Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many peoples Xbox died after downloading NXE.

• 24-11-2008 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Downloaded NXE on 19th, made my avater, played COD4 for a while, turn off xbox. Turn it back on a few hours later, 3RROD!.Unplugged it and turned on again it worked,play for a while. Next day same thing happened,unplugged again and it worked. Then last night turned onXbox 3rrod and kept unpllugging and starting again, still 3rrod.
    This is directly from NXE.
    I will have no Xbox for xmas now.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

no, its a coincidence and the xbox was defective/going to fail anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

Can't say I've had any trouble after the update. However, IF anything starts going wrong, I'm OBVIOUSLY gonna blame the update :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Try the "towel wrapping" trick and get it back to a store and exchange for a new one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No problems with mine, just a conincidence that yours died shortly after the update though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,238 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

tomred1 wrote: »
    Downloaded NXE on 19th, made my avater, played COD4 for a while, turn off xbox. Turn it back on a few hours later, 3RROD!.Unplugged it and turned on again it worked,play for a while. Next day same thing happened,unplugged again and it worked. Then last night turned onXbox 3rrod and kept unpllugging and starting again, still 3rrod.
    This is directly from NXE.
    I will have no Xbox for xmas now.:mad:
    kmick wrote: »
    Try the "towel wrapping" trick and get it back to a store and exchange for a new one.

Or they could simply give MS a ring.

Might not be with the 360 for christmas. Give MS a ring NOW. Get them to email you the UPS tags. Put the 360 in a box (surrounded by newspapers) and when the lables arrive in your inbox, print them off and stick them to the box the 360 is now in. Ring UPS and arrange a pick up time (would probably be tomorrow) and have it sent off to Germany. If it follows the same process my last return did, it would likely be returned to you on December 9th or 10th.

Plus, the fact you installed NXE, and then played a game fine, would indicate it is a coincidence and was going to happen anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

It not a conincidence, there is a huge thread on Xbox.com/forum and loads of other xbox died too. I was just wondering how many Irish people had been affected.

Thanks for the advice,Mitch, I was on to xbox first thing this morn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This reminds me, as of Tuesday 2nd December, if you have a launch day console(Bought on launch day, that is), and you get RROD, then microsoft does'nt want to know you!! Your 3 years is up!!!

If anyone has a launch day console, i advise giving it RR0D and gettin a nice new one of microsoft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Zonda999 wrote: »
    This reminds me, as of Tuesday 2nd December, if you have a launch day console(Bought on launch day, that is), and you get RROD, then microsoft does'nt want to know you!! Your 3 years is up!!!

If anyone has a launch day console, i advise giving it RR0D and gettin a nice new one of microsoft
    not a bad idea!

god has it been 3 years already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Zonda999 wrote: »

but they might not give you a new one in return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,238 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I got a new console off microsoft the other day (in exchange from my multiple ROD failure...) Does this mean my warranty is extended as I have a new console, or is it up on Dec 2nd (as i originally got the console on launch day)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

tomred1 wrote: »
    It not a conincidence, there is a huge thread on Xbox.com/forum and loads of other xbox died too.

Yes, it is a coincidence.

Those other xboxes would most likely have failed at the same time regardless of the NXE update or not. Every time a new game game is released, update is downloaded, or it's a day of the week with an "a" in it there is a thread appearing on the xbox forums about how that unrelated event caused the RROD. They are all just coincidences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

kmick wrote: »

Don't try that towel trick. If your under guarantee send it back, if not do one of the x clamp fixes.
    Towel trick is for starters dangerous, fire hazard. And secondly you can do more damage than good. Never do the towel fix, coz it ain't a fix. You might get the 360 working for a day or a bit longer if your lucky.

Plus check what type of RROD you have, google how to check which RROD you have. 3 red lights its always the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

I got the RROD after installing NXE and Fallout 3 on the hard drive. I'd say it's happening to too many people for it to be mere coincidence

A bit of both I'd say. Seem from Xbox.com forums that its the older 360 models that are crashing and RROD after the update. Newer 360's aren't. All sorts of reports about freezing, crashing, no sound, no picture, the list goes on. The new dash must use more processing power, so it's very possible that its causing RROD on the older models without the 3rd heat sink.

More likely that the publicity surrounding the NXE has caused more people to use their 360's for longer, or just start using them again after having ignored it for a while. Therefore more xboxes are being used, therefore more of them will be failing but only failing now due to being used as opposed to not being used before. And of course someone will now come back saying that they are not using their box any more than they were two weeks ago but it still failed, well it was going to fail anyway, it's just now that it coincides with when the NXE was released.

Do you really think that there is that much more effort being put on the chips in the box now with the updated dash compared to anything else that you used it for before? It's just the dashboard, nothing that fancy, your xbox was going to fail, just happened that there was a new update out this week as well which was a good reason for more people to come out and claim that was the reason for the failiure.

who knows. All I know is mine are fine!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i was thinking bout getting xbox 360 but reading some threads about it makes it seem more trouble than its worth. May just go for ps3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is only for launch consoles, seany. Consoles that are 2+ years old.
    The newer consoles are made of much sterner stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I don't think you will get a 3 year warranty with a replacement xbox.

As far as I'm aware, a warranty is from the time of purchase and ends when the warranty term is over.

Otherwise, everyone would just break their xboxes or whatever product after 2 years and 11 months etc and thus could keep them under warranty for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

It more likely cased by the hardware been stressed either during the firmware upgrade or after. Normal updates are down via a diag pre-boot mode that does not have the full functionality {not all drivers and/or resources loaded/assailable} this may also included the controlling of fans and/or temp sensors.

On top of that your HD was probably running been scanned and there for been access so longer then normally causing both extra heat and cause your system it access part of the HD that have never been used which may have had an error on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I'm worried about my xbox now. I didnt have any problems with the nxe until tonight, tried playing COD4 and it wouldnt connect properly when I was trying to invite my mates into a party for it, and ever since then when I turn on my xbox it only signs into my gamer profile and not my xbox live account. Then when I sign into live manually everything starts freezing every few seconds when I try to do something. Is my xbox on the way out?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

just to let a few of you know when i got the rrod i had it all sorted within 9 days had sent of launch day console and then i got a replacement and a letter saying that the warrenty was extended they would sort it out so i didnt have to go online to change serials and a months free lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Nam_Man

Just traded it a few games today!! And bought the new COD World At War

Left the game running only too come back to 2 red rings .... Only have the fecking thing less than 8mths.

And so fecking close to chrimbo, will I get a replacement?

Might just go out and buy a basic console and attach the HDD to it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

2 red lights is over heating. Do you have it well ventilated (not in a cupboard or buried in a tv stand along with vcr, sound system and dvd player)? Is it sat on the floor on carpet? Maybe its just about to die and get 3 red lights.

2 red lights is over heating. Do you have it well ventilated (not in a cupboard or buried in a tv stand along with vcr, sound system and dvd player)? Is it sat on the floor on carpet? Maybe its just about to die and get 3 red lights.

I'm sure I posted the same thing a while ago? Must have knocked off the internet as I submitted.

Ya Over heating, not RRoD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Nam_Man

Not ta worry ... Mr Moneybags went out and bought a bog standard xbox system. Too get me through the chrimbo xbox period.

Sending off the broken system for a free fix ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

One red ring, almost exactly one year old to the day, the towel trick workedfor about 45 minutes, then dead again. Gamestop said "no chance" without a receipt. Microsoft are giving me the runaround and the request a repair thingonly gives me "A problem occurred, and your request cannot be completed."

Say it ain't so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You need the 3 red ring fault for a free fix, one red ring sounds like something else is wrong. Using a towel will not fix the fault you have, it will cause a 3 red ring fault if you do it right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's in the hotpress, baking away. If it's not happening after that I'm taking it to the dudes in the repair shop, they'll sort it out.

• Advertisement

towel trick or heating in the hotpress.!!!! No wonder its ****ed. Might as well use the Microwave while your at it. Towel trick is not a fix. Did you even find out what the error code was before you started to cook your 360. If I was M/s I wouldn't fix it either.

Advertisement