Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going out in Sligo

Options
  • 23-11-2008 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend decent places to go out in Sligo now? I am going out with a group of friends next Saturday night and was wondering where is the best place to bring them.

I don't go out regularly in Sligo anymore, the last time I was out I went to Fiddlers. While the meal was lovely, the pub afterwards was terrible with no atmosphere what so ever in the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

If you are going to eat. I suggest the Sakura on Stephen Street which has recently been revamped in a rather posh "Classic Chinese" style, the grub is good too.
    I try to avoid Saturday nights in Pubs but I go to Furey's if I am out, there always seems to be just enough room to be comfortable and it has a friendly up for it crowd. If you want to keep your gang together than get out early and grab a snug in Hardgadons. Then nip over to Shananagins for late drinks with no CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Some good suggestions there.

Will defintely go to Hardgadons; had forgotten that it had re-opened. Haven't been to Shenanagans so will give it a try; the last time I was in there it was terrible with loads of students steamed, so will be good to see how it has changed.

Will give Sakura a miss as not all the group like Chinese. Wll try it myself sometime but Saturday I will go to the Glasshouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Hargadons was very disappointing imo - there was some 16 year old behind the bar breathing into a glass, which he then proceeded to try and pour my pint into!

There used to be a good atmosphere in Hardgadons of old. Will give it a try on Saturday at least. I do think it's a pity that part of town is so dead now since they have it for pedrestians only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Xiney wrote: »
    Hargadons was very disappointing imo - there was some 16 year old behind the bar breathing into a glass, which he then proceeded to try and pour my pint into!
    Don't forget his attitude. Don't forget his sneering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Don't forget his attitude. Don't forget his sneering.

This just in. Teenager gets stroppy:eek:
    Those two sentences can be used in many and various situations. I shall exclaim them whenever the need/opportunity arises:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

il gatto wrote: »
    This just in. Teenager gets stroppy:eek:
    Those two sentences can be used in many and various situations. I shall exclaim them whenever the need/opportunity arises:D

exactly - if yer goin ta get upset about a sarky teenager serving in a pub then its probably not a great idea to go into town. For what its worth I went in there on Friday for a pint and thought it was great - good to see the old girl back.Also had my first ever pint in Colloney in my life on Sunday - thats some statistic for a man living in "da toun" for over 30 years. The verdict - I found it a pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

At least the recession means these kids/crap staff in general who think they are owed a job, might realise you have to actually do it well to remain employed.

Anyhoo, hope you had a good night OP.

Where has a good sized smoking section? My friends and I would hope to smoke cigars tonight and was wondering where would be the best place to have one in comfort (i.e not standing in the door way).

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Good pubs rarely have good smoking sections but Fureys has a very small but sociable area out back.

What kinda cigars are you smoking?

McGarrigles has a grubby but shletered area, band upstairs, Dj downstairs tonight.

• Advertisement

Had an enjoyable night in Sligo. The Glasshouse was good for food and a nice place to start off. Was in a few pubs but ended up in McHughs for a most of the night before heading over to Velvet.
    Wasn't impressed with the bouncers in Velvet; I know they are only doing their jobs but were stopping people for ID who were clearly in their mid 20's. I am against underage drinking but felt this was waste of time.
    Didn't bring any cigars with us out as there needs to be a decent smoking section in order to enjoy them. To answer your question Redarmyblues, I smoke Cohibas - not too much of a cigar buff but they are nice after a good meal.

CSC wrote: »
    Had an enjoyable night in Sligo. The Glasshouse was good for food and a nice place to start off. Was in a few pubs but ended up in McHughs for a most of the night before heading over to Velvet.
    Wasn't impressed with the bouncers in Velvet; I know they are only doing their jobs but were stopping people for ID who were clearly in their mid 20's. I am against underage drinking but felt this was waste of time.
    Didn't bring any cigars with us out as there needs to be a decent smoking section in order to enjoy them. To answer your question Redarmyblues, I smoke Cohibas - not too much of a cigar buff but they are nice after a good meal.

Velvet doesn't let anyone under the age of 23 in so it's got really very little to do with drinking age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Velvet doesn't let anyone under the age of 23 in so it's got really very little to do with drinking age.

&
    Once a club sets a min age AKA 23
    It cannot let anyone in under that age,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

CSC wrote: »
    Where has a good sized smoking section? My friends and I would hope to smoke cigars tonight and was wondering where would be the best place to have one in comfort (i.e not standing in the door way).

the belfry has a very nice smoking section, i often spend the whole evening out there, and i dont even smoke

Didn't realise about the Under 23s policy of Velvet.
    Haven't been to the Belfry in a long time. What it is like now? Haven't heard good reports to be honest but as I said I haven't checked it out for myself in ages.

The patio at the belfry is lovely, but the inside is meh. Same as fiddler's - no atmosphere, just REALLY LOUD CRAPPY MUSIC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

The patio at the belfry is lovely, but the inside is meh. Same as fiddler's - no atmosphere, just REALLY LOUD CRAPPY MUSIC

Really!?
    Is there a need for the negative comments?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

elshambo wrote: »
    Really!?
    Is there a need for the negative comments?:rolleyes:

:confused:

They're called opinions.

Advertisement