Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steering Lock

• 23-11-2008 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

Is the inbuilt steering lock on motorbikes actually of any use?

I've hard before that sometimes even a quick and forceful jerk of the handlebars can break that lock but I'm sceptical...

Comments

It's better than nothing, but I wouldn't leave my bike anywhere without a disc lock at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I asked about this when I bought my bike a few weeks ago. The bloke in the shop told me a good kick will more than likely brake the steering lock. Then he gave me a free chain :) I also picked up a disc lock about a week later. I don't use the steering lock at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I use the steering lock alright but always have something else too...normally three locks on the bike if it's night.

Heavy chain, u-lock and disc lock.

In general though, if I'm in college or somewhere where the bike is safe I have the disc lock on it and I carry the u-lock everywhere though only really use it at night.

clown bag wrote: »
    I don't use the steering lock at all.

Why make a potential thief's life easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Yeah, all you need to do is turn the key a tiny extra bit, might as well use it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Fabio wrote: »
    Is the inbuilt steering lock on motorbikes actually of any use?

I've hard before that sometimes even a quick and forceful jerk of the handlebars can break that lock but I'm sceptical...
    As a security device its useless

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

They are bout as useful as a lighter inside a gas tank. Better get a good chain and disk lock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

steering locks are more of a security aid,there handy if youre running in and out of a shop but useless if parking up for any length of time

Advertisement