Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord problem....urgentish..

Options
  • 23-11-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm posting on behalf of son......
    He moved into a place, €200 a month plus bills. Paid a months rent in advance, PLUS two months deposit - ie €600 total. All bills are up to date.

This months rent due today, but he moved back home (aaargh:() two days ago, for various reasons which I do not need to go in to. Asked landlord at the beginning of tenency if rent allowance was ok, she said yes, but she has failed to fill in/sign forms(three months ago) so he has been paying rent from U/Benefit of €197 or so.Will not give him a tel no. for contact, nor address.

He telephoned the landlord and explained that he was gone, and that as she had the equivalent of three months rent, to keep the one month in lieu of notice and that he would be requiring his deposit back. She has outright refused.

Does he have any recourse?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Without documentation- its pretty much a case of he said/she said.
    However.......
    Legally the tenancy should have been registered with the PRTB.
    Failure to register the tenancy can result in a substantial fine for the landlord.
    A possible course of action might be to communicate to the landlord that you intended to query the non-return of the deposit with the PRTB in accordance with the 2002 Residential Tenancies Act. Give her the option to return the deposit. On non-return- contact the PRTB and open a dispute.

Unless the landlord is totally stupid, or entirely compliant and confident that she can indeed fight the case, she will simply hand you back the deposit......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Thanks - I checked on their website - the address is not there:( She is definitely dodgy-always sent the mother for the rent, won't give a contact address. In actual fact, son did want to write to her and enclose the rent allowance forms again, but with no adress.....rent money was left in an envelope by the door, the mother just would come and collect it - scrawled a receipt for whoever was in at the time and asked for one.Very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

dragona wrote: »
    Thanks - I checked on their website - the address is not there:( She is definitely dodgy-always sent the mother for the rent, won't give a contact address. In actual fact, son did want to write to her and enclose the rent allowance forms again, but with no adress.....rent money was left in an envelope by the door, the mother just would come and collect it - scrawled a receipt for whoever was in at the time and asked for one.Very odd.

Not so odd, sounds like a tax dodge. I had a similar situation with my daughter. Lots of problems in the flat, pipes leaking, heating not working etc. I left a note with the rent money, mentioning the PRTB and it was like waving a magic wand. As a regulatory body, I don't rate them, but I think the possibility of Revenue getting involved swayed him. My daughter stayed there another six months and when she left we informed PRTB anyway:D

Advertisement