Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to install wireless card ?

• 24-11-2008 3:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

My vista install was getting bloated so i thought i'd do a fresh install, i imaged my C: drive then formatted and reinstalled everything, problem is the wireless card isn't detected, I was connected to lan when last i installed and got the driver through windows update, this is no longer possible, so now I have 2 images, one with wireless card working and one with it not,
    on the one where it's working I checked the properties of the device and the file listed as driver there I copied to a data drive accessible from both images, i also copied the system32\drivers folder and the system32\inf folder , i then tried manually installing the driver and pointed it at the inf folder, it starts the installation but gives an error saying a file could not be found, so i don't know maybe i need more files or the inf lists the file as being in a certain location and i need to put the driver file there ? beats me

On another working machine i searched the web and on a microsoft page they linked to a driver, i downloaded this and installed and yes the device is listed and it can detect wireless networks but i can't connect, i think it's a wrong version, when i check the driver properties in device manager the driver listed is not the same as the driver listed on the working image, its a different filename so i think it's wrong,

I want to use the driver that the working image is using, how can i do this ?
    any ideas ? thx in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

What error does it give when it can't connect?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

been arsing around with this all day, had a look around the net and found drivergrabber
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/DriverGrabber/1170699160/1
    it detects all drivers installed and backs them up, so i am just installing the working image again, ill run that and it should back up the net driver, then ill install the not working image and install the drivers, sounds like a plan, thanks for the above links i'll have a look at them while imaging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

typical drivergrabber doesn't work with vista 64, anyway got it sorted, if anyone is interested, properties of the device -> click driver tab, hit details, that will show you the driver file it is using, then click on the details tab and in the poperty drop down list select inf name ,then just make a copy of the inf file and the sys file, and on the machine you need to install the driver , right click on the card and select update driver software and browse to the inf file, thanks for the suggestions above

Advertisement