Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rock band newbie

Options
  • 23-11-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

got a 360 and aint played any of rock or guitar hero games..

is it worht getting or do you have to have a background in playing music./.

also any cheap prices for rock band 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

You definitely don't need to know anything about music but it helps if you have a good sense of rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Haven't seen the game with any instruments anywhere. Seems to be about the €60 euro mark standalone.

No experience needed. In fact, i remember seeing a clip of Dave Mustaine trying to play guitar hero and failing miserably. I think it's still on Youtube. They're two completely different animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

bonkers wrote: »
    got a 360 and aint played any of rock or guitar hero games..

is it worht getting or do you have to have a background in playing music./.

also any cheap prices for rock band 2

No.. you don't need any background in music. It helps to have rhythm, but if not, you will pick it up just by playing.

You can start on easy.. and even then you can turn "fail off" if you find it difficult.

best game I ever bought.

ps... I have no background in music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

€53 in HMV... Which is amazing value. And another 10% off if you're a student. I miss those days :(

Still, cheapness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Cully wrote: »
    You can start on easy.. and even then you can turn "fail off" if you find it difficult.

Is there any penalty for having NO FAIL set to on?

Can you still get achievements with it ON?

• Advertisement

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Is there any penalty for having NO FAIL set to on?

Can you still get achievements with it ON?

You don't get achievements and you can't get high scores when "No Fail" is set to ON.

Which is a good thing, or it'd be a horrible way to cheat past some of the game :P

Thanks, wont be turning that on so....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You certainly don't need any kind of musical talent although if you know a few of tunes it helps. Most tracks you'd have heard before though except for the odd very obscure band they throw into the track listings.

Just ignore the comments on some of the other threads around here about how easy it is to do <insert random track name> on expert or something though, it's not and those guys must have some strange shaped fingers to be able to play some of the tracks at that level. :D

robinph wrote: »
    You certainly don't need any kind of musical talent although if you know a few of tunes it helps. Most tracks you'd have heard before though except for the odd very obscure band they throw into the track listings.

Just ignore the comments on some of the other threads around here about how easy it is to do <insert random track name> on expert or something though, it's not and those guys must have some strange shaped fingers to be able to play some of the tracks at that level. :D

Some people just play these types of games far too much...

Although... it also helps to have a good sense of rhythm (which I have), and More Type IIb Fast Twitch muscle fibers in your arm/hands (which I don't have). I don't think I wanna go much more complicated than that... but it explains why even after 100000000000 hours of practise, I still can't improve any more on guitar :/ stupid DNA... *grumble*
    Thanks, wont be turning that on so....

Well... According to the Rock Band 2 comments (in game), they are not designed for you...
    "Parents, do your kids suck? Kids, Do your parents suck? Then choose No Fail mode"

"If you find that you are having a Rock Band Party and your friends are no longer in a state where they can pass songs. Choose No Fail mode from the options menu"

"Do your friends suck? If so, choose No Fail mode"

"Do you want to wail randomly on the mic, or bang randomly on the drums? You are not alone. Choose No Fail mode in the options menu"

These are just from memory.. The wording is probably not 100% exact, but the idea is the same... Seems that Harmonix are really plugging the no fail option... which means more fun for some...

Of course that's only for people who play for fun.. There is a lot there for people who wanna get scores and achievements too. I really like all the achievements in RB2.. They are all gettable with a bit of work. (I have 930/1000) GH3 Achievements = teh suck

Thats the only reason i would turn it on, because some of them jump on the drums and choose hard and fail within 10 notes...

• Advertisement

Thats the only reason i would turn it on, because some of them jump on the drums and choose hard and fail within 10 notes...

Yes, but no achievements. :rolleyes:

So.. if you want lots of achievements and you want your friends to do all the hard work, then get better friends. :pac:

Cully wrote: »
    Yes, but no achievements. :rolleyes:

So.. if you want lots of achievements and you want your friends to do all the hard work, then get better friends. :pac:

A few of them are good, sure i only play on hard for guitar and bass, and medium drums...Ah its only a game...

Gonna finish the drums on world tour before getting stuck into RB2, cause i know if i start on RB2 now, i wont go back to WT...

Gonna finish the drums on world tour before getting stuck into RB2, cause i know if i start on RB2 now, i wont go back to WT...

Yep... I have GH:WT and RB2... I've had RB2 for months, but I still never play WT :/

Advertisement