Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Towing Dublin - Sligo

Options
  • 24-11-2008 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to bring a very sick Saxo from Dublin to Sligo. Don't think towing with a rope would be practical, anyone got any suggestions or contacts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I'm looking to bring a very sick Saxo from Dublin to Sligo. Don't think towing with a rope would be practical, anyone got any suggestions or contacts?

Towing with a rope is actually illegal apart from being a bad idea. You have to use a towing brace if you want to tow a car with another car (without using a trailer of course;)).

Only options you have is to either hire a car trailer and tow it, get the car on a tow truck or get it fixed in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

taking a saxo from dublin to sligo for repair, and you still have a citreon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

old boy wrote: »
    taking a saxo from dublin to sligo for repair, and you still have a citreon ?

Its a long story but I've picked up a 01' Saxo for a grand, in great nick but needs a new head gasket. Plan is to fix it and sell it on.

I know a garage in Sligo that will sort it out for 650, best quote I've got in Dublin is 900.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Its a long story but I've picked up a 01' Saxo for a grand, in great nick but needs a new head gasket. Plan is to fix it and sell it on.

I know a garage in Sligo that will sort it out for 650, best quote I've got in Dublin is 900.

Sticking it on the back of a breakdown truck would cost at least €300

Car is in Shankill, anyone recommend a decent mechanic that won't cost a fortune?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

CW transport would prob be cheaper than 300.. We use them alot and they're fairly reliable. They're based in naas but were in dublin so they'll pick up and drop off anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

CW transport would prob be cheaper than 300.. We use them alot and they're fairly reliable. They're based in naas but were in dublin so they'll pick up and drop off anywhere.

If it's a runner and will go on one of their big trucks then it would be less than €300. If it needs dragging up on to the flat bed it would be pricey.

Yeah its drivable but in its current state it will overheat very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Maybe you could hire a tow truck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I think no matter what way you look at it it's going to cost more than the 250 you are saving. Between having it towed to Sligo and juice back and then add in taking a day to go over and collect it (train fare/bus/lift?)

Try a few more garages in Dublin. I know a good indy in Dublin if you want to pm me for his number. Prices are not bad

• Advertisement

Yeah fire it on please

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Get yourself an A frame (towing bar), provided you have a tow bar. they can be had for about 200 and you can tow cars on your own.

Thought I saw one on adverts a while back...turns out I did! http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=79562&cat=45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 steeo

Only after seeing this thread now, I went to Sligo last Saturday with an empty car transporter I hired to pick up a car there and bring it to Cork.

Could have brought the car down for a few quid and killed 2 birds with 1 stone. :mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement