Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience

• 24-11-2008 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

So I just finished my time recently & I am now on short time waiting to find out what the crack is with my company but I started to think I have very little experience when it comes to the trade, I can wire a house & do any kind of circuit required, tray, trucking & Conduit(Not Fast at Conduit) but I feel like I dont know enough, I got all credits in phase 6 but I think The tech aspect of our trade is easy enough and has little to no use in on the job, apart from the maths you learn in phase 2.

When did you guys get your main experience as sparks. Also recommend good companies where I could possibly get into different fields of our trade because I am keen on knowing it all. I signed up for a Industrial Automation Course with FAS recently & I am waiting to go on that. It meant to be a step up from PLC's & so on according to FAS.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I started to think I have very little experience when it comes to the trade

I think it is good that you dont think you know it all!

TBH most people feel like that when they finish an apprentiship. I sure did! For me everyday is a school day.
    Several electricians said to me that you really start to learn the day you finish serving your time. If I look back I think they were right.
    I signed up for a Industrial Automation Course with FAS recently
    It is always good to upskill. You are dead right. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Yeah good man signing up for the Automation course.
    Whats really important at the moment is job security so doing extra courses will give you better prospects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Nuravictus wrote: »
    I signed up for a Industrial Automation Course with FAS recently & I am waiting to go on that. It meant to be a step up from PLC's & so on according to FAS.

I did a fulltime 13 month FAS class in this some years ago, it was very good, but it could have been crappy and easy if I just sat through it, I found with some FAS instructors that some did their best to give me new stuff to help develop my skills, some were just interested in following a plan, and others were fairly bad TBH (like most places i guess). On the whole it was good, but pushing yourslef to get the most of the time there is important IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Stoner wrote: »
    I did a fulltime 13 month FAS class in this some years ago, it was very good, but it could have been crappy and easy if I just sat through it, I found with some FAS instructors that some did their best to give me new stuff to help develop my skills, some were just interested in following a plan, and others were fairly bad TBH (like most places i guess). On the whole it was good, but pushing yourslef to get the most of the time there is important IMHO.

Yea its a 12 month fulltime course. Was it good & did it make you a better sparks over all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

it was good, it was more for a technician really, but at the time there were city and guilds certs, 6 i think for electronic control, PLC Control, pneumatics, pneumatic control, fluid power, electronics some sort of cert for working on motors etc.

I got stuck into the PLCs and was let do a lot of my old thing as the theory and electrical side of things were all things I had completed before so i just did the exams, It can be difficult to sit through classes on stuff that you've done before, new stuff is always easier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement