Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sao Paulo, Anyone been? Advice?

• 23-11-2008 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Got drunk in a mates gaff the other night and booked flights to Sao Paulo in January for 2 months. Was kinda regretting it but am just gonna go.

Have never been travelling on my own before so dont know what to expect.

Am flying into Sao Paulo, Brazil (Guarulhos International Airport - GRU).

Has anyone ever been before? Any advice? Is really that dodgy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

You'll have a great time. SP is a huge city and I found enough to do there for about 2 days. I much prefered Rio de Janerio. In 2 months time you'll have time to go down to Buenos Aires and over to Rio to take in Carnival which is the week around Pancake Tuesday (not sure when that is this year). Book accomodation in Rio for that week now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭acostelloe1

cheers for the info man, did u travel it on your own?. whats it like?

Yeah I travelled on my own but met lots of people in hostels and the like so I'd plenty of people to go out with if I wanted to. You sound like you're worried about Sp and Rio but don't be. Obviously take all usual precautions but I thought they were fine and I stayed in Copacabana opposite the metro station. I'd to walk past all the prostitutes and druggies to go to the shop! In Rio in particular don't carry alot of money on you especially at the beach, just bring what you need for the day.

cool, thanks a mil for the advice! am starting to really look forward to this now! :)

actually can u recommend any good hostels in Rio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭p to the e

actually can u recommend any good hostels in Rio?

i stayed in Bamboo hostel which was decent enough. there's about ten beds in a cramped room but it's just a place to lay your head. they're friendly and helpful.. i also heard of a hostel called the lighthouse which is supposed to be brilliant but it's small and doesn't hold a lot of people hence you should book ahead. Rio is unbelieveable. Sorry i didn't go to Sao Paulo though. see if you can go to an island a few hour away form Rio called Isla Grande. it's paradise.

I stayed in a hostel in central Copacabana called 'Stone of a beach'. My room was girls only, with 6 beds and an ensuite which was great. Didn't request it, was just given it. A lot of the hostels have discounts if you stay for a week or so. I also stayed in a hostel called 'Yellow Mellow' just up the road from it for 2 nights but left because I was attacked by the biggest bed bugs I've ever seen. They were gross and made me feel quite sick for a day or so afterwards. That was a real party hostel with 20 beds in a room and only fans for a/c. You definately need a proper a/c unit in the room. Lot of people stay in Ipanema now as Copa has got very run down.

If you're there for Carnival you need to book ahead, you'll probably get fleeced for staying in Rio at the time, better idea would be to head up the coast, maybe to somewhere like Salvador where it's a little quieter. The whole country shuts down around this time with business closed and buses running on holiday timetables. I got stuck in south-east Brazil near the Urguary border because of this for 4 days.

cool, thanks for the advice everyone. was thinking of heading to Salvador anyway so ill prob do that. cheers.

Advertisement