Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm surprised there's even 1 of these in the country!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Why?
    Very discreet car for the right owner. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but same can be said of any other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

yeah lovely car,I drove one of these a while back and was very impressed,
    highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Why?
    Very discreet car for the right owner. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but same can be said of any other car.

I'd love one myself, total sleeper to the untrained eye, but a bullet underneath.

Just thought they'd be completely undesirable given the Irish midset to cars.

Has to be flash and fast or practical and conventional. Rarely the twain do meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'd love one myself, total sleeper to the untrained eye, but a bullet underneath.

Just thought they'd be completely undesirable given the Irish midset to cars.

Has to be flash and fast or practical and conventional. Rarely the twain do meet.

still some peolple out there that buy them oddball cars,like merc b200 turbo,opel zafira turbo,golf R32 and the like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Wouldnt be my cup of tea at all. Will agree with othyer poster though I do like the way it looks "normal" but would imagine it would piss passed some of them boy racers. Would like a go of it though for the laugh, I love driving cars, it always reminds me how good bikes are lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes drove one of them at the mazda zoom zoom challenge at mondello. Nice chassis it is and handles the power nicely. Foolishly I then thought mondello had got a fleet of these for the performance driving school but no, f*cking 1.6 engine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Why surprised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

As a mazda 3 owner id rather buy one of these over a golf Gti. Too many of them around. Cracking car the MPS.

Don't get the surprise though. Although post july08 2000 a year tax!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

cabrwab wrote: »
    Although post july08 2000 a year tax!!
    Which is why there will be little or none of these on the road in this country. Shame really.

EDIT: Oh and i'd say this is why ninty9er was expressing his surprise that garages have decided to try and seel a few.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

If only twas a 3dr I would be all over it.

Still must pack some nice punch!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That one in Limerick is there awhile alright, lovely alternative to a Gti, would really stand out. Cracking car looks wise i think. Haven't driven one, or any Mazda 3 for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

ninty9er wrote: »

The 3 MPS has been on the market here for well over a year now. I bought mine in Joe Duffy and as far as i know they have sold around 3 of them. Most of the Mazda dealers brought them in and probably got stung over recent times as 2.3T petrol drinkers are not too popular. Ok looks wise they dont match the GTI/R32/ST/OPC etc but im 31 with kids so i wanted practical and understated! The car is fast (0-100 6.1) and although FWD, with a host of gadgets, it puts the power down amazingly well. It also comes with great spec (half leather, climate, cruise, xenons etc). They wont sell any more here with the new vrt/tax system but a new model is due in the near future which hopefully will address this (and the looks).

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Mazda-3-MPS-2009-the-spy-photos2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i agree with omega man, when i want a hot hach with kids this is the ideal car as its decent enough size, i personally would pic it over any other hatchback currently on the market and well, there quite nippy too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I was passed out by one the other day. recognised what it was when i joined the motorway from the slip road...but didnt notice the little old dear behind the wheel until i was breathing in her exhaust fumes:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

How does it compare to the Octavia RS 2.0 TFSI ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

That one in Limerick is there awhile alright, lovely alternative to a Gti, would really stand out. Cracking car looks wise i think. Haven't driven one, or any Mazda 3 for that matter.

Ya, the dealer registered it before July in order to be able to sell it on the old road tax system. It's still practically brand new, probably has less than 200 miles on it.

Kafer wrote: »

A good bit quicker.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Looks are very subjective. For me that looks too ordinary. Bland in fact. A hot hatch should have a little more visual appeal.

Engine and performance are impressive.

Oh and lastly another personal view. All hot hatches should be 3 door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

A great sleeper, at a recent cars and coffee one passed twice without anyone even noticing, it wasn't until he parked up and blipped the throttle that we realised the engine note was different to a regular Mazda3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

omega man wrote: »
    The 3 MPS has been on the market here for well over a year now. I bought mine in Joe Duffy and as far as i know they have sold around 3 of them. Most of the Mazda dealers brought them in and probably got stung over recent times as 2.3T petrol drinkers are not too popular. Ok looks wise they dont match the GTI/R32/ST/OPC etc but im 31 with kids so i wanted practical and understated! The car is fast (0-100 6.1) and although FWD, with a host of gadgets, it puts the power down amazingly well. It also comes with great spec (half leather, climate, cruise, xenons etc). They wont sell any more here with the new vrt/tax system but a new model is due in the near future which hopefully will address this (and the looks).

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Mazda-3-MPS-2009-the-spy-photos2/

my mate bought his black one from joe duffy too.
    cracking car imo and would love one.
    260bhp, tons of torque and if im honest the FWD handles it good.

my ony grip is the 2.3 road tax :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Was over in Thruxton last week - they had a fleet of these to go around with instructors first to show you the track. I found it pokey enough but wasnt blown away, I guess it's because the instructor wasnt ripping the a**e out of it, and there were four of us on board at the time

sphd08.jpg

Kafer wrote: »

I really liked my vRS but its more of a saloon then a 'hot hatch' if anything. Power/performance wise the mps is far ahead and yet retains the practicality of the vRS. To be honest the flashing traction light was far more common in the less powered vRS. Sadly both cars suffer from badge snobery and perceived build quality. I admit that neither will set the heart racing looks wise but i would still have the vRS over the gti and the MPS gives you R32/S3/130i performance for a fraction of the cost. All in all its a family friendly car that goes like s**t and will return 30mpg on a good day.

TheBazman wrote: »
    Was over in Thruxton last week - they had a fleet of these to go around with instructors first to show you the track. I found it pokey enough but wasnt blown away, I guess it's because the instructor wasnt ripping the a**e out of it, and there were four of us on board at the time

sphd08.jpg

Pokey enough! Did you drive it? You must be used to serious performance cars so. In fairness 4 adults in any car wont help.

Pokey enough! Did you drive it? You must be used to serious performance cars so. In fairness 4 adults in any car wont help.

I'm not being critical. As I said the guy only floored it a couple of times and as you have mentioned 4 adults will make a difference. Went around on a hot lap with a driver in an RX-8 - now that guy did absolutely rip the a**e out of it. I dont know how the car didnt lose grip on the bends

I'm not being critical. The guy only floored it a couple of times and as you have mentioned 4 adults will make a difference. Went around on a hot lap with a driver in an RX-8 - now that guy did absolutely rip the a**e out of it. I dont know how the car didnt lose grip on the bends

I'm not being critical. The guy only floored it a couple of times and as you have mentioned 4 adults will make a difference. Went around on a hot lap with a driver in an RX-8 - now that guy did absolutely rip the a**e out of it. I dont know how the car didnt lose grip on the bends

I was watching in Mondello where one of the instructors took out the MPS on a hot lap and another followed in an RX8. Both took off and nailed it, MPS spinning wheels in 3rd and 4th gear even! RX8 couldn't close the gap leaving the pit.

Biro wrote: »
    I was watching in Mondello where one of the instructors took out the MPS on a hot lap and another followed in an RX8. Both took off and nailed it, MPS spinning wheels in 3rd and 4th gear even! RX8 couldn't close the gap leaving the pit.

There was only 2 of us in the RX-8 and the guy was really showing what he (and the car) could do, as opposed to the MPS where the guy was mostly just showing us the track

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

This is my first post and I joined just because I was reading your comments about this car and how you hardly see any of them about, I have had one for the last 8 months and only seen two others (one in the north and one in dublin), what colour is yours omega man? I took mine to over to a track in scotland with a friend who has the vauxhall astra vxr (opel astra opc) and i definately had the edge on the track over him. And on the roads its great (very smooth for long distance cruising). Also the same friend regularly gets pulled over by the guards and PSNI because of the noise and looks of his car but I have never had any attention from either due to the cars subtle looks! anyway i got sidetracked, have you seen a 'cosmic blue' (grey/blue) mps kicking about dublin anybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm not being critical. As I said the guy only floored it a couple of times and as you have mentioned 4 adults will make a difference. Went around on a hot lap with a driver in an RX-8 - now that guy did absolutely rip the a**e out of it. I dont know how the car didnt lose grip on the bends
    I drove both the RX-8 and the MPS at the zoom zoom mazda day at Mondello and the MPS felt considerably faster than the RX-8, presume that's down to the lack of torque in the RX-8.
    I was very impressed with the MPS, I was convinced it was 4 wheel drive on the day it handled the bends so well.

Advertisement