Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World band radio...for travel purposes!

• 24-11-2008 3:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm heading away to Tanzania in Jan for a few months and I would like to purchase a world band radio so that I could catch up on news back here. Does anyone know of a good world band radio that I could buy that would be sufficient?

I'm not too well up on shortwaves/longwaves/frequencies etc so I'd appreciate it if someone could explain to me if it would be possible to tune into 2fm for example while I'm in Africa?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Get a good quality radio like a Sony (various models) or the Eton E5. DON'T get one of the cheap all band radios that are sold by Lidl etc. They're not worth it. Expect to pay €100-€150 for a good set. Maybe more.
    You won't get 2FM on SW. Nor will you be able to receive RTE1 on LW out there. You could check on RTEs website for the timetable and frequencies of their SW relays of Radio 1 (i think its radio 1). I believe even the BBC have cut back on their SW broadcasts

http://www.rte.ie/radio/worldwide.html

A quick look there and I see no mention of SW. They claim to be on Worldspace satellite radio but check first because I think Worldspace are having problems at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I was in Dar es Salaam last year and a colleague had a SW radio and got RTE "coming in and fading out" didn't have time to ask frequencies etc, and as previous poster has said I think the RTE SW product has been erratic to say the least.
    Just letting you know that is has been done if that's any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

What about www.1worldspace.com thats what I'd be taking to the bush if I did not have the net.

Will you have the net?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

so what radio would you recommend that would be portable and also have the best features and still be able to listen to stations the other side of the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

If he is out in the Rukwa and Mbeya provinces or up near the Rwanda border he might have a problem....

• Advertisement

so what radio would you recommend that would be portable and also have the best features and still be able to listen to stations the other side of the world?
    Did you read my reply above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

woops...sorry yeah read it now. thanks for that dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Greenman wrote: »
    What about www.1worldspace.com thats what I'd be taking to the bush if I did not have the net.

Will you have the net?

Did you see mine too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Greenman wrote: »

Will you have the net?

Worldspace is a goner! This from their website...

"On October 17th, 2008, WorldSpace, Inc. filed for protection under Chapter 11 of the U. S. Bankruptcy Code

The objective of this filing is to go through an organized process of reorganization and restructuring of the Company.s business (which could include a sale of all or substantially all of our assets), protecting the assets and the value of the business. During the period, which may take several months, depending on the complexities involved, the Company will attempt to continue its operations as usual while it plans its reorganization"

Methinks you should go for a decent portable Worldband radio CLICK HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

RTÉ's on the WRN (World Radio Network) station... Not sure if you'll be able to pick it up on SW but it might be worth checking out

http://www.wrn.org/listeners/stations/station.php?StationID=52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

RTÉ ceased daily SW transmissions back in 2003 and at the time offered free Worldspace terminals to some overseas listeners. They still transmit the All Ireland Finals by SW.

Worldspace are currently undergoing bankruptcy proceedings.

WRN is not available on shortwave. You're looking at a 2.4M dish to pick up the WRN satellite service on Intelsat 10 in Tanzania.
    http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/receiver-software-international-section/131728-looking-hot-bird-6-7a-8-east-africa.html

http://www.rte.ie/radio/africa.html
    http://www.wrn.org/listeners/stations/station.php?StationID=52

I know its off topic, but its a wonder that RTE didn't continue with SW transmissions fulltime from Ireland after WW2.

Advertisement