Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda vs Integra

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

TheNog wrote: »
    Well people it would appear to me that ye are shocked by the level of driving from the patrol cars and I suppose if ye had never seen it before then I wouldn't really blame ye.

Thing is this kind of high speed chase is common throughout the country from Dublin to Meath to Offaly to Cork so there is really no need to be shocked at all. Yes it is dangerous for us and for the public but the reality is in this video if an innocent driver or pediastrian was crossing the road in front of the patrol cars, then the Garda driver would probably have put his car into a wall or a tree or whatever to prevent the innocent person being injured. When we say do a dangerous job we mean it and this is just a small visual aid to show ye.

End of the day that driver had to be stopped but not stopped at any cost. Risks were taken but they were calculated risks which worked out well. If memory serves me correctly over all the years and all the chases there has not been a fatality associated with a chase since two Gardai crashed and killed in their unmarked car in North Dublin back in the 1990's.

This is one of the most intelligent posts on this topic!

I have a major problem with those on here who see something like this and immediately jump on the "criticise the Gardai" bandwagon :confused:

The Gardai are trained to drive at these kinds of speeds
    I would be fairly confident that they wouldn't have chased this guy/gal around the estate in such large numbers if it wasn't for something SERIOUS
    As The Nog Says if a pedestrian had walked out in front of one of the squads the Gardai would swerve to avoid and crash rather than run over an innocent civilian which is probably more than can be said for the Integra driver!

Also, the fact that an arrest was made kinda shows that the Gardai knew what they were doing doesn't it?? :confused:

Last but not least, a tiny little observation which no one here has made so far, it was the driver of the Integra who chose to drive through a residential estate to escape the Gardai it wasn't like the Gardai said to themselves "ah lads i'm bored... lets go for a high speed chase through a housing estate for a laugh"

The ones who complain loudest would be the first ones to whinge and moan if their car got stolen and the Gardai didn't do everything possible to recover the vehicle

And for the record i'm a civilian not a Garda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i'm not shocked at all by the Garda driving, I'm from the same place the Garda learn to drive in the first place, A speeding Mondeo is nothing new to me......i'm a bit annoyed at the Integra driver for giving us Jap drivers a bad reputation....I hope they locked away the little toe rag....

dm goes off to get a bucket of paint.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpHN9diNE64

The greatest garda, if not world chase of all time, Santry circa 1998.
    Good down to earth policing:p, and the criminal gets his comeupence in the end, go on the guards...

Thats fookin SAS stuff lads, what a hero...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

donvito99 wrote: »

Good down to earth policing:p, and the criminal gets his comeupence in the end, go on the guards...

Is that Santry? I don't know the area well enough to say. The date on the video says 02 but the caption says 98. Something a bit fishy about the whole thing.

Didnt see that, sorry. Video is cool though. Its the only garda chase footage from the actual vehicle that I know of, so it is rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

nevf wrote: »
    In Order of Malta/Mountain Rescue - it's operational command unit... <snip>...

Not in MR it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Me dont thinks thats Ireland. The reg plate on the truck looks nothing like an Irish EU reg plates we use nor does it look british.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

.....If memory serves me correctly over all the years and all the chases there has not been a fatality associated with a chase since two Gardai crashed and killed in their unmarked car in North Dublin back in the 1990's.

2002, Garda Tighe and Padden in a collision with a stolen vehicle on the Stillorgan dual carriageway.

Rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Didnt see that, sorry. Video is cool though. Its the only garda chase footage from the actual vehicle that I know of, so it is rare.

Yeah that's Santry alright!

Garda driving in the first video post was grand, possibly could have thrown a power slide in for effect and extra points. The sirens were on so people know they're coming.

There's a limit to how safe they can drive if they want to actually catch anybody. I'd hope they are all trained if they're going to be in car chases, I have seen some crap Garda drivers before (and some very good ones to be fair).

One time I seen 4 Garda bikes taking a right from a red light. They all took off at the same time (2 rows of 2) and the one on the front left dropped the bike mid turn. They all stopped and it turned out it was a woman who dropped it and the other guy who was probably in charge went mad at her calling her a stupid this and that! It was fairly funny to see!

• Advertisement

Me dont thinks thats Ireland. The reg plate on the truck looks nothing like an Irish EU reg plates we use nor does it look british.

The pickups reg could be an old one, road markings are similar, they drive on the left, that narrows it down to Ireland and Great Britain, and at that time I would have thought that Britain had marked ARVs, open to correction from Metman/Jon Anderton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

javaboy wrote: »
    Is that Santry? I don't know the area well enough to say. The date on the video says 02 but the caption says 98. Something a bit fishy about the whole thing.

Its the corner of Elm mount drive & Elm mount road in Beaumont..

And IMO, mondeos are very good cars, better than Vectras (disaster), quicker than an Avensis, more space than an Astra, better handling that a Zafira. I'm staying with the affordable range here, not the evos, imprezas etc. And it would be pretty good to buy a couple o' retired interceptors from the Brits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

That video is no more from ireland. It is not a Garda video.

These however are

Plenty more on youtbue to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Chief--- wrote: »
    That video is no more from ireland. It is not a Garda video. These however are

Clear evidence that carpet-bombing is a viable alternative to community policing in some areas! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Why was the helicopter not deployed, or was it?

Far to many cars in pursuit & way to dangerous, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

That Santry vid is quite obviously not Ireland lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Why was the helicopter not deployed, or was it?

Far to many cars in pursuit & way to dangerous, in my opinion.
    The helicopter's useless on speed bumps.

What, 7 cars being dangerous? I honestly don't see how..

eroo wrote: »
    What, 7 cars being dangerous? I honestly don't see how..

ahh, small children, lots of parked cars......it's got all the makings of a great TV commercial.....seriously, speeding aound an estate is completly reckless...fine nobody got hurt this time but the game dosen't always play out the same regardless of what training you've had....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

ahh, small children, lots of parked cars......it's got all the makings of a great TV commercial.....seriously, speeding aound an estate is completly reckless...fine nobody got hurt this time but the game dosen't always play out the same regardless of what training you've had....
    Yeah, you're right. I hope they caught that integra driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

That Santry vid is quite obviously not Ireland lads!!

I have my doubts it's even real.

deadwood wrote: »
    I hope they caught that integra driver.

just ouside of france...

It's already been stated that the Gardai wouldn't have pursued the car through an estate unless it was considered necessary. Otherwise, I'd imagine they wouldn't have pursued. Also, the driver of the Integra didn't seem to care about the fact he could have caused countless deaths.

EDIT:Oh, wait a minute..
    Much like they do to me when I pass them in my Subaru, tbh i've given up stopping for them, I just put the foot down these days and pray to god they dont cath my reg before I get round the next corner....

You cannot, in any way, make a comment about dangerous driving my friend..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheNog
    .....If memory serves me correctly over all the years and all the chases there has not been a fatality associated with a chase since two Gardai crashed and killed in their unmarked car in North Dublin back in the 1990's.

http://soapboxireland.blogspot.com/2008/08/ombudsman-re-opens-case-of-pensioner.html

The Sunday Tribune understands the GSOC is investigating new information alleging serious garda misconduct in relation to the incident which is not yet in the public domain. The probe is underway, although it has yet to be formally announced.

Mary Seavers (74), from Goatstown in Dublin, died after being hit by a garda car at a bus stop in Clonskeagh in Dublin in May 2005.

Her son David Seavers told the Sunday Tribune: "The family welcomes the GSOC inquiry, but as it may lead to disciplinary and or criminal charges, which could be sub judice, we will not be commenting further at this time."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

End of the day that driver had to be stopped but not stopped at any cost. Risks were taken but they were calculated risks which worked out well. If memory serves me correctly over all the years and all the chases there has not been a fatality associated with a chase since two Gardai crashed and killed in their unmarked car in North Dublin back in the 1990's.

Its often the car that is being chased that does the damage, drunk/drugged up scum who do not care what damage they do.
    There was a guard from donnybrook killed on the n11,by a stolen mx5 I think.

Because of this many police forces are banning high speed chases as the risk of serious injury outweighs the benefits of catching these idiots.

I personally saw an innocent woman left paralysed after being hit by a stolen car that was being chased.
    It must be very difficult for law enforcement to make the decision to stop a persuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Traumadoc wrote: »
    There was a guard from donnybrook killed on the n11,by a stolen mx5 I think.

Two members were killed while manning a junction to prevent motorists entering the path of the mx5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That "santry" video is awesome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was crossing the road by the epicurean in abbey street one bank holiday weekend when some nutjobs nearly hit me by trying to swerve round the corner (from the wrong direction) down to the halfpenny bridge. he banged on the breaks at the last minute and stopped right in front of me, I hopped out of the way and he shot past, I actually chased after him thinking he'd have to stop at the lights when a garda car screamed past. The muppets were actually chasing the other muppets though the city centre in the middle of the day on a bank holiday weekend. Nearly got me run over, which i take personally.

So yeah, balls to the gardais' better judgment in these matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

dingding wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheNog

http://soapboxireland.blogspot.com/2008/08/ombudsman-re-opens-case-of-pensioner.html

The Sunday Tribune understands the GSOC is investigating new information alleging serious garda misconduct in relation to the incident which is not yet in the public domain. The probe is underway, although it has yet to be formally announced.

Mary Seavers (74), from Goatstown in Dublin, died after being hit by a garda car at a bus stop in Clonskeagh in Dublin in May 2005.

Her son David Seavers told the Sunday Tribune: "The family welcomes the GSOC inquiry, but as it may lead to disciplinary and or criminal charges, which could be sub judice, we will not be commenting further at this time."

In relation to the above fatality this was not part of a chase, the patrol car in question was travelling to a call not in pursuit of other vehicle.

Bambi wrote: »
    I was crossing the road by the epicurean in abbey street one bank holiday weekend when some nutjobs nearly hit me by trying to swerve round the corner (from the wrong direction) down to the halfpenny bridge. he banged on the breaks at the last minute and stopped right in front of me, I hopped out of the way and he shot past, I actually chased after him thinking he'd have to stop at the lights when a garda car screamed past. The muppets were actually chasing the other muppets though the city centre in the middle of the day on a bank holiday weekend. Nearly f****ing got me run over, which i take personally.

Therein lies the problem!

• Advertisement

Therein lies the problem!

I think you misunderstand, read again :pac:

the scummer muppets being chased by bodie and doyle nearly ran me over, I didn't go running up the middle of the road in front of a garda car :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I was crossing the road by the epicurean in abbey street one bank holiday weekend when some nutjobs nearly hit me by trying to swerve round the corner (from the wrong direction) down to the halfpenny bridge. he banged on the breaks at the last minute and stopped right in front of me, I hopped out of the way and he shot past, I actually chased after him thinking he'd have to stop at the lights when a garda car screamed past. The muppets were actually chasing the other muppets though the city centre in the middle of the day on a bank holiday weekend. Nearly got me run over, which i take personally.

I say balls to your hearing. Did ye not hear the sirens?

Nope and neither did anyone else, because there were none when yer man turned the corner. I can remember a load of :eek::eek::eek: staring at me when i was like a rabbit on the road.

Nope and neither did anyone else, because there were none when yer man turned the corner. I can remember a load of :eek::eek::eek: staring at me when i was like a rabbit on the road.

So you were out on the road then?;)

Btw, it isn't exactly wise to catch up with someone at traffic lights. Get their reg, as imo, you don't know who you could be dealing with!

So you were out on the road then?;)

Btw, it isn't exactly wise to catch up with someone at traffic lights. Get their reg, as imo, you don't know who you could be dealing with!

It's hard to cross the road without being on it isnt it? Keep the columbo impressions for the day job dere :)

Yep you're right it is dangerous and that occurred to me a few seconds later..like a dog chasing a bus

I can think of one guy in america who ran after some fella that stole his car and was shot when he caught up with him at the lights :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

imo a poor effort on the gards.. 25 cars used for one single car? think how the resources could've been better used. Perhaps 8 cars max should've been used

Well if there was no sirens and you did not hear any screeching of tyres or a racing engine then we can come to the logical conclusion the car had literally just took off from the patrol car when you stepped out on the road. Not the fault of the Gardai then I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

So anyone actually know what he/she did?

And why so many cars chasing them? Surely 3 at most would be able to keep up with him? Basically follow him until he stops/breaks down/crashes whilst relaying his position etc

congo_90 wrote: »
    imo a poor effort on the gards.. 25 cars used for one single car? think how the resources could've been better used. Perhaps 8 cars max should've been used

No the more cars the better tbh so if an opportunity arises to block the pursued car, it can be taken. The problem is that no gardai would have known where the guy was heading to at the time of the chase.

• Advertisement

Well if there was no sirens and you did not hear any screeching of tyres or a racing engine then we can come to the logical conclusion the car had literally just took off from the patrol car when you stepped out on the road. Not the fault of the Gardai then I'm afraid.

*sigh* guessed this was coming

So you know what happened better than i did? Were you a bystander?

Didn't think so.

You cannot, in any way, make a comment about dangerous driving my friend..:rolleyes:

it dosen't count as dd, nobody saw me and nobody was injured (it's like it never happend;)), the mondeo was half way through a 360, that was the last thing I saw in the rear view mirror (I don't know if he even came after me:rolleyes:), for the record I wasn't speeding or dd when I saw the garda car but he was, I'm guessing he got a call about a white car again and mistook me for the 2 youngfellas that just blew by me in the civic's.....there was no way I was hanging around to take the heat for those boyracers.....Your Honour!

I agree with you totally about the integra driver...I don't agree with 7 mondeos chasing an integra around a residential area....it's to dangerous, stop chasing him, block his exits...get the chopper....ask the residents..but don't put peoples lives in danger if it's not a matter of life or death....the same goes for the open roads....

tbh, if I was the Garda I wouldn't have done it any different....i'd say it was good crack in the pub afterwards....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

i think we shud start a big petition to have all the gardai sacked and let people run wild doing what they want when they want....im tired of listening to people moaning about "muppet" gardai so the best thing to do is just get rid of them.....then when your house is being broken into or your car has been stolen there'll be no cause for people to complain.....better see if my pension in secured before i start this petition.......

I say balls to your hearing. Did ye not hear the sirens?

brilliant:D

Didn't think so.

im not sure you know what happened....all im reading is a rant cause some joyriders nearly knocked u down....hardly the fault of the gardaí.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

No the more cars the better tbh so if an opportunity arises to block the pursued car, it can be taken. The problem is that no gardai would have known where the guy was heading to at the time of the chase.

3 even 2 garda cars in a narrow estate could block them off while a third hangs back or takes alternative routes from info from other two to block off the offender. It isnt that hard in fairness (not flaming)

• Advertisement

Didn't think so.

I'm not having a go at you but just trying to understand where you are coming from.

No I was not there but from reading your post describing what happened, you don't mention hearing an approaching car. The car being pursued would have been quite audible even over other traffic.

flyton5 wrote: »
    let people run wild doing what they want when they want....

What's the first 3 things you'd do if you were let loose? I'd probably have a celebration beer:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

congo_90 wrote: »
    3 even 2 garda cars in a narrow estate could block them off while a third hangs back or takes alternative routes from info from other two to block off the offender. It isnt that hard in fairness (not flaming)

Those 2 or 3 cars have to get in front of the offender first though, no? So again it comes back to the Gardai not knowing where the Integra is heading.

I know in my own estate, it would take about 30 Garda cars to use the approach you're suggesting. And that's assuming they knew the offender was gonna go into my estate in the first place.

Tbh they wouldn't resort to occasional high speed chases if they thought there was another safer easier way of handling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dredre

I'm not having a go at you but just trying to understand where you are coming from.

No I was not there but from reading your post describing what happened, you don't mention hearing an approaching car. The car being pursued would have been quite audible even over other traffic.

unless perhaps the person was elderly or deaf. lights and sirens do not confer safety, they help. 25 cars for one chase is ridiculous whatever way you slice it. i know of guards who will stay on after their shift if there is 'something good happening, like a chase'. its easy to get caught up in the adrenaline rush of a high speed pursuit.

What's the first 3 things you'd do if you were let loose? I'd probably have a celebration beer:)

u'd probably get as far as buying the beer before being attacked by gangs of roving youths celebrating....then u'd have no-one to report it to...so u'd have to go home and drink a sorrowful cup of tea...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement