Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juices. And nothing but.

Options
  • 24-11-2008 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi, I've been sort of planning this idea for a looong time now, trying to gather what information I can on how best to do it. Well, it's time I really got the finger out and put the plan into action. So tomorrow I'm going out and buying myself a good juice extractor and over the following week or so I'll start stocking up and fruit and vegetables and will begin to lighten the amount of solid food I'm eating and replacing with water and juices, as opposed to the usual stuff like milk etc. Just a bit of weaning so the change isn't too much of a shock... I'll be doing the same thing at the end of this fast.

My plan is inspired by the following link and is to sort of emulate what this guy succeeded in doing: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2360576
    If you read through all his posts (from the bottom up cronologically), you get a pretty good idea of what he's doing/done and why.
    30 days on fruit, vegetable juices. No solids. Luckily I already don't drink or smoke. Juice, and plenty of it, to replace every meal. Actually, to consume more often than that.

I've been looking at what info I can find, I'm still sort of unsure of what fruits/vegs I should be having the most/least of, though. Quantities...

Is anyone aware of what essential nutrients, vitamins etc I won't be able to get from a diet like this and might need to get supplements for?

Honestly I'm not really up for going (and paying) to see a nutritionist about this, I'd rather do it myself, but I'm too ignorant to really know about how much, and of what, I need to consume.

The good news is that whatever diet I do adopt couldn't possibly be any worse than my current one.

Really I'm just posting here in advance to see what advice or recommendations people have for me undertaking this fast. I'm not interested in why anyone thinks this is silly or stupid, I know care must be taken in doing this; I'm after advice on how best to pull it off. I will do it with or without the support of anyone else.

Apologies if this isn't quite the right forum. I just though people here would be most knowledgeable. Grateful for any wisdom ye can share...
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

soya milk is kinda a juice. You'd probably need that for protein. Can't think of many other juice-based protein sources.
    The other obvious issue to address would be that juices would generally be very sugary and not have much complex carbohydrate.

You might get a better response if you dig up some "pro-anna" website tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You won't get much of the fibre in the fruit and veg if you juice it, that's something to consider. If you are trying to lose weight that would be important too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Why? What are you trying to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 El Torrente

pwd wrote: »
    You might get a better response if you dig up some "pro-anna" website tbh.
    Are you actually serious? Equating a juice fast with being "pro-anna" is idiotic. I came to this website because I thought people would be able to share know-how and experience in living on such a diet. You ain't one of those people.

I'm trying to achieve a healthier, fitter body and higher energy levels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

well a very quick google reveals:

"Juice fast is next best and somewhat easier, especially for first time fasters."

from the pro anna website at
    http://ww[no link to bad site]w.fading-obsession.com/tips-tricks/fasting.php

http://community.livejournal[nolink].com/proanorexia/2006/01/09/

-more people committing to juice fasting on the world's largest pro-anna site.

anorexics know their fasting ;)

You should ask a pharmacist about detoxes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Are you actually serious? Equating a juice fast with being "pro-anna" is idiotic. I came to this website because I thought people would be able to share know-how and experience in living on such a diet. You ain't one of those people.

I'm trying to achieve a healthier, fitter body and higher energy levels.
    This "diet" that you're talking about is not going to give you what you want. You need fibre. You need protein. You need solids - you're not a new-born.

Why don't you post up your current diet in the Nutrition & Diet forum and we can have a look? Going from one extreme diet to another is not going to do you any favours and your body won't thank you for it.

A diet is for LIFE not just for 30 days. And "detoxing" has about as much meaning as the word toning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭shift

well i definitely think its a great idea to incorporate juice into your day. However, like everyone says you do need fibre and you body will keep reminding you. If you mainly made vegetable juice and ate a good bit of fruit that would be excellent. Also raw nuts like almonds, brazil etc are great if you're worried about protein and amino acids.
    I go by this diet alot and never let myself go hungry by eating lots of fruit. The juices are really filling and you feel really see the difference they make in a matter of days. I never go more than a few days without a 'normal' dinner but thats just cravings and I have nothing against eating anything I want.
    Even if you just added a juice to your daily diet im sure they will grow on you. But get fibre!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

shift wrote: »
    The juices are really filling
    But not as filling as the actual fruit/veg which will have just around the same calories, so why no fill up? this will stave off hunger and the likelihood to snack.
    shift wrote: »
    Even if you just added a juice to your daily diet im sure they will grow on you. But get fibre!
    Yes get fibre, and the easiest way is to just eat the foods whole!

And remember fruit juice is really mainly sugars (carbohydrate). Of the 3 main food substances Fat, Protein, Carbohydrate, there is really only one you can survive without, and that is carbohydrate, fat is essential (contrary to what the marketing men might tell you), so is protein. Make sure you get your protein and fat in, which will be hard on just veg & fruit juice. Eskimos/inuit have little or no carbs in their diet at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

rubadub wrote: »
    Eskimos/inuit have little or no carbs in their diet at all.

Something you should know about the Inuit.
    But all fats are not created equal. This lies at the heart of a paradox—the Inuit paradox, if you will. In the Nunavik villages in northern Quebec, adults over 40 get almost half their calories from native foods, says Dewailly, and they don’t die of heart attacks at nearly the same rates as other Canadians or Americans.
    A key difference in the typical Nunavik Inuit’s diet is that more than 50 percent of the calories in Inuit native foods come from fats. Much more important, the fats come from wild animals.
    Wild-animal fats are different from both farm-animal fats and processed fats, says Dewailly. Farm animals, cooped up and stuffed with agricultural grains (carbohydrates) typically have lots of solid, highly saturated fat. Much of our processed food is also riddled with solid fats, or so-called trans fats, such as the reengineered vegetable oils and shortenings cached in baked goods and snacks. “A lot of the packaged food on supermarket shelves contains them. So do commercial french fries,” Dewailly adds.

Wild animals that range freely and eat what nature intended, says Dewailly, have fat that is far more healthful. Less of their fat is saturated, and more of it is in the monounsaturated form (like olive oil).

You can be sure, however, that Atkins devotees aren’t routinely eating seal and whale blubber.
    “In heartland America it’s probable they’re not eating in an Eskimo-like way,” says Gary Foster, clinical director of the Weight and Eating Disorders Program at the Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Foster, who describes himself as open-minded about Atkins, says he’d nonetheless worry if people saw the diet as a green light to eat all the butter and bacon—saturated fats—they want.

, the subsistence diets of the Far North are not “dieting.” Dieting is the price we pay for too little exercise and too much mass-produced food. Northern diets were a way of life in places too cold for agriculture, where food, whether hunted, fished, or foraged, could not be taken for granted. They were about keeping weight on.

http://discovermagazine.com/2004/oct/inuit-paradox/article_view?b_start:int=0&-C=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Have fun with the shíts for 30 days, you need a bit of roughage to help the constitution (No dietition but my lay mans assumption)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

also too much fruit juice will destroy your teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 El Torrente

taconnol wrote: »
    This "diet" that you're talking about is not going to give you what you want.
    Fair enough, but could you explain why not?
    wrote:
    You need fibre.
    Okay, but why?
    wrote:
    You need solids
    Why?!
    wrote:
    Why don't you post up your current diet in the Nutrition & Diet forum and we can have a look? Going from one extreme diet to another is not going to do you any favours and your body won't thank you for it.
    Okay, so in your opinion this juice fast is extreme. Fine, whatever. On what basis are you assuming my current diet is in any way "extreme"?
    You can see below for something resembling my actual diet, anyway. I'm aware already that it's not the best diet ever, just so we're clear.

wrote:
    A diet is for LIFE not just for 30 days.
    Look, this 30 days thing is just for starters. Yeah, yeah, this silly diet is just a fad for me, I'll crash back to my junk-food binges in a few days :rolleyes:
    How long do you think any changes I'm making would last if I began making them with the intention of them being for the rest of my life? This is a drastic and difficult lifestyle change, yes, so I'm not going to be anything other than realistic about it: 30 days for starters. If I'm going to wrap it up after that, then, AS I SAID, I'll wean back onto the solids.
    wrote:
    And "detoxing" has about as much meaning as the word toning.
    Have I used the detox, or the word tone for that matter? Dear, oh dear. I'm well aware of how useless those words are. If you could try to take me for someone who isn't a fool, in spite of what you might think of this proposed diet. As I said, I'm looking for advice on how to proceed with this diet.

Anyway. My current diet. A lot of it is already made up of juices; fruits, vegetables. I know however that my current diet is far from ideal. Not really interested in making a 'gradual' change to a much more juice based diet, sorry. Things stick better with me this way.
    Breakfast is maybe 300ml of unconcentrated OJ and 2 boiled eggs. Maybe cereal sometimes. Usually something along the lines of cornflakes or oatbakes if I have any.

Brunch; I'll have a 500ml smoothie, of varying types. Mostly include orange juice, banana, organic yoghurt, acai, oats, mango etc. I also get a bagel with scrambled egg and ham.

Lunch; I'll have usually some form of meat & 2-veg deal. Beef or lamb or pork of turkey or sometimes cod or plaice. I'll have these with carrots, potatoes, cabbage and cauliflour. Less often; chips.

In the evening, Koka noodles and bread or sometimes some cooked chicken with wholegrain bread. No white bread.

Throughout the day I'll be drinking water (though admittedly not nearly enough. Maybe only 2 pints total) and often I'll have fruit juice drinks. The not-so-healthy kind that are generally sweetened and from concentrates etc. I'll also drink maybe 500ml of pure, unconcentrated OJ.

I do of course from time to time eat junkfood, i.e. fizzy drinks, or get fastfood like chinese or a burger or something. Not with regularity, though. The foods mentioned above are what I have habitually.

You'll probably gather from what I've written above, or from the way I've written that I'm a little short on specific knowledge, education when it comes to food & nutrition. I can of course easily find out what the reccomended calorific intake for myself is, but I don't know what quantities of what types of food I should really be having. As I said before, I'd rather gain some learning about these things myself than go see a nutrionist who'll only try to tell me what to have/not have.

While ultimately I'm looking to find out what quantities of what foods I'll need for this juice fast, it'd probably be a good start if anyone could give advice and what needs adding (or subtracting, for that matter) from my current diet.

Thanks again for any help. Seriously, I do really appreciate any of the people making more than a half-assed effort at replying here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I saw this entertainment news story on the rte guide website and was reminded of this thread.
    Actress Jolie on extreme diet claims

Angelina Jolie is reportedly battling fatigue as she tries to lose weight for her new film 'Salt'.

The 33-year-old actress is reportedly trying to lose 21lbs in 21 days for an upcoming film in which she plays a CIA assassin who is forced to disguise herself as a man.

Friends claim Angelina is so determined to look like a boy she has turned to the Martha's Vineyard Detox Diet to help shrink her frame.

The extreme diet - which was popular in Hollywood in 2007 - encourages followers to ingest liquids every two hours to 'cleanse the body'. Solid food is strictly prohibited.

Angelina reportedly started her detox three days before last month's Oscars and is already battling weakness and fatigue.

A source told Britain's Grazia magazine: "She has been trying to go for the full 21 days but it's tough. She's lost around eight pounds but is now introducing a couple of small meals in between shakes as she was starting to feel weak."

Angelina's partner Brad Pitt is reportedly so fed up with her new diet he stormed out of their rented Long Island mansion last week.

A friend said: "Brad told her that if she was staying on the diet, he was getting out of the way. Then she started screaming at him about a chore. 'He felt that what he did or said would be wrong, so he went to Los Angeles to let off steam with some buddies."
    see http://www.rteguide.ie/2009/0311/joliea.html

Sorry I just saw this now.
    Okay, but why?
    Fibre. There are huge benefits to having fibre and potentially negative consequences for removing it from your diet. Insoluble fibre improves the passage of food through your digestive system and can help reduce the risk of colon cancer.
    Why?!
    Solids. You need to understand how your body deals with its food. If you do not take in solids, the food and calories are going to go through your body faster. You also miss out on a large part of the thermic effect of food, whereby your body expends calories through digestion and absorption.

You will not get that feeling of being full for very long and your body will not have to work to break down food, meaning that the food will be absorbed too quickly, with the result that some nutrients will not be absorbed at all.

This is exactly the reason why carbs on the low end of the glycaemic level are advised: because they take your body longer to digest than highly refined carbs in the form of suger, chocolate bars and fizzy drinks. The benefits are:

*your body has a chance to absorb the nutrients
    *your blood sugar levels don't shoot up
    *you feel fuller for longer
    *you can benefit from the thermal effect of food
    Okay, so in your opinion this juice fast is extreme. Fine, whatever. On what basis are you assuming my current diet is in any way "extreme"?
    You can see below for something resembling my actual diet, anyway. I'm aware already that it's not the best diet ever, just so we're clear.
    It's extreme because it is incredibly restrictive (no solids) and is not something that can be kept up for a sustained period of time. Thankyou for admitting it is not "the best diet ever".
    Have I used the detox, or the word tone for that matter? Dear, oh dear. I'm well aware of how useless those words are. If you could try to take me for someone who isn't a fool, in spite of what you might think of this proposed diet. As I said, I'm looking for advice on how to proceed with this diet.
    Sorry, I won't give advice on how to carry out a diet I strongly disagree with. And I'll stick to my opinion of people who think liquid diets are a good thing.
    Throughout the day I'll be drinking water (though admittedly not nearly enough. Maybe only 2 pints total) and often I'll have fruit juice drinks. The not-so-healthy kind that are generally sweetened and from concentrates etc. I'll also drink maybe 500ml of pure, unconcentrated OJ.
    OJ is full of sugar. Either OJ or coke are the top 2 choices of drink to give a diabetic who is in danger of going into a hypoglycaemic coma. That's how full of sugar it is.

ALso, please be careful of drinking too much water. Normally, I wouldn't say people need to worry about this but it looks like you're planning on taking in quite large quantities of water daily. Remember: your body needs salts and if you dilute them down too much, your body won't be able to cope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

You should make smoothies instead. Juice is very wasteful.

Advertisement