Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some information.

Options
  • 24-11-2008 6:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

On what grounds are you able to hold your gun at another house? If I had my gun at my parents, just saying, could I move that gun from house to house. If I rent in a differant county for the year, what can I do with my gun. Without giving it to the local dealer for minding. Costs too much. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It'll depend entirely on what your parent's local Garda Superintendent requires for anyone to possess whatever sort of firearm it is.
    There'll almost certainly have to be someone who permanently resides in the house licenced for the firearm, and the local Superintendent will have to be satisfied with the security arrangements.

Your first port of call is probably your parent's local Garda Station, and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

On what grounds are you able to hold your gun at another house? If I had my gun at my parents, just saying, could I move that gun from house to house. If I rent in a differant county for the year, what can I do with my gun. Without giving it to the local dealer for minding. Costs too much. Thanks in advance.

Rovi is right talk to the Gardai
    There is an issue on renting I know for examole I couldnt get a shotgun in England until I purchased my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If I go talk to the guards will they start looking into where I live etc etc? I rather they didn't. It's a .22lr I had no problem getting the licence. They didn't check my house (which they are not obliged to do by the way) We are not stupid and have our own saftey precations.

What about all the students at college, people gone travelling? I know a good few people not living where their fire arm is stored. Is that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Students don't often tend to have their own firearms; most of those who shoot tend to be in DURC or UCDRC using the club firearms. The few exceptions to this have cleared things with their local superintendent, there isn't any written ruleset.

In all cases, the licence is issued on condition that the super knows where the firearm is stored - if folks licence it saying it's stored in place A and it's found to actually be in place B without notifying the Super, then they're in a heap of trouble and probably will have their cert revoked (unless place B happens to be a firearms dealer who has secure storage, most Superintendents don't seem to have a difficulty with this because of the extra security it would afford things, which is obviously in the spirit of the Firearms Act - but check with your super first in case he's one of the exceptions).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I live in an apartment and so couldn't fit a gunsafe. I keep mine (.22 rifle) at my mothers house (safe, alarm etc). The FAO wasn't thrilled with the arrangement to begin with but he obviously deemed it safe enough becouse I got my licence. My mother is not licenced btw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement