Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only one who thinks

Options
  • 24-11-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

that the cheering of Gomes was genuine support and not a p1sstake ??

The way I saw it was that every time he collected the ball at the end of a blackburn attack he was cheered. He was cheered as an act of encouragement given all the rubbish he's had to put up with lately.

If he was really supposed to be slagged off than I have no doubt that the fans would have booed the bollox off him. I just don't buy the media yarn that all the cheers were ironic designed to take the piss outta him, complete bolox IMO.

My view is based on what I saw/heard on the telly, was it any different to those who attended ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

Have to agree with you...can't stand some of the arseholes on Sky..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

The way I saw it was that every time he collected the ball at the end of a blackburn attack he was cheered. He was cheered as an act of encouragement given all the rubbish he's had to put up with lately.

If he was really supposed to be slagged off than I have no doubt that the fans would have booed the bollox off him. I just don't buy the media yarn that all the cheers were ironic designed to take the piss outta him, complete bolox IMO.

My view is based on what I saw/heard on the telly, was it any different to those who attended ??

shane
    i was there yesterday and I think for the most part the cheering was meant as encouragement. there was some ott stuff but compared to nothing at all compared to the hammering Jenas took.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Hope your right Dub Spur, its difficult to tell from the tv which way the jeers are going, I hope to God we stick by him and he comes through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

yiddo wrote: »
    shane
    i was there yesterday and I think for the most part the cheering was meant as encouragement. there was some ott stuff but compared to nothing at all compared to the hammering Jenas took.

I was at the Fulham game last week and I'm also certain that the
    cheering was meant as encouragement. The cheering started after his gifted goal to Fulham and I have no doubt that it was intended as encouragement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Simple Pieman

ruiseal wrote: »
    I was at the Fulham game last week and I'm also certain that the
    cheering was meant as encouragement. The cheering started after his gifted goal to Fulham and I have no doubt that it was intended as encouragement.

I guess it is easy to read it both ways. Initially yesterday I thought it was ironic cheering. It will be interesting on Thursday to see how he does back on Dutch soil. He really needs to put in some comprehensive displays and personally I would love to see just that. We know that he is capable of tremendous athletic saves (Fulham) but his all round play leaves a lot to be desired.

Another clean sheet yesterday will have done him no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

When i was watching the game, after the first time it happened and the commentator picked up on it, i thought the commentator was completely wrong. I dont know whether I'm right in thinking it was encouragement, but i do get why they all seemed to think it was Gomes being jeered. What the supporters need is a good song to sing about Gomes, like when Robbo was here they had the "Englands no.1" chant...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

I guess it is easy to read it both ways. Initially yesterday I thought it was ironic cheering. It will be interesting on Thursday to see how he does back on Dutch soil. He really needs to put in some comprehensive displays and personally I would love to see just that. We know that he is capable of tremendous athletic saves (Fulham) but his all round play leaves a lot to be desired.

Another clean sheet yesterday will have done him no harm.

agree pie man i think it could be taken either way but im more inclined to think it was as a piss take from what i have read on other forums but each to their own....

Advertisement