Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car rental question on excess

Options
  • 23-11-2008 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi

I am going over to uk for Xmas and was thinking of hiring a car. Whats the best option when deciding what to do the excess you might have to pay in the event of damage to the car. I have come across websites like carhireexcess.com were you can insure against the excess which seems to be cheaper then lowering the excess to 0 with the car rental company.

Whats the best option
    1 take a chance and not worry about the excess
    2 buy the extra insurance through the car rental company
    3 try something like carhireexcess.com

cheers

grasscutter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

just did a quote for insuring the excess for 20 euro...... seems pretty good... for 6 days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I always take the extra cover to reduce the excess to nil. It's one less thing to worry about - especially if you are on holidays. All it takes it some fupper to rip a wing mirror from your parked rental car. That'll probably cost more than the excess - painted, electric, etc....... The other advantage is it gets rid of the "you scratched the car/no it was like that when I got it" argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

As someone who used work in the car rental game, i'd say go for the car hire excess deal. The waiver you pay the company is way over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote: »
    I always take the extra cover to reduce the excess to nil.

So do I, although I've never incurred any damage on a rental car. On my last rental reducing to nil wasn't possible though. I could and did reduce the access from the standard €1,000 to €140 for €20 (3 days) on a 7-seater MPV

Advertisement