Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a shelter for my cat.

Options
  • 23-11-2008 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

We posted a message looking for a permanent home for our little boy-cat a while back but we've had no luck whatsoever finding him a new home. It's come to the time where he has to go, so I'm asking for recommendations for no-kill shelters in the Dublin area.

Of course, I don't want to put him through the stress of homing and re-homing so if there is anybody out there who can offer him a loving home please speak up. He's a healthy, beautiful little cat who would make a wonderful addition to your family. Anybody kind enough to take him into their home would also get his covered litter tray, travel box, litter and whatever else he needs to settle in.

Failing your generosity, please suggest a shelter that will take him in and find him something suitable.

This is a very sad time for my wife and I to be letting go of such a wonderful little cat but we have little choice; he has to go in the next few days.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2972504018_6c0d971ee0.jpg?v=0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Why has it come to the time where he has to go?

Sorry to ask such a blunt and personal question, but is your wife expecting, by any chance? Because despite the common misconception, your wife would be perfectly safe around the cat so long as she wears gloves while cleaning the litter tray, or leaves the litter-cleaning to someone else altogether. Toxoplasmosis is spread by ingesting the cat's poo, so she would have to touch his poo or else something that has touched his poo (say, the side of the litter tray, or the litter scoop) and then touch her mouth with her unwashed hand, in order to be at risk.

My aunt is pregnant and there wasn't even a question of her parting with her cat. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

No, that's not the reason. My wife is hugely allergic to cats and her health has suffered since the cat's been around. Taking the cat in was only ever a temporary measure as he was rescued from the side of the road, starving and in very bad shape. It was our plan to get him back to health and find him a new home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

There is the Dublin SPCA, Mount Venus Road, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16. We went there to get a cat for my dad and the shelter was actually alot nicer than I thought it would be and they seem to be treated very well and they have good results for rehoming animals. I would definetely try there.

Heres their website.

http://www.dspca.ie/

girl24 wrote: »
    There is the Dublin SPCA, Mount Venus Road, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16. We went there to get a cat for my dad and the shelter was actually alot nicer than I thought it would be and they seem to be treated very well and they have good results for rehoming animals. I would definetely try there.

Heres their website.

http://www.dspca.ie/

Thanks very much! I just gave them a call and am awaiting a callback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Ok, I understand. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. I am allergic to cats myself, so I totally understand your wife's need to rehome this cat! I cope with my allergy through constant exposure, but I still can't groom a cat with a brush, or touch my eyes after handling a cat. If I go more than a few days without handling a cat, my symptoms get way worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

OP pm me and I will give you the name of my vet - they frequently re-home cats and have a no kill policy. I can ask them for you if you like..

Hi Lemon, that would be great. Can you post the vets details here so other people reading the thread who are in the same predicament may benefit? If you can't for reasons of privacy, PM will do fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

preilly79 wrote: »
    Thanks very much! I just gave them a call and am awaiting a callback.

So did they call you back, can they take him? He really does look like a little cutie, I hope you get him sorted.

Not yet I'm afraid. I'll let them away with it - I'm sure they're busy at this time of the year! Somebody has PM'd me who might be able to help. Failing that I'll try calling them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

boomerang wrote: »
    Ok, I understand. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. I am allergic to cats myself, so I totally understand your wife's need to rehome this cat! I cope with my allergy through constant exposure, but I still can't groom a cat with a brush, or touch my eyes after handling a cat. If I go more than a few days without handling a cat, my symptoms get way worse.

Hey boomerang

I'm allergic to cats as well - hayfever symptoms and a considerable wheeze plus swelling of any scratches are all side effects for me of cat ownership.

One tip is to take a warm, wet facecloth to your cat once a week. Assuming there's no chance of you actually washing the cat (no soap, just a full body warm water wash) use a facecloth and a basin of warm water. You need to rub against the fur, then rinse and rub with it (if cat will stick around long enough!) It removes a lot of the dander and saliva from the cat's fur - and that's most of what will probably be triggering your allergic reaction.

Persistent exposure does lessen symptoms. I need to make sure I keep the place well hoovered and dusted, but then I can put my face right into my cat's fur and I don't get an allergic reaction any more. I would if I tried it with another cat though, because you just get used to your specific cat(s).

• Advertisement

Hey boomerang

I'm allergic to cats as well - hayfever symptoms and a considerable wheeze plus swelling of any scratches are all side effects for me of cat ownership.

One tip is to take a warm, wet facecloth to your cat once a week. Assuming there's no chance of you actually washing the cat (no soap, just a full body warm water wash) use a facecloth and a basin of warm water. You need to rub against the fur, then rinse and rub with it (if cat will stick around long enough!) It removes a lot of the dander and saliva from the cat's fur - and that's most of what will probably be triggering your allergic reaction.

Persistent exposure does lessen symptoms. I need to make sure I keep the place well hoovered and dusted, but then I can put my face right into my cat's fur and I don't get an allergic reaction any more. I would if I tried it with another cat though, because you just get used to your specific cat(s).

That's some good advice. We're lucky that Cheesecake doesn't mind getting a full bath all that much. The kind of bath deep enough where he gets to splash around a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

That'll definitely help.

You can have a very comfortable life with a housecat if you're allergic, as long as you're strict with yourself. Buy a pet-hair vaccum attachment, and hoover and sweep regularly (more than once a week!). Rub down surfaces where the cat sits with a damp cloth. Never let the cat in your bedroom (I ignore my own advice on this and do occasionally suffer for it, but it helps to put a blanket or towel on the bed that the cats sleep on, and wash that even more regularly than you would change the sheets.)

You may get a sneezes flare-up every once in a while when the cat is going through a seasonal change in itself - every three to four months I have two days or so of readjustment where I'll sneeze a bit.

At the moment, we're rehoming some kittens so I, along with my cat allergy, am living in a house with three adult cats and four 12-week kittens. The kittens are a worse trigger for my allergies, because I'm not adjusted to them yet, but even my reaction to them is a lot less severe than it would be if I went from living with no cats to even visiting a house with seven in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Cheesecake:
    3072668444_14242cb1b0.jpg

Currently unsure of the idea of other cats, definitely not a fan of the dogs that he can hear in the other room but most assuredly firm in the belief that all cat toys were meant for him. Unfortunately the Da Bird did not survive his fearless onslaught and died about 13 seconds after this photo was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Did you adopt cheesecake? ^^ Or am I just very easily confused.:o

(fantastic name BTW :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

hadook wrote: »
    Cheesecake:
    3072668444_14242cb1b0.jpg

Currently unsure of the idea of other cats, definitely not a fan of the dogs that he can hear in the other room but most assuredly firm in the belief that all cat toys were meant for him. Unfortunately the Da Bird did not survive his fearless onslaught and died about 13 seconds after this photo was taken.

That's our boy! He decimated just about every fluffy thing we put in front of him when he was with us.

Hadook's done a wonderful thing and taken Cheesecake home with her. We miss him terribly, but that's really just a sign of what a great little man he is! He's been an only-cat for far too long, it's about time he learns how to play with others!:D

Thanks a million, we're so happy he's in a great place!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Oh Bridget I am so delighted this has had a happy ending. Well done to the pair of ye for taking him in and looking after him so well in the first place.

Hadook, hope you have years of happiness with him, he looks like a great little kitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Cheesecake, Day 6:

Support staff were late home last night (something about a Christmas party though I don't remember giving them permission to go out?) and also slept in this morning (Note: May need to start disciplinary proceedings, this is most disappointing and I suspect they may not last the full probationary period). They did at least remember to run the tap for me for several minutes so I could perform my daily ablutions. I spent the afternoon catching up on my beauty sleep in the sock drawer - my new favourite place to snooze.

Met the canine slaves this evening. Do not trust them, especially the big one (suspect it's on growth hormones - that's just not natural), but then I spotted some small funny looking rodent things in a large glass container of some sort and became distracted. Despite spending a significant amount of time at it I cannot figure out how to get lid off and suspect the Moving Dinner container is broken (Note: Escalate this issue with the support staff. Also - need to bill for my time). Briefly met the other cats but they were also trying to open the Moving Dinner container so we just exchanged names.

Thoroughly enjoyed the new cat food produced for my dining pleasure later. It's called Applaws and is far better than the other substandard dry food the human has been feeding me. I have proclaimed that it will do, though I would still prefer one of those rodents...

Off to snooze for a while now in front of the fire. Will report in later.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AlonsoX

I didnt notice this thread before but a friend of mine in Ballyfermot is looking for a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Haha thanks Hadook nice to hear cheesecake is ruling the roost:)
    It's great to see a story such as this conclude with a happy ending.
    I read the original thread where cheescake was found and looked after by such generous and caring people. It's so nice to see people like this in the world. Makes me stop and smile and realise it may not be such a terrible place ater all with the random acts of kindness:)

Well done to everyone involved and I hope cheesecake is happy in the lovely lucky new home :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

Whee!

Lovely to see the little guy is taking up journaling following the move!:D

It's only a matter of time till he organizes a team of furry, be-clawed operatives to run reconnaissance on the Moving Dinner box. Cheese has that dangerous sort of charisma one often sees in revolutionaries, dictators and devastatingly handsome cats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement