Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not an Alien Space Craft........But What was It

• 23-11-2008 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Right before you all think I was on the soup I was on my way to the gym at 6pm on Friday night so I was completely sober and had my full senses!

Anyway was driving down the Folly just after the traffic lights when i noticed in the sky what at first I thought was a UFO!! but at closer inspection looked like a mini hot air balloon - basically it was a cylindrical shape with a burner like you'd see on a hot air baloon only much smaller. It was being blown around with the wind about 100 feet off the ground over John's College but it was heading in the direction of the Tennis club area. I'd say it was about 8 feet tall and about 2 feet in diameter - it looked like a big light shade but as i said it was been kept in the air with some kind of burner underneath.

Did anyone else see it or does anyone have any idea what it was - Trotter or any of the lads involved with balooning.

It was flying freely and definitely wasnt a remote controlled thing nor would i say was it a weather balloon because of the burner thing underneath and no it wasnt transporting aliens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

paddy1mac wrote: »
    Right before you all think I was on the soup I was on my way to the gym at 6pm on Friday night so I was completely sober and had my full senses!

Anyway was driving down the Folly just after the traffic lights when i noticed in the sky what at first I thought was a UFO!! but at closer inspection looked like a mini hot air balloon - basically it was a cylindrical shape with a burner like you'd see on a hot air baloon only much smaller. It was being blown around with the wind about 100 feet off the ground over John's College but it was heading in the direction of the Tennis club area. I'd say it was about 8 feet tall and about 2 feet in diameter - it looked like a big light shade but as i said it was been kept in the air with some kind of burner underneath.

Did anyone else see it or does anyone have any idea what it was - Trotter or any of the lads involved with balooning.

It was flying freely and definitely wasnt a remote controlled thing nor would i say was it a weather balloon because of the burner thing underneath and no it wasnt transporting aliens

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU !

Going to the gym :eek: , on a Friday night :eek::eek: What is becoming of us , our forefathers are turning in their graves ,

How say it with me ....." Friday night = PUB "..............

OP stop this behavour quick or you'll go mad and start seen things :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 paddy1mac

Never fear rockman .......... the gym was preparation and making sure I had a proper thirst for later......LMAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Didnt see it meself boy. Sounds a bit odd alright. What rockman doing with Waterford town as location even though waterford is a city grrrrrrrrr lol.

thing is it had to hit the ground somewhere so someone must have found it - i'd say if it hit a car or a house there would be a bit of damage done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Might have an idea as to what this was. My GF's sister got these things to set off at her wedding. They're basically like mini hot air balloons. You light a wax ring and set them off. Have been mistaken for ufos in the past. Had great craic with them so we did.

http://www.reviva-weddings.com/images/sky_lantern_mosac.jpg

The truth is out there!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No chance it was the helicopter no? Tis about a lot lately high in the sky and all you can see is a white light!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

I set these off all the time. One day last week one of the lads rang me and asked if i set one off, that he saw one by the tramore road, same one maybe?

that wasnt my one but yeah...mini hot air balloons made with black sacks and birthday candles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I can confirm that I was not flying in a directionless aircraft in the dark at 6pm last week. :D

I am not an alien either..

Any pilot that flys a hot air balloon over a city in the dark is a mentaller and nobody I know reaches a level of that crazy.

So...

Local balloons are out as an option!

Asmodean wrote: »
    Might have an idea as to what this was. My GF's sister got these things to set off at her wedding. They're basically like mini hot air balloons. You light a wax ring and set them off. Have been mistaken for ufos in the past. Had great craic with them so we did.

http://www.reviva-weddings.com/images/sky_lantern_mosac.jpg

The truth is out there!!:D

Thanks Asmodean that's exactly what it was........we can all sleep in our beds for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A Chinese lantern alert!

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Indeed there was a ufo, landed in larchville. According to locals anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Dan133269 wrote: »
    first mini tornados!!!! now aliens!!!! what next for larchville???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

first mini tornados!!!! now aliens!!!! what next for larchville???

law and order ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I set these off all the time. One day last week one of the lads rang me and asked if i set one off, that he saw one by the tramore road, same one maybe?

that wasnt my one but yeah...mini hot air balloons made with black sacks and birthday candles

Know of any good guides for making your own? Would like to give this a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

KingLoser wrote: »
    Know of any good guides for making your own? Would like to give this a shot.

http://www.overflite.com/scooter.html

X frame is handiest. 20 birthday candles for 80 cent in tesco.

Just replace dry cleaner bags with those really light wheelie bin liners and use whatever u can find as the sticks. Balsa wood if you can track it down. I use really thin sticks of bamboo that is used for decoration in pots and stuff.

Masking tape is best as its lightest. I just lie ten candles down in a row and put the stick below them, then tape them all in a line to the center of the stick, at the bottom of the candles. Repeat with the other stick and then throw them onto the bag :D

Oh and best to fill it up with hot air from a hairdryer before lighting the candles, flys for longer that way. Clear cold nights with no wind are ideal :D

Need any help gissa shout

did they come to collect johnny tierney to take him back to his home planet lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

SUNGOD wrote: »
    law and order ??????

:D nice
    did they come to collect johnny tierney to take him back to his home planet lol
    Jasus I can't believe you know Johnny, worked in Tesco for couple of years, fella used to be in there the whole time. He probably wouldn't know me all the same :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Jasus I can't believe you know Johnny, worked in Tesco for couple of years, fella used to be in there the whole time. He probably wouldn't know me all the same :p

who doesnt know johnny? the unoffical major of larchville

anyone who can christian their son "benjy" and keep a straight face is a legend in my book :D

i used do security in the shopping centre he used torment the **** out of me every day lol

Advertisement