Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed V Alcohol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I prefer alcohol purely on the energy you get from it. Ever have a night where you have some drinks and are hyper chatting to people and having fun. You never get that from weed. Saying that some good mellow chronic and music/film/chat is wicked. Still booze for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

alcohol > weed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

vinylmesh wrote: »
    caffeine= 0.4
    alcohol = 1
    weed= 1.8
    weed + caffeine= 1.8 (no synergy between the 2)
    alcohol + caffeine = 2 (so much better than either drug on it's own).

alcohol + caffeine + weed = 2.5 **** yeah :p!

LOL I agree wholeheartedly. Whiskey + coke gives you alchol & caffeine, then retreat to the beergarden for cheeky bowlage and stupid grins all night long! :) I prefer Weed on a daily basis & alcohol at the weekends. I like having a social drink & even though you do be totally fooked for a day or two after, I still love the mad booze sessions that go on for hours with madness taking place & hazy memories being all you have at the end of it. I also love combining the two; my favourite way to relax (I only do this once every few months) is to flake in a roasting hot bath with a glass of nice brandy & a pipe or bong of decent green with some good reggae blasting out. Just melt in the bath until it gets cold, then have a shower, and bail out to the telly for much non-movement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

But I see it no more harmful than alcohol, when taken in moderation...
    Most people who smoke chuff usually don't stop at one but sit around all day or night smoking and staring into space having convoluted conversations which they think are really enlightened but to someone listening who is not stoned is absolute drivel.

I have seen first hand how it dramatically changes peoples personalities. Sure alcohol can turn people into obnoxious and sometimes violent morons but it doesn't usually bring on severe psychosis or schizophrenia in the way that sess does which can have long term implications for mental health

All this weed is harmless rhetoric is completely misinformed. The evidence is in that it certainly isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

dSTAR wrote: »
    Most people who smoke chuff usually don't stop at one but sit around all day or night smoking and staring into space having convoluted conversations which they think are really enlightened but to someone listening who is not stoned is absolute drivel.

I have seen first hand how it dramatically changes peoples personalities. Sure alcohol can turn people into obnoxious and sometimes violent morons but it doesn't usually bring on severe psychosis or schizophrenia in the way that sess does which can have long term implications for mental health

All this weed is harmless rhetoric is completely misinformed. The evidence is in that it certainly isn't the case.

I have to completly disagree with you...

I think you will find that with alcohol abuse you see severe psychosis not to mention violent behaviour. Ever walk through town on a Fri/Sat night?
    All you will see is drunken gob****es fighting & puking all over the streets! Then we should also mention the facts that the A&E & Police Stations are packed every weekend with alcohol related issues!!

Personally I have never seen anybody fighting, puking or crying in the corner after a spliff! (I've had a few in my time)

I guess it all depends on what & who you smoke with! The hash in this country is absolutely disgusting compared to holland.

If this country had any cop on they would regulate weed in Ireland like they do in Holland and make the millions in tax revenue each year that we so desperately need!

I personally find it funny how people can judge others for smoking weed and then go and enjoy their "legal" drugs be it alcohol, cigarettes or pills.

Do you not think it's time we were left to make our own decisions! If people want to smoke weed, they will smoke weed!
    Might as well regulate it! This way we separate the hard core drugs from the softer, create jobs (coffeshops) millions in tax revenue & tourism....

Not in my lifetime though :(

• Advertisement

Are you saying the conversations of the drunk are anything other than pointless drivel? what an inane comparison you have just made. Have you actually had a conversation with a drunk person when you were sober? Cue them standing far too close to you, spitting on you as they talk (inadvertently), breathing noxious alcohol breath on you.Also that's fairly off topic - the OP just want's peoples preferences, this isn't a "should weed be legal" thread, it's a "which do you prefer" thread. You stated neither although its obvious alcohol is your choice. Severe psychosis & schizophrenia? the only people I know who have suffered from that had it from birth, bar the fellow I know of who managed to damage himself with LSD. I don't know of a single person who suffered any adverse reaction to marijuana & I have a fairly wide circle of waster friends. Of course my mates do not evidence provide, but neither does your pointless reactionary rant against marijuana. Any medical info I have seen says that "marijuana CAN cause psychosis but in the VAST MAJORITY of users it practically never does". That reads CAN but DOESN'T. Try backing up your ridiculous claims with some sort of evidence eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well I think it's time this whole alcohol weed thing was settled once and for all. And this thread is the place for it to happen.

If we really crack at it lads and make some really good points I think we'll have some definite answers by lunch time.

(Or we could just bicker back and forth based on personal experience anecdotal evidence and contradictory research reports and the inevitable links to Bill Hicks on Youtube :rolleyes:)

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Well I think it's time this whole alcohol weed thing was settled once and for all. And this thread is the place for it to happen.

If we really crack at it lads and make some really good points I think we'll have some definite answers by lunch time.

(Or we could just bicker back and forth based on personal experience anecdotal evidence and contradictory research reports and the inevitable links to Bill Hicks on Youtube :rolleyes:)

seconded. Although this thread really is just about peoples preferences and makes no queries with regards to legality or anything else. For the record I prefer the weed but I think the two have their place and combined they sure knock u out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Nothing better than sparking up a spliff at the end of the day in front of the telly, though good weed is hard to come by where I live, the soapbar is ridiculously bad that I would never buy any of it ever again.

Most of my mates would be big drinkers though, as would myself I suppose so we go out on a very regular basis but I would rather stay in and get stoned but hardly any of them would be up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

exiot wrote: »
    Nothing better than sparking up a spliff at the end of the day in front of the telly, though good weed is hard to come by where I live, the soapbar is ridiculously bad that I would never buy any of it ever again.

Everyone refuse to buy or sell hash and insist on weed only- problem solved!

yeah sure you'll have to go without sometimes, but that shouldn't be a problem- unless you're addicted :D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

drinking is far far far worse for you then taking marijuana in any form including smoking

i can almost guarantee that the percentage of people who fall into psychosis as a result of weed is less than the percentage of people who fall into alcoholism and far far less than the people who get pissed drunk and do something stupid that hurts them and others every weekend

alcohol is fine i drink iv nothing against it but besides the fact you have to know a dealer to get some weed is the far superior drug

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

Weed for me please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Alcohol is a lot more harmful and addictive than weed. For fact.
    You don't see weed related crimes and incidents while the cop stations and hospitals are filled with Alcohol related crimes and incidents.

Also weed doesn't have many serious health effects. While Alcohol is the primary cause of Liver cirrhosis which is one of the primary cause of deaths in this country. Alcohol also increases the risk of breast cancer in women.
    BAC (blood alcohol concentration) of over 0.35% can lead to coma and a BAC of 0.5% can cause death. Just recently I read about a guy who drank 1.5l of Vodka in 20mins and died cause of it.
    Alcohol is large concentrations is a depressant. While the first few drinks might make you feel euphoric, tt will make you depressed after having a good few drinks.
    And you see a lot more people suffering from Alcoholism (many in denial) than you see people suffering from addiction to weed.

So Alcohol is much worse a drug than weed. But in the words of Bill Hicks Weed and those other untaxed drugs are the bad drugs, Nicotine and Alcohol are good drugs, coincidentally the taxed drugs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Most people who smoke chuff usually don't stop at one but sit around all day or night smoking
    Well, I guess I've haven't met "most people," just people who use it in moderation. Do you have a link supporting your statement that "most people" do not exercise moderation?

I am not into recreational drugs like weed, but do have a pint or a glass of wine on occasion.
    Sure alcohol can turn people into obnoxious and sometimes violent morons
    I'm temporarily in America attending university, and I worry more about drunk drivers than people who smoke weed. They kill people by the thousands every year in the US. Alcohol-related deaths in 2004 were 16,694!

Source: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0908129.html

How many weed smokers have killed people? Numbers? Link?
    Plus...

"Risks of excessive drinking
    Though moderate alcohol use seems to have some health benefits, anything more than moderate drinking can negate any potential benefits. Be cautious because excessive alcohol consumption can lead to serious health problems, including:
    • Cancer of the pancreas, mouth, pharynx, larynx, esophagus and liver, as well as breast cancer
    • Pancreatitis, especially in people with high levels of triglycerides in their blood
    • Sudden death in people with cardiovascular disease
    • Heart muscle damage (alcoholic cardiomyopathy) leading to heart failure
    • Stroke
    • High blood pressure
    • Cirrhosis of the liver
    • Miscarriage
    • Fetal alcohol syndrome in an unborn child, including impaired growth and nervous system development
    • Injuries due to impaired motor skills
    • Suicide"
    Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcohol/SC00024

You don't see weed related crimes and incidents while the cop stations and hospitals are filled with Alcohol related crimes and incidents.

Also weed doesn't have many serious health effects. While Alcohol is the primary cause of Liver cirrhosis which is one of the primary cause of deaths in this country. Alcohol also increases the risk of breast cancer in women.
    BAC (blood alcohol concentration) of over 0.35% can lead to coma and a BAC of 0.5% can cause death. Just recently I read about a guy who drank 1.5l of Vodka in 20mins and died cause of it.
    Alcohol is large concentrations is a depressant. While the first few drinks might make you feel euphoric, tt will make you depressed after having a good few drinks.
    And you see a lot more people suffering from Alcoholism (many in denial) than you see people suffering from addiction to weed.

So Alcohol is much worse a drug than weed. But in the words of Bill Hicks Weed and those other untaxed drugs are the bad drugs, Nicotine and Alcohol are good drugs, coincidentally the taxed drugs!

I think you missed the point of my post.

I think you missed the point of my post.

what was the point of your post then?

Its okay to drink your drug cuz its culture (and taxed) while its not okay to smoke it?

what was the point of your post then?

Its okay to drink your drug cuz its culture (and taxed) while its not okay to smoke it?

Did you even read my post? I think you'll find that I expressed no opinion about booze or weed.

Did you even read my post? I think you'll find that I expressed no opinion about booze or weed.

You said you wanted to settle the discussion for once and all by putting down some good points.
    I (and a lot more posters) put down some really good points.

You can't argue alcohol being better than weed in any way. Alcohol is much much worse than weed. Thats a fact.
    What more do we need to discuss about it?

I'm not a supporter of weed but neither am i a hypocritical alcohol supporter.

So again, what more do we need to discuss about it?

When is your sarcasm detector coming back from the shop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Going out into the streets and shooting someone dead for no reason is no different than buying drugs from a dealer from what we're seeing in the news.

Its a stupid debate tho. Alcohol and hash have feck all in common bar the fact both can make you look like a complete tosser.

Besides, we need to look the future. Do you smoke grass in space or do you smoke astroturf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Deffo weed.

faceman wrote: »
    Besides, we need to look the future. Do you smoke grass in space or do you smoke astroturf?

Must ask David Bowie! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wow some really really good points there...

You know that hemp is a good source of paper? I think the declaration of indipendance, or something of high importance, was written on hemp based paper? Am I right?

Anyway...

Everyone has their own opinions, and I like how some of you have not experienced the effects of weed still agree that it should be legalised or that you guys don't have a problem with it. That is something that we lack in todays society. Open minded people.

Some say that most "smokers" do so in a binge? There's two points I have to make about that. You become more tolerant to the toxins in mary jane over time, so some will smoke more to get that same high. Smoking a lot is not so fun. I would rather smoke one or two with some of my mates than binge out. Like anything, if you abuse it, it will not be good for you.

Faceman? Educate yourself before posting, you don't look to smart with a string of words like that. Alcohol and marajuana have a lot in common, haven't you been reading? They are not the same, or are not very close, but they share common attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Well, I guess I've haven't met "most people," just people who use it in moderation. Do you have a link supporting your statement that "most people" do not exercise moderation?

People I know who buy it do not do it in moderation. None of them. My previous self included.
    How many weed smokers have killed people? Numbers? Link?

Blah. Typical pro-weed argument. When there's a car crash they test the blood for alcohol, they don't test for cannibis. And FAR more people regularly drink alcohol than regularly smoke cannibis.
    "Risks of excessive drinking
    Though moderate alcohol use seems to have some health benefits, anything more than moderate drinking can negate any potential benefits. Be cautious because excessive alcohol consumption can lead to serious health problems, including:
    • Cancer of the pancreas, mouth, pharynx, larynx, esophagus and liver, as well as breast cancer
    • Pancreatitis, especially in people with high levels of triglycerides in their blood
    • Sudden death in people with cardiovascular disease
    • Heart muscle damage (alcoholic cardiomyopathy) leading to heart failure
    • Stroke
    • High blood pressure
    • Cirrhosis of the liver
    • Miscarriage
    • Fetal alcohol syndrome in an unborn child, including impaired growth and nervous system development
    • Injuries due to impaired motor skills
    • Suicide"
    Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcohol/SC00024

An almost absolute majority of smokers will smoke with tobacco, and as this isn't a legality debate almost all of the above can be applied to smoking joints.
    Smoking causes strokes, high blood pressure, is very dangerous for unborn babies. Suicide, can't believe that was put in there but I'd imagine weed would cause just as much, probably more given the paranoia effects.

Smoking cannabis virtually doubles the risk of developing mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, researchers say.
    The New Zealand scientists said their study suggested this was probably due to chemical changes in the brain which resulted from smoking the drug.

The study, published in the journal Addiction, followed over 1,000 people born in 1977 for 25 years.

full article(bbc)

In the long term alcohol might be more harmful, but it hits your lungs which affects your fitness & therefore overall health. Also alcohol damage is reversible, paranoid scizophrenia isn't. I used to be on the pro-weed side but after taking a break I can see I was bullsh*tting myself because I wanted to believe what I was saying.

That's certainly true, but this topic relates to the individual taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

well, ive been smoking for the past two weeks solid, and while it was fun for the first few days, its just a bit boring and antisocial now, gonna cut it out for a bit. it makes it tough to go and talk to people while you're out, as soon as youve gone out somewhere, you're already thinking of leaving and getting a bit of grub. ive never smoked this consistantly before, and i can certainly see that it may have a negative effect on mental health in the long run. that said, i never injured myself or anybody else while smoking, and never ended friendships with a tirade of abuse while smoking, the drink will do that

I'm going to start smoking weed again soon in a bit to cut down on my drinking.

I will report back with my findings if I'm arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Each has it's time and place I guess, but in general I do prefer a few joints and a few cans to a full on smoking-til-you-can't-spell-your-own-face session, and prefer that to a binge-drinking session. As long as I'm not hitting any of them too hard for more than a few days though I don't have any huge problems with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I think the fact that weed is inhaled (and thus reaches the brain really fast) contributes largely to addictiveness. yes, it's nowhere as addictive as inhaled stimulants or inhaled opiates but it is more addictive than it would be if it was always taken orally.

The solution to the problem lies in synthetic cannabinoid pills.

If you were to pop a pill to get high, you'd have a good 30 minutes cool down period between taking the drug and the effects kicking in. It would be a bigger deal. More of a thing you plan ahead for, like a kind of a mini-trip. I think this would be far less addictive than smoking cannabis.

Yes there are synthetic cannabinoids, and they DO work. However people shouldn't take them untill they've been tested first so we know the dangers attatched to them. How can this research happen without legal drugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭[WoW]

have never smoked it to be honest but think weed is worse than alcohol (although comparing the two is pointless) because nicotine is a lot more addictive than alcohol, and as nicotine is smoked with weed people have a higher chance of becoming addicted to tobacco. no? :confused: i think the majority of posters know a lot more nicotine addicts than alcoholics? and yes i know tobacco and weed are not the same thing.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

People I know who buy it do not do it in moderation. None of them. My previous self included

everything is fine in moderation if you use it to excess its your problem not the millions of pot users world wide problem.

Blah. Typical pro-weed argument. When there's a car crash they test the blood for alcohol, they don't test for cannibis. And FAR more people regularly drink alcohol than regularly smoke cannibis.

so you discount the argument because....its what??? overused? apply it to either numbers or percentages and weed still comes out on top

An almost absolute majority of smokers will smoke with tobacco, and as this isn't a legality debate almost all of the above can be applied to smoking joints.

shows your ignorance to be honest england and ireland are the only two places i have visited were putting tobacco into your spliffs is not looked upon with shock
    Smoking causes strokes, high blood pressure, is very dangerous for unborn babies. Suicide, can't believe that was put in there but I'd imagine weed would cause just as much, probably more given the paranoia effects.

smoking cigarettes sure.....weed not so much but feel free to show me the stats. as for sucide im not sure if your comparing with cigarettes or alcohol but either way alcohol is a depressant weed is not

In the long term alcohol might be more harmful, but it hits your lungs which affects your fitness & therefore overall health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMLSyOMiYd4

skip to 2.30 and then 4.20 or just watch it all
    Also alcohol damage is reversible, paranoid scizophrenia isn't. I used to be on the pro-weed side but after taking a break I can see I was bullsh*tting myself because I wanted to believe what I was saying.

pretty sure liver damage is not reversible and i was pro weed before i did any drugs and after becoming somewhat of a regular smoker im even more of an advocate(not necesarily of what we get in ireland but real properly grown stuff)

edit; just to add i know that there is downsides to it but there are downsides to every drug and in my experience marijuana is the drug with the least amount of downsides
    have never smoked it to be honest but think weed is worse than alcohol (although comparing the two is pointless) because nicotine is a lot more addictive than alcohol, and as nicotine is smoked with weed people have a higher chance of becoming addicted to tobacco. no? i think the majority of posters know a lot more nicotine addicts than alcoholics? and yes i know tobacco and weed are not the same thing.

again in this country we are in the minority on how we use weed, i smoke tobacco with my joints when others are rolling because they want to use less weed(coz its relatively expensive over here) but when i roll its pure weed. i have smoked alot of joints with tobacco in them and have never once, ever, not even close, got a craving or withdrawal or anything like that for cigarettes or even another joint with tobacco in it. what you say is techinically correct though if you smoke it with tobacco you could become addicted to nicotine

Advertisement