Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maestro woes up the north.

Options
  • 23-11-2008 10:18pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was up the north today and decided to buy a set of speakers from currys.

I went up to pay and handed the cashier my laser (with cirrus/maestro on it) card to pay. I entered my pin as normal, but she then says that they do not accept laser. I explained to her that it was a maestro card but she said they do not accept it. She suggested I go to the atm and pay with cash. As far as we both were concerned no transaction took place. I got no receipt, she got no credit card receipt slip.

So I went to the atm, withdrew the cash amount, went back to the same cashier and paid with cash. I got my receipt and off I went.

On the way home I was checking my bank balance online to find that both the cirrus (banklink) and maestro (laser card) transactions were put through. :(

Currys now have my money and I have no official way to prove that any transaction took place. I have no receipt acknowledging the transaction apart from a line on my bank statement saying MAESTRO TX 58.84.

I am going to ring the currys helpline tomorrow but is it possible for them to issue maestro chargebacks without having the physical card? There is no way im going all the way back up for the sake of €60.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

You can ask your bank to send you the statement as proof of the transaction occuring, and the cash receipt.

It's an odd one so if you do get your refund, deal with a manager to avoid any issues. As for refunds without the physical card, if the system they have in place even allows it, they probably won't do it anyway. It's a little bit dodgy...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

I always though a bank statement is proof of purchase, or is that just with credit cards?

EDIT: Answered in last post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

You call your bank, tell them that charge was unauthorised and show them the cash reciept. Tell them exactly what happened and you should be alright. Happened me in London in May.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You call your bank, tell them that charge was unauthorised and show them the cash reciept. Tell them exactly what happened and you should be alright. Happened me in London in May.
    Did you go back to the shop at all or was it all dealt with via the bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Did you go back to the shop at all or was it all dealt with via the bank?

Told them what happened told them I had proof of alternate payment. Faxed it to them and they cancelled the charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

For Future reference you should ALWAYS get a copy of the Receipt even if the transaction didnt go though which will either say DENIED or VOID.

Shouldn't be a problem op as their required by law to keep a copy of the docket for 6 months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Rang them this morning. They said that even though the money seems to be gone from my account, it hasn't actually been taken and it should be back in the account by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Rang them this morning. They said that even though the money seems to be gone from my account, it hasn't actually been taken and it should be back in the account by the end of the week.
    This happened to my OH the other day; card was authorised but not charged.
    The cash goes back on after a few days usually

Advertisement