Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

All things Tyres - Tread depth. When to Replace them. What Brand would you buy?

Options
  • 23-11-2008 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Now that the winter is finally settling in I decided to have alook at my tyres to see what state they are in. Turns out three of the four are showing 4mm with the remaining one at just shy of 5mm. The legal limit is 1.6mm but I have always heard that you should really be replacing tyres when they are at 3mm tread depth. With the mileage I do and the fairly soft tyres I currently have on my car, I feel I'm probably OK for another month or two. What would you do? Replace all/two/none now?

My current tyres are Pirelli P6000's and are 225/45/R17's. The Pirelli's are very grippy but they are soft, noisy and wear quickly. Any ideas what other brands would be a good replacement? Since this tyre size can be ridiculously expensive and since I drive pretty conservatively, the cost is more important than the performance. All the same I would like to keep road noise down if at all possible.

In the past, I just went into Kwif-Fit or wherever and got whatever tyre fitted the budget. This time I would like to go in and know what I want beforehand..... Been told Bridgestone Turanza's are good decent performance, quiet tyres but ahve no idea of cost yet. Any ideas??

Cheers!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hi Folks,

Now that the winter is finally settling in I decided to have alook at my tyres to see what state they are in. Turns out three of the four are showing 4mm with the remaining one at just shy of 5mm. The legal limit is 1.6mm but I have always heard that you should really be replacing tyres when they are at 3mm tread depth. With the mileage I do and the fairly soft tyres I currently have on my car, I feel I'm probably OK for another month or two. What would you do? Replace all/two/none now?

My current tyres are Pirelli P6000's and are 225/45/R17's. The Pirelli's are very grippy but they are soft, noisy and wear quickly. Any ideas what other brands would be a good replacement? Since this tyre size can be ridiculously expensive and since I drive pretty conservatively, the cost is more important than the performance. All the same I would like to keep road noise down if at all possible.

In the past, I just went into Kwif-Fit or wherever and got whatever tyre fitted the budget. This time I would like to go in and know what I want beforehand..... Been told Bridgestone Turanza's are good decent performance, quiet tyres but ahve no idea of cost yet. Any ideas??

Cheers!!!

The Grandparents got 25k kms out of Turanzas on their 06 Focus, but they're not particularly cheap to replace.

I just replaced 2 Firestones with Vredestein Hi-Tracs.

The guy in the warehouse showed me there's a little nub in the tread of all tyres that sitcks up and you should replace asap as soon as the tyre surface reaches this level.

I find the Hi-Tracs to be slightly quieter than the Firestones, but won't know the full extent of that until I replace the 2 rear tyres after Christmas.

They were €94 a tyre fitted and aligned IIRC, though might have been €88, must check the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Wow! Maybe I had a bad idea of what acceptable wear rates were! My Pirelli's would give me about 17,000-20,000 miles from new. That's about 30k kms which I didn't think was all that good!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id go for vredestein ultrac sessantas, relatively expensive but not obscene and super super tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ Have a look here and make up your own mind.

Advertisement