Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rude Competition Winner on the RTE Late Late Show 21/11/08!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

quality! Surprised how Pat dealt with it, he did well. Your one is some lemon though, surely she had a son/daughter/niece/nephew that would have loved those tickets!

I would have snapped em up, and i'm 24!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

typical ****e of which a snotty person wins,like on winning streak,someone not already short of few bob gets the top prizes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

Some ppl eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Great clip!

Kenny is generally a pleb, but I have to agree with how he handled it there. The viewer obviously watches the show on a regular basis, and clearly wasn't that surprised when she took the call.

IMO she should've acted with a bit more class. She just came across as a classless, aloof b*tch on the phone, and if she had any nous she would've accepted the entire prize with grace, and subsequently offloaded the pair of tickets to someone who would've loved to go. Perhaps she doesn't have children, or has no interest in the Toy Show (which is a bit of craic more than anything else), but nonetheless she just made a tw@t of herself.

I suppose she's up €10,000 with a free weekend in Dublin, so I doubt she cares what Pat Kenny, RTÉ, the viewers or anyone here on boards thinks. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

sure was just some spanner. The bmw comment at the end was good i must say. sure in the times we are in think what 10 grand could get ya. rte should have put a clause in that you have to go to the toyshow as part of the prize sort if a PR stunt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Homer

she was damn right, the standard of toys they give out to the audiance has deteriorated over the years anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I had wondered what all the fuss was about, if i was kenny i would have "accidentally" hung up :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Homer wrote: »
    she was damn right, the standard of toys they give out to the audiance has deteriorated over the years anyway :p

Was she fcuk damn right, the ungrateful snotty cow.......Typical snobby stuck up class.....Late Late was good enough for her to watch and to take 10 grand off.......and she couldn't manage to accept the prize & tickets gracefully, whether she wanted to go or not...

That was Pat's chance to shred his bland image and tell her to go and swing for the prize......People would have applauded him for it...

Hope she chokes on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I thought Miss Havisham was dead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Typical Cork!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

my blood would boil giving her a cheque for 10k, pity she didnt win it on colm and jim jims show, cheque probably would've bounced!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Gay Byrne would have handled that with humour.Kenny takes everything seriously.He was insulted by her apparent lack of interest and got back at her by taring up the tickets.Gaybo would have had fun with her,ask her has she no family or friends who'd be interested.Kenny's lack of wit and sense of fun is his biggest drawback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Pat handled it very well. Humour? There was no humour to be had from that cow. Good on him. I like the guy a little bit more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Some people, let her enjoy her day out in the "Capital" Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Have to appreciate the honest in all fairness...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

Pat is a plank anyway..fair play to her, she was honest, 10k up and doesnt have to sit thru hours of toy show fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ancee

she just said on Cork Local Radio that she didn't know what the prize was - how do you enter a competition that requires an answer to a question and not know what the prize is?? She also said she had no interest in toys and preferred books to toys as a child. While she was obviously not a Pat Kenny fan (who is?) he was also quite rude and dismissive of her when he passed the remark about not getting words out of her if she was tortured and he was too busy having his little rant and tearing up the tickets her when she said to raffle them. The whole incident did neither of them any favours but was hilarious!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I was cringing when I heard what she said. Just take the tickets and give them to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

He auctioned the tickets on his radio show this morning and raised €1500 for the children's hospital in crumlin.All's well that ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

todolist wrote: »
    He auctioned the tickets on his radio show this morning and raised €1500 for the children's hospital in crumlin.All's well that ends well.

Good thinking by someone in RTÉ - no doubt the fiasco on Friday night's show ensured some publicity that the Late Late would welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

It would have been even better if they had taken the 10 grand off her as well and used it to buy €10,000 worth of toys for the children's hospital. On the other hand, she could redeem herself by using the money to the same end but from what I've heard, she sounds like she's so far up her own ass that that idea would never occur to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

I just watched the clip now and thought PK was rude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Pat is a plank anyway..fair play to her, she was honest, 10k up and doesnt have to sit thru hours of toy show fail.
    So if you entered the competition and pat rang you up would you say you didnt want the tickets, just the money? If you would then you're the plank mate, not pat.

The woman is obviously just a miserable old wagon, wouldn't know manners if it hit her in the face. She just left her TV blaring while she was on the phone and she made things as awkward as possible for Pat.

Fair play to Pat, handled it very well and I'm glad he said they'll go to someone who appreciates them, he's a better man than I am anyway, if I were in his position I probably would have hung up on her. Hope she enjoys her weekend in Dublin (which she will more than likely be spending alone).
    I just watched the clip now and thought PK was rude

Why? PK rang her up saying she has won 10 grand and she acts as if it's an everyday occurence.
    25-11-2008 10:41
    Very good to hear that, they went to someone who really appreciates them.

At the end of the day your one is a miserable old wagon whos having a lonely weekend in Dublin. Pat handled it better than most would have and now the tickets have gone to someone who appreciates them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

What an ungrateful stuck up cow. Not a fan of Pat Kenny but he was dead right on this one. Pity he had to give her the €10k:mad:

Jaysus as a kid when your aunt gave you something like a pair of pyjamas instead of your favourite toy for your birthday you were thought to say thank you. Manners are a thing of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

I was reading on other blogs that people were saying "what if she was ill or had just received bad news? Maybe thats why she came across as rude?" Well this is what she had to say about the whole thing:

THE WOMAN at the centre of 'The Late Late Toy Show' controversy has rebuffed RTE's efforts to persuade her to attend Friday's show -- warning yesterday that she would probably be "bored stiff".

Barbara Heavey from Cork said she wasn't interested in toys and, if she did attend the show, would probably "set off the smoke alarms by chain-smoking in the toilets".

She also stressed that she found it "ridiculous" and "absolutely crazy" that her decision to turn down two tickets for 'The Late Late Toy Show' after winning a viewers' prize should have provoked such a national storm of controversy.

'Late Late' host Pat Kenny confirmed that he had been flooded with messages from people upset at Barbara's reaction to winning the sought-after prize.

The top broadcaster said the overwhelming majority of the messages were critical of Barbara's handling of the prize and the show tickets.

But Barbara was unrepentant over her decision. "I did say that they should be put up for a raffle -- so I have actually done someone a favour," she said.

But the Cork woman -- whose children are all grown -- does intend to avail of the other aspects of the viewer prize. They include a weekend stay at a penthouse in a five-star Dublin hotel, €5,000 in shopping vouchers and €5,000 in cash.

Barbara confirmed that she would be travelling to Dublin on Friday with her 87-year old mother as her guest.

She acknowledged that it was awkward that €5,000 of the prize was in the form of shopping vouchers which can apparently only be spent in Dublin.

God my heart bleeds for her having to come all the way up to Dublin to spend her 5grand :( Poor thing!

Advertisement