Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Dongle Vs PCI Card for WIFI Receiver

Options
  • 24-11-2008 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Got a new pc off a mate, didn't notice at the time but the GFX card covers a PCI slot and as it's an SLI board I'm a PCI slot down on my last machine.

So, simple question.

Is there any major downsides to USB receivers and does anyone have a recommendation for one?

Cheers.

CL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Hey,

Got a new pc off a mate, didn't notice at the time but the GFX card covers a PCI slot and as it's an SLI board I'm a PCI slot down on my last machine.

So, simple question.

Is there any major downsides to USB receivers and does anyone have a recommendation for one?

Cheers.

CL

Hi

There can be downsides - USB Wifi Radios are quite compact along with the antennas so distance can be poor - if your very close to your router it should be ok - Having them at the back of the PC can have bad results so if your stuck with only the USB option make sure you extend it up ontop of your case away from the rear something like this belkin

343018.jpg

Have you got any PCI express slots left in your machine?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You dont really need something as elaborate as the Belkin stand. An ordinary usb extension lead works grand and gives plenty of options to try and find the best location. I use one with a Netgear usb in a pretty awkward location and it gives good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Hey cheers. After reading up and my proximity to the router (around 5ft through a wall) I've gone with a Linksys http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-064-LS Can go straight into the pc or into an extension cable.

Have no other pci slots free (at this time). The GFX card heatsink covers one.

I also need my sound card and IDE extender for my additional drives (am currently sacrificing the IDE card)

I can now get rid of the PCI wifi receiver. I need to get round to upgrading my drives to sata. Might ask santa.

Advertisement