Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart or BT in Galway?

Options
  • 24-11-2008 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Right.

I've narrowed my decision down to either Smart or BT business for DSL.
    What I'm wondering are peoples experiences with both in the Galway area, preferably the Shantalla exchange.

The connection will be used as part of a free wifi captive portal and some other business use. I'm just wondering what Quoted speed vs actual speeds and contention are like with both providers.

Any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Smart sync at a higher speed than quoted to allow for protocol overhead so that you get to use all the bandwidth you pay for (providing your line can handle it of course)

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

If you PM me your number I will be able to give you a rough idea of what your line can handle....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT have never troubled Galwegians with their up to 24mbit product line . It is offered in ( mainly) Dublin Cork and Limerick only . Nor is there any indication from BT as to exactly when they may bother Galwegians with this product .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Go with Smart. No contention, no cap, no bullsht from BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

Go with Smart...they are just hassel free and provide probably one of the best broadband services in Ireland.

They are way ahead of BT, if you can get them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Another vote for Smart. Haven't experience BT. But with Smart for over 3 years with maybe a total down time for me of 6-8 hours in that 3 year period.

Also never had any serious problems with speeds or quality. And the one time I did, it was sorted in minutes on their online forums by one of their tech supports that work through the forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Doodee wrote: »
    Right.

I've narrowed my decision down to either Smart or BT business for DSL.
    What I'm wondering are peoples experiences with both in the Galway area, preferably the Shantalla exchange.

The connection will be used as part of a free wifi captive portal and some other business use. I'm just wondering what Quoted speed vs actual speeds and contention are like with both providers.

Any experiences?

Go with Smart. BT MAY be ok service wise but their billing department will break your heart and im speaking from experience on that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

I've been with Smart since almost the begining. No problems ever. I 'm on 6MB for 45 euro per month. I can't speak for BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I can recommend Smart too.Unfortunately i had a bad line from the Shantalla exchange and i only live up the rd.At the time i wanted to upgrade to 2 megs and a Smart engineer checked the line and said my line was only capable of 3 megs.I would suggest you ring them and get them to do tests on what your line is capable of first. It only took an hour before they rang me back.Hopefully you will be ok.Any way let us know how you get on. The first
    3 months of broadband are free with them. :)
    http://smarttelecom.ie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kudzRS

Smarts contention is 1:1 , the speed you apply for is the speed you will get and no download limits ( unlike other fair usage policies there are none with Smart as you are not line sharing )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Fair use applies to the cap, not the contention. Smart have a fair use limit on their unlimited usage, but it's yet to be discovered what that limit is. They do have no contention though, which means you should get the full speed, regardless of what others are doing, whereas with other ISPs, you can get a reduced speed, depending on number of users.

Advertisement