ish as it usually does.. sun splits the rocks until 12 then its just rains for the rest of the day? Tomorrow ill be probably going out to tramore surfing I might stick around out there if its nice for some photos. Really want to get out with the new camera.. bloody weather.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tis always the way, you have to be up early to get the good weather but its often hard at the weekend ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭JMcL

Waterford camera club meet every 2nd Monday up at Roanmore GAA club (upstairs). There's a program for the rest of 2008 here.

Next meeting is on Monday next though the one after that (last before Christmas) will be the AGM, and probably not the most exciting for a first time. There're a bunch of us who go out fairly regularly as well, so feel free to drop along - you can come to a couple of meetings to decide whether it's for you or not before committing to the membership fee, basically just pay the nightly fee.

JMcL wrote: »
    Waterford camera club meet every 2nd Monday up at Roanmore GAA club (upstairs). There's a program for the rest of 2008 here.

Next meeting is on Monday next though the one after that (last before Christmas) will be the AGM, and probably not the most exciting for a first time. There're a bunch of us who go out fairly regularly as well, so feel free to drop along - you can come to a couple of meetings to decide whether it's for you or not before committing to the membership fee, basically just pay the nightly fee.

Great stuff.. what does membership cost? and what is the nightly fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

€3 a night and €30 for the year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kensutz wrote: »
    €3 a night and €30 for the year.

fair sight cheaper then the Kilkenny club which is about 70e,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

what exactly happens at these meetings, do ye all just sit around comparing cameras and gear and whatnot, or is it tutorials for the less experienced, hints and tips etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

longshanks wrote: »
    what exactly happens at these meetings, do ye all just sit around comparing cameras and gear and whatnot, or is it tutorials for the less experienced, hints and tips etc?

As far as I know - both. I think the lads said that a while back when someone asked. :)

Sounds great lads, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Get a few boardsies and get out somewhere. Never saw the point in a "club" Im always up for heading out places around the town. I have no car though so it cant be to far :pac:

Lets organise something.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Something around the time of the Christmas holidays would suit me. I'm up to my eyes most weekends with photographing matches and now it's coming to the time of Christmas nights out too that most weekends will be spent recovering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clubs

*shudders*

Mike

its time for a meet alright, good to put faces to the names and get out and about taking shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭JMcL

longshanks wrote: »

Typically there'll be a nightly photo competition, some member presenting their work, and a description of some techniques, photoshop, lighting etc. You won't necessarily have all of these on any given night, though the photo competition is pretty much a given. It's not really gear driven.

Sorry I missed the meeting last night, a few things popped up that meant I didnt get in there in time.

I'll go in the new year for definite.

Is anyone here interested in local wildlife photography? Its something I'd love to learn about, and its very much a local knowledge thing I think. Some good wildlife photographers would know the good spots!

I'm guessing places like Woodstown beach, Fenor bog, etc would be good places.

Roen, who dosn't pop around here much these days, has a wealth of information about wildlife.

By the way, join Flickr, there's quite a few Waterford and South East groups on it. Plenty of info on locations, etc.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Roen, who dosn't pop around here much these days, has a wealth of information about wildlife.

By the way, join Flickr, there's quite a few Waterford and South East groups on it. Plenty of info on locations, etc.

Will do!! I'll feel a bit like a child handing in a join the dots picture to an art gallery :)

• Advertisement

Seriously - don't.

We all started somewhere. The first few pages of muck on my flickr will always remind me of that :o

Advertisement