Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pay VRT with UK tax & test??

Options
  • 24-11-2008 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Listen, I'm sure this has been covered already but can't for the life of me get a straight answer. Recently got a second-hand motor up North with full years MOT until Nov 09 and a full years car tax as well.

I've been told by one or two people that if the car's taxed, tested and insured (in the Rep) that the guards cannot lift it. Is this the case or I am being naive? My intention is to keep it Northern Reg unitl the tax and test are up on it, then border it. That way I'm saving on having to pay out now and VRT will be alittle bit less expensive come the time. I'm living about Galway and see plenty of yellow plates, so what are the chances I get stung for boardering it in the short term? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i do not condone or endorse any of this kinda behavior, just remember, them Vrt guys drive uncover without the give away lights in the bumps and 3 ariels and such, so your risking your own neck, nobody to blame when/if you get caught...

keep a few quid in the pocket for vrt and fines just incase... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a guy alongside me has a top of the range accord since june, its still on yellow plates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

S.I.R wrote: »
    them Vrt guys drive uncover without the give away lights in the bumps and 3 ariels and such

That's because they are not Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

old boy wrote: »
    a guy alongside me has a top of the range accord since june, its still on yellow plates

my neighbours brother in law is driving around on NI plates on his M3 since Feb....how do these people get away with it?

What about insurance? I presume they have NI address...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 coyled

Again insurance can be a tricky one, they cover you alright under the assumtion that you'll border it within a given time etc...Has there ever been the case where insurance hasnt paid out becasue the car wasnt cleared?? I know this isnt legit but there's loads of yellow plates around, so what's the deal??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

coyled wrote: »
    Listen, I'm sure this has been covered already but can't for the life of me get a straight answer. Recently got a second-hand motor up North with full years MOT until Nov 09 and a full years car tax as well.

I've been told by one or two people that if the car's taxed, tested and insured (in the Rep) that the guards cannot lift it. Is this the case or I am being naive? My intention is to keep it Northern Reg unitl the tax and test are up on it, then border it. That way I'm saving on having to pay out now and VRT will be alittle bit less expensive come the time. I'm living about Galway and see plenty of yellow plates, so what are the chances I get stung for boardering it in the short term? Any thoughts?
    If its taxed in the Republic then it would have been VRT'd!
    If its not VRTd then the gardai can take it AFAIK or at least demand that they see the proper registration paperwork wihtin somehting like 10 days!
    old boy wrote: »
    Lex Luthor wrote: »
    my neighbours brother in law is driving around on NI plates on his M3 since Feb....how do these people get away with it?

What about insurance? I presume they have NI address...
    Did either of you report them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 coyled

It's taxed and tested in the North, but will be getting Southern insurance on it. Spoke to afew insurance agents and they give you 30days to clear but will insure initally with the Northern plates. So does that mean people are just chancing it and hoping for the best??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's taxed and tested in the North, but will be getting Southern insurance on it. Spoke to afew insurance agents and they give you 30days to clear but will insure initally with the Northern plates. So does that mean people are just chancing it and hoping for the best??

I don't know, and tbh it doesn't matter.

You are obliged to rerisgister the car & pay VRT as appropriate (within 1 working day), NCT it as due, and to tax and insure it as required.

Why chance your arm on any of these?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's taxed and tested in the North, but will be getting Southern insurance on it.
    Thats not what you said in the first post.
    Spoke to afew insurance agents and they give you 30days to clear but will insure initally with the Northern plates. So does that mean people are just chancing it and hoping for the best??
    The lax explicitly forbids Irish residents from driving non RoI registered cars.
    Furthermore, with the recent Finance bill you stand to lose out even more should you try and 'scam' the system.

The system has been pretty much tried and tested and is quite watertight.
    Forget about it and just VRT it!

Advertisement