Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ireland in nato!!!

• 24-11-2008 3:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭

is ireland part of nato????
    i know irish troops are serving abroad on nato peace keeping missions!
    but are ireland members of nato???

myself and a mate are havung a debate about this and need it settled!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Nope say the internet...

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=nato+member+states

Great site. :) SOrry if this seems a little condisending. I just love the site :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No. It refused the initial invitation to join in 1949. Interestingly, a subsequent Irish application to join NATO was refused by both the British and Americans. (I only just found out about this myself. See "Ireland in the World: Further Reflections" by Garret Fitzgerald, pp 198/199. Liberties Press, Dublin 2005)

In any case, the 'no' comes with a caveat or two.

Ireland has participated in NATO missions abroad, including ISAF (Afghanistan) and KFOR (Kosovo). They are UN-sanctioned, but run by NATO.

Ireland is a member of Partnership for Peace, which is a NATO program. Membership does not involve membership of NATO, however.

Further, Ireland holds Observer status in the WEU, Europe's defensive body. However, the status of this body is a little unclear, given that though the defense of Europe has been officially delegated to NATO, the WEU's purpose in the Treaty of Brussels has never actually been revoked. So to a practical aspect, if the WEU is now subservient to NATO, and Ireland has observer status in WEU, then in effect Ireland holds observer status in NATO.

NTM

Dude, the question is pretty clear and so is the answer, NO. Regardless if they are in WEU or not, they are not a part of NATO, simple.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I like giving more information. The question as posed was hurried, the conversation which revolved around that question could well incorporate information which I added in addition.

NTM

Your only making things confusing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

I like giving more information. The question as posed was hurried, the conversation which revolved around that question could well incorporate information which I added in addition.

NTM

Interesting to have that info. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Dude, the question is pretty clear and so is the answer, NO. Regardless if they are in WEU or not, they are not a part of NATO, simple.

This is a DISCUSSION board. IF someone simply want the answer to a question then they can ask http://ask.yahoo.com/ and you will get an answer.

Ask here and you get information.

Thanks for that MM, I was not aware of that. Great to learn new things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Isn't it a case that one of the conditions of joining NATO is that all members must recognise the current borders or other member countries? I seem to remember that was one of the main snags to us joining. At the time, we had a constitutional claim on the North. In theory we could join now, since that claim has been removed. But of course we won't as we're 'neutral'. (Cue: sound of hollow laughter).:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I thought the official Irish stance is a position of "Non Alliance" which means essentially they can sit back and let NATO defend then as they are such a strategic country but not pay huge sums of money in the process.

IFOR/SFOR/KFOR - Are not strictly NATO missions but NATO led missions serving UN mandates. This is why you had MALBAT (Malaysian Battalion), PAKBAT (Pakistan Battlion) and even Sweeden serving in NORBAT and for KFOR a large Russian led pressence that was interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Good info that, thanks MM. I think really its a case of how you interpret the term observer.

• Advertisement

Ah chill out, cry babies... Discussion or not, it was a straight forward question... Ah talking to some of you is completely pointless... pfft!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Thats right mate.......WAHH!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Ha Ha of course we're not in NATO...

http://www.nato.int/kfor/docu/inside/2007/08/i070803a.htm

...oh hold on I'm confused now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Hard Larry wrote: »
    Ha Ha of course we're not in NATO...

http://www.nato.int/kfor/docu/inside/2007/08/i070803a.htm

...oh hold on I'm confused now too.

LOL