Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steve Mazzagatti

Options
  • 24-11-2008 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Is there a question of Steve's competence as a ref ? There's the camp who think he was wrong in his decision to stop the Lesnar/Mir fight and restart and I was just watching Frank Edgar v Tyson Griffin. Griffin took a shot to the groin and Mazzagatti said continue and didn't stop the fight , even though Griffin backed away and seemd to be in pain/discomfort.

Has he any other questionable calls ?

Comments

He seems to let guys take more shots than other refs before stopping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I actually wondered why Mazagatti reffed the big one and not Herb Dean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

There's something about Mazzagati I don't like. I think he's the only referee I've ever questioned the motives of when he deducted a point off Lesnar.
    I was half expecting Mazzagati to wait for Lesnar to turn his back and hit him with a steal chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Lets call a spade a spade, he is a brutal ref.

Ha. Thats harsh. Ref's have feelings aswell you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

might as well call him earl hepner :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I actually wondered why Mazagatti reffed the big one and not Herb Dean.

Do you mean Lesnar/Couture? Mario Yamasaki reffed that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Lets call a spade a spade, he is a brutal ref.

This was just a thought I was throwing out there to see if it stuck.
    I was watching taht Edgar/Griffin fight tonight and Roegan commented on Mazzagatti not stopping the fight after the low blow. It was an odd call.

Can you list any other matches where his judgment was suspect ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Everyone makes mistakes, I wouldnt consider him the worst ref in the UFC, but hs is no Big John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

what about yamasaki waiting till lesnar grabbed the cage 4 times before warning him against couture? for me all four where obvious. not that it would've changed the outcome but just seemed odd they wheren't called.

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    Do you mean Lesnar/Couture? Mario Yamasaki reffed that

Christ, i'm not very good at this forum stuff in recent days! :rolleyes:

what about yamasaki waiting till lesnar grabbed the cage 4 times before warning him against couture? for me all four where obvious. not that it would've changed the outcome but just seemed odd they wheren't called.

To his credit, he was consistant both ways. He waited about 10-12 seconds before calling the bell for Couture when he obviously couldn't defend himself at the end of the fight. I'm guessing a little more leeway is given for a heavyweight title fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

They dont call him Mario "Finish him" Yamasaki for nothing!

He's Finnish ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Well Brock thinks so.
    According to an article on Sherdog.com, Brock Lesnars lawyers had made a request to the NSAC to have referee Steve Mazzagatti removed from the list of potential referees that would oversee Lesnar's UFC 91 title fight against Randy Couture.

Citing Mazzagatti’s officiating in Lesnar’s UFC debut against Frank Mir in February, attorneys David Olsen and Brian Stegeman made their aversion to the referee’s presence known at a regularly scheduled NSAC meeting. The attorneys claimed Mazzagatti was “involved in what we believe was a controversial ruling in connection with the Mir-Lesnar fight.” They asked that Mazzagatti be removed from consideration for the UFC 91 main event to avoid “distraction” and “any further controversy.”

Understandable if they feel that way but Lesnar is not bigger than the NSAC. For those wondering Mario Yamasaki will be the ref in the match up

He's not the fighters favorite reff by any means.

Yeah I read that before. That's one of the reasons why I was thinking there was something dodgy or controversial about him.

That shot to the groin in the fight I mentioned just really really bugged me. The guy was whincing in pain and backed off and Steve says "continue".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

Ya but noone can start a fight quite like Mazzagatti.

Lets go, get it on!!!

Wasn't Karo Parisyan mad about Mazagatti's stopage in the Thiago Alves fight?

Personaly I saw nothing wrong with it if I remember correctly.

I think you're talking about Randy's takedown attempt on Brock up against the cage?? If you watch it again look outside the cage and you see Randy's corner men screaming at the ref that he's holding the fence and it looks like he only warns Brock after its pointed out to him.

So poor refereeing whatever way we look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

There are more dodgy ref calls in MMA than most would care to mention.

However, they have got a really tough job in there. They have nano-seconds to make a decision. Add to this the fact that for every 1 poor decision (Dan Marigliotta springs to mind) there are 100 good decisions made (BJM)

• Advertisement

RNCFAN wrote: »
    There are more dodgy ref calls in MMA than most would care to mention.

However, they have got a really tough job in there. They have nano-seconds to make a decision. Add to this the fact that for every 1 poor decision (Dan Marigliotta springs to mind) there are 100 good decisions made (BJM)

True, bit there are a fe doubts over Mazzagati's reffereeing in general.

He tends to react slower than others.
    When there's a split second decision to be made, he often blinks and lisses it.
    Like the Griffin low blow, or Lesnar holding onto the cage, or Randy getting pounded into insensablity before it was stopped.

He has a rep for delaying a bit and occasionaly not making the decision at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Was it Mazzagatti who reffed the Gonzaga fight last time round? When Gonzaga knocked his opponent to the ground, he landed another heavy punch when he was lying on the ground. Then Gonzaga looked at the ref, because the guy was in a bad way and almost indefensible at this stage. The ref did nothing, and Gonzaga almost reluctantly hit him again, then the ref called it.

Thought it was a disgrace myself, and things like that should be punished heavily.

Fizman wrote: »
    Was it Mazzagatti who reffed the Gonzaga fight last time round? When Gonzaga knocked his opponent to the ground, he landed another heavy punch when he was lying on the ground. Then Gonzaga looked at the ref, because the guy was in a bad way and almost indefensible at this stage. The ref did nothing, and Gonzaga almost reluctantly hit him again, then the ref called it.

Thought it was a disgrace myself, and things like that should be punished heavily.

But heres the thing, if he calls it at that then you have internet'ers saying it was called prematurely - if he lets it go then you have the internet'ers saying it was a late stoppage.

Refs can't win, in that respect.

RNCFAN wrote: »
    But heres the thing, if he calls it at that then you have internet'ers saying it was called prematurely - if he lets it go then you have the internet'ers saying it was a late stoppage.

Refs can't win, in that respect.

Steve's never been known for stopping fights early, or making premature judgement decisions.
    He only steps in after somethings gone on for a while.

(The only exception I can think of is the Lesnar Mir fight).

Still don't think he's a bad reff or anything, just that there're better.

Steve's never been known for stopping fights early, or making premature judgement decisions.
    He only steps in after somethings gone on for a while.

(The only exception I can think of is the Lesnar Mir fight).

Still don't think he's a bad reff or anything, just that there're better.

That's what I saying - if A referee stops a fight on time/early he gets berated for an early stoppage if he lets it go on he has people calling Late stoppage.

Marigliotta (sp) is the only ref that makes me worry if I am see his officiating a fight I'm looking forward too.

Advertisement