Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP SOS! - fairy cake crisis

• 23-11-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

ok, here I be trying to make fairy cakes for my child's cake fair tomorrow and its curdling,

Im creaming the butter and sugar, then adding the eggs one at a time and its curdled, i added a bit of flour and it looks like sh*t. Shall I continue? Ive no more caster sugar left. Im mixing it in a plastic bowl - is that why its curdling??

I shall await your instruction. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

think i'll have to go down the chocolate rice krispie cake route:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you add a small amount of flour with each egg it won't curdle. I did the same thing with a bakewell tart last week and had to throw out the first mix.
    Don't worry about not having any caster sugar left - my mother always made her buns with ordinary sugar, and I have done it too.

If you add a small amount of flour with each egg it won't curdle. I did the same thing with a bakewell tart last week and had to throw out the first mix.
    Don't worry about not having any caster sugar left - my mother always made her buns with ordinary sugar, and I have done it too.

Cheers
    okeeydokee, here we go, second attempt,, i shall report back:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

When making fairy cakes, you should be able to bang everything in at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Don't mean to be smart, but are you absolutely sure its curdled? I know when you first add flour it looks like crap, but if you keep going it turns into a smooth mix. (don't overmix or it will get leathery).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Hey Redpunto, dont worry too much if it looks like it has curdled it should still work. Wait till you get all the ingerdients together.

How are you decorating them? God i loved making them when i was a kid. Always cut the top off filled them with cream, and sliced the top to make wings. The good auld days ;).

Anyway, best of luck with them.

Pics or they were a disaster :D

themadchef wrote: »
    Hey Redpunto, dont worry too much if it looks like it has curdled it should still work. Wait till you get all the ingerdients together.

How are you decorating them? God i loved making them when i was a kid. Always cut the top off filled them with cream, and sliced the top to make wings. The good auld days ;).

Anyway, best of luck with them.

Pics or they were a disaster :D

Chucked out first attempt coz it really didnt look right, done it again (putting in a bit of flour with the egg, thanks Dizzyblonde:D) and in oven. so far so good but they have a couple of funny looking holes on the top of them:confused:gonna put melted choc and loads of sprinkles and bought jelly babies on the top so as long as I dont poison the kids I think we're doing ok:)

Thanks everybody, drama over:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Don't mean to be smart, but are you absolutely sure its curdled? I know when you first add flour it looks like crap, but if you keep going it turns into a smooth mix. (don't overmix or it will get leathery).

This is true, mine always look like they've curdled just after I add the egg. But yes, adding flour with the egg helps. Are you mixing by hand or in a machine?

Advertisement