Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to buy an Oil Extractor?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Local motorfactors.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Thanks for the comprehensive response, but I am looking for a particular type, see the link. Are these sold in local motor factors e.g. does Halfords have them? How much are they? Are they a different model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

McQuillian tool in Blanchardstown SC might do it... A mate of mint bought one for his garage from a guy that calls in every week selling tools.Ill try get his number for ya, it was about €70 I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

bradshaws in port laois, carlow and newbridge have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

If you're looking for one just like that, buy it from that ebay link. I went looking for that exact model last year and couldn't find it for less than 130 quid, even with a good trade discount in several factors around Dublin and Carlow.

For what, 70 quid delivered or thereabout, that's a good deal.

Gil

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comprehensive response, but I am looking for a particular type, see the link. Are these sold in local motor factors e.g. does Halfords have them? How much are they? Are they a different model?

Yes they are the ones,they come in a couple of different sizes,cost about 90euro for the bigger size.They are not ideal and dont get as much of the oil out as opening the sump bung.The oil has to be very hot so it can flow freely,sometimes they are quiet slow.Anyway what i found them useful was for when a car had too much oil put in it was handy to take a drop out.If your around Dublin west i can recommend a motorfactors that has them.
    Comprehensive :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

check marine shops too. most boats need these to change the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Son wrote: »
    Yes they are the ones,they come in a couple of different sizes,cost about 90euro for the bigger size.They are not ideal and dont get as much of the oil out as opening the sump bung.The oil has to be very hot so it can flow freely,sometimes they are quiet slow.Anyway what i found them useful was for when a car had too much oil put in it was handy to take a drop out.If your around Dublin west i can recommend a motorfactors that has them.
    Comprehensive :pac:

+1 They're not good for removing oil sludge deposits from the sump. I would not use one on a turbocharged engine for this reason. Draining from the sump plug is better IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

You drive a BMW 320D according to other posts therefore drain sump

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Ok, thanks for all the response.

Interesting that the recommendation is not to use these for a 320d. On the bimmer forums they come highly recommended but I can understand how for a turbo charged engine it might be better to drain it.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

I used to work in BMW and they had these in the workshop.They also had the air powered ones but as i said i rarely used them as they were slow and i didn't have full confidence in them removing as much as the sump bung would.
    I think the air powered ones were recommended by BMW hence why they had to have them in the workshop.The air vacuum units im on about are much bigger though,they have an oil drain pan on them as well.
    I suppose you could argue all day whether they are good or not.Maybe if you change the oil often then you could use them every second oil change or something like that!
    Then again you might as well get underneath and open the sump bung as it's not much hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Campbell Machinery in Dublin are the importers, iirc..........

Re: sump nut or not: well, opening the sump nut won't remove sludge, either, necessarily - if you have very bad sludge, you'll have to remove the sump and clean the oil pick up as well..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement