Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather on tv

Options
  • 24-11-2008 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭

i thought some of you might be interested to know there is a programme on RTE 1 right now about meteorology

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Looking at it now

Edit: Programme on last night on Nat Geo about the big freeze.
    It was talking about the Ocean currents or the conveyor in particular NAC (failing) leading to the cooling affect noticed on this island.

Scientists/Oceanographers have discovered a marked increase of fresh water released into the N Atlantic in the Labrador Current off the coast of Canada/Greenland which is disrupting the salinity already in the Atlantic.

They mentioned the process is already underway of the conveyor slowing. So far Prof Ray Bates on this prog has not mentioned this and has indicated the trend of increase rainfall over the next 100yrs. I think been on this island we will be the first to expect a noticable cooling trend instead of warming.
    Alarming?
    Debatable?
    Who knows but it seems on both sides of the Atlantic the info/evidence is conflicting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

This prog was more about 'Climate change' and the word 'Global warming' was not used once and after all those years (decades) listening about GW, i think should be finally be put to bed at this stage. New super computers should forecast the climate within a 1km resolution and should pinpoint where rainfall exactly will be distributed within that 1km area and intensity within 20yrs which was mentioned.

Ok good stuff, but is Climate change already occurring, imo yes and has been for the last few years globally in this 'warming phase' the earth has undertaken in the last 25yrs but i reckon in the last 3 yrs rainfall has certainly increased here but the warming has ceased rising and maybe the Earth is cooling again? Just look around the world at odd weather in odd places. Linked, unknown as yet but getting more regular.

The gulf stream which is apart of the conveyor we rely on for warmth in NW Europe might be actually slowing. It had stopped a few years ago it was reported.

I think the bigger picture is maybe being overlooked this time round as like the mid 70s they predicted the Earth to get much colder but in fact the opposite occurred. This time we are relying on super computers to tell us in 20yrs time that the next severe cold stage in the interglacial cycle has already begun but we have not noticed or ignored the data being released from this present time.

Is it too late to prepare for the future, will this computer be pointless being too late to predict or will any affect take place in 50, 100 or maybe in just 5 yrs time from now. Unknown territory it is likely we are facing but i think gradually this cooling trend will crop up more and more in the near future. Imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This time on radio, Morning Ireland this morning, last 15 minutes.
    Should be available in a while
    Linky

Didn't hear who was speaking, but global warming mentioned plenty of times

Advertisement