Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescribed Novels and Plays for the 2009 Higher Level English Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 24-11-2008 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I am attempting to study by myself from home for the 2009 Leaving Cert.

Can someone please post the list of prescribed novels and plays for 2009 Higher Level English? I have searched but am still not quite sure. Also, any recommendation would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ozone08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Skoool.ie has a list, as posted above...

We're doing 6 poets, instead of 8, because at least one of the ones you've studied will come up. We took Elizabeth Bishop, John Keats, Derek MAhon, Derek Walcott, Michael Longely and Philip Larkin. None of them are too hard tbh. You could do Adrienne Rich if you wanted, apparently shes not too bad and normally at least one female poet comes up, so between Bishop and Rich you'd be covered, presuming the exam remains the same as previous years.

We did Philadelphia, Here I Come, My Oedipus Complex and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man for the comparative. A Portrait is quite difficult. A lot of people did Cinema Paradisso as the third text, it's film. If you use New English Key Notes 2009, they do those three texts in notes & samples. You study them under theme, cultural context and general viewpoint, but we only did theme and cultural context, because one will definately come up!

We did Macbeth as out main text thing, which was alright, not too hard to understand, and that book I mentioned does notes on that as well. Also does notes on the poems, a life-saver for me altogether!!

Hope this helps! :D

Actually, this just reminded me of something. What's literary genre? We're only doing theme, cultural context and general vision and viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Literary genre is one of the comparative modes, like cultural context and theme and gen vision and viewpoint. It's not on for 2009.

• Advertisement

If you don't mind me saying, you're starting quite late, unless you're repeating.

deemark wrote: »
    Literary genre is one of the comparative modes, like cultural context and theme and gen vision and viewpoint. It's not on for 2009.
    That's grand then. In fifth year my teacher kept making loads of reference to it, then in sixth year it was gone! I thought I'd imagined it

Skoool.ie has a list, as posted above...

We're doing 6 poets, instead of 8, because at least one of the ones you've studied will come up. We took Elizabeth Bishop, John Keats, Derek MAhon, Derek Walcott, Michael Longely and Philip Larkin. None of them are too hard tbh. You could do Adrienne Rich if you wanted, apparently shes not too bad and normally at least one female poet comes up, so between Bishop and Rich you'd be covered, presuming the exam remains the same as previous years.

We did Philadelphia, Here I Come, My Oedipus Complex and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man for the comparative. A Portrait is quite difficult. A lot of people did Cinema Paradisso as the third text, it's film. If you use New English Key Notes 2009, they do those three texts in notes & samples. You study them under theme, cultural context and general viewpoint, but we only did theme and cultural context, because one will definately come up!

We did Macbeth as out main text thing, which was alright, not too hard to understand, and that book I mentioned does notes on that as well. Also does notes on the poems, a life-saver for me altogether!!

Hope this helps! :D

It does. Thanks!

deemark wrote: »
    If you don't mind me saying, you're starting quite late, unless you're repeating.

I'm not repeating. However, I have developed some study skills over time that I did not have when at school. Hopefully that will be enough to get me through the material. Maybe I am being overly ambitious, but I feel I need this to gain confidence and to progress in life. I'd do it over two years if time were not an issue, but I'm 29 now and feel I've wasted far too much time as it is.

It's do-able, but try to get yourself some grinds to keep you on track. At 29, it's the old course you would have done and the comparative can be quite tricky to figure out 1st time on your own.

Fair dues to ya though, I have great respect for anyone who goes back to education:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement